LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room > Free Boro Tutorials

Old 2009-06-07, 9:08am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout View Post
Brent, If you are following this, or anyone else!! I always have trouble with my tubing when I blow it out. It seems to be thinner in some spots, and not blow out evenly. I was told to get my gather hotter, and I did (soupy hot), but it still had the thin spots. I was thinking that I might need a different flame?? I am kinda lost on it! HELP!

If you wait a second before blowing out, your glass will even the temps a little better. Then blow slowly. As you blow slowly, the thin spots cool a little faster (because they are thinner) and everything evens out.

That is kind of hard to explain I guess. It is best when doing bigger things. Sometimes I'll use a series of little puffs rather than a continuous puff. (spinning everything the whole time of course). Hope that helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-06-09, 7:33am
Glassy Broad :-)

Morning all!!! I work only in soft glass, and I don't have any tubing, (it's on the "list" tho!) There are a couple of ways to do this and achieve the same effect.
You can use a hollow mandrel and blow out a nice bubble OR, make a hollow bead on a regular mandrel, get it nice and round, add your dots, and start covering the dots with clear dots. Just keep going, and going and going. LOL!!! I get the same depth, and the loverly colors, only using my ever-so-pretty 104 glass. I'll post pictures after I get everything moved and set up again. Hope this helps? AND I hope I'm not sticking my nose in where it doesn't belong, lol
Nita

Missing my Mini cc & two oxy cons!

The difference between Try, and Triumph, is a little Umph!
Old 2009-06-09, 10:32am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitadee View Post
Morning all!!! I work only in soft glass, and I don't have any tubing, (it's on the "list" tho!) There are a couple of ways to do this and achieve the same effect.
You can use a hollow mandrel and blow out a nice bubble OR, make a hollow bead on a regular mandrel, get it nice and round, add your dots, and start covering the dots with clear dots. Just keep going, and going and going. LOL!!! I get the same depth, and the loverly colors, only using my ever-so-pretty 104 glass. I'll post pictures after I get everything moved and set up again. Hope this helps? AND I hope I'm not sticking my nose in where it doesn't belong, lol
Nita
Great idea Nita. : )
Now this is on my list of things to try.

Thanks for all the great tips ya'll.

Amelia

ps: Nita, your nose is fine. Dont worry bout it. : )
Old 2009-06-09, 7:11pm

I would do the last step only after it has been cooled
Old 2009-06-09, 9:20pm

Thanks for this tutorial. It's very inspiring and gives me a good reason or two to get my boro and silver glasses out again!

I'm soooo glad I didn't sell my boro!
Old 2011-12-28, 10:35pm
Marbles, dude, Marbles

Depending on the size tubing, you need a certain size torch-not just to blow the bubble, but to keep the whole thing warm enough so it doesn't crack while you are putting down dots.

Old 2014-05-20, 2:00pm

u lost me at the encasement. so i put the dots on the color then melt in then encase in clear
Old 2014-05-20, 3:21pm

Thanks for Sharing - Think i'll just skip the last step though /wink.