No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2015-09-18, 5:49pm

Default Courses via internet or CD ?

Hello all..

So yeah .. im in Quebec Canada.. more precisely in Sherbrooke, little city just between Quebec and Montreal City..

Unfortunately i cant find any sort or program or course or people doing lampworking stuff ...

I was wondering if any one could refer or suggest me some sort of beginner course ... Maybe via webcam .. or maybe on cd ?

Im not really into books but i would do it to learn the basic.. i looked up 50 hrs + videos on Youtube on lampworking, glass blowing.. beads making or marble making... but i feel i need to learn the terminology of all those operation.. mandrel, punty bla bla bla ...

I need also to understand more about the physic magic happening there ... temperature and different kind of glass.. witch one can be mix and not ...

I got really basic understanding so far.. glass rods are on their way.. and the more i can learn the more respectful i will feel for that glass !

Any suggestion ?
Tank you !
Old 2015-09-19, 5:16am

Welcome!

Like you, I had nothing nearby to attend when I wanted to learn, so YouTube was my primary teacher. Never bought any books, either. I would suggest using the free videos available until you play around a little. Play with the cheapest of the colors to start. Save that silver glass for a little later. This site is the best resource around, hands down! People here are so willing to help and share their knowledge, since we've all been beginners at some point. Lots of free tutorials and questions answered about the basics. Most have been asked, so get familiar with how to search this site. You might also find someone relatively close on here, too! I found someone 1-1/2 hours away and have become friends. We get together and help each other when we can.

Mostly practice, practice, practice! Save those first beads to see your progress. When you get a little more comfortable, a great source of tutorials and information is the Soda Lime Times. Only $5 per month and well worth it! Wait to buy the more expensive tutorials till you know better what direction you want to go and what styles you like. The first real tutorial I bought was Amy Kinsch's (AKDesigns) Storm Tutorial, since her beads are what inspired me to try this art.

Also, make sure your address is available in the RAOGK section. (Random acts of glass kindness) I've had several people send me some wonderful little packages that really made me happy! Watch the garage sales here too for great deals - love those!

Hope that helps!

"I'd rather have glassy friends than classy friends."

Last edited by Michele R.; 2015-09-19 at 5:20am.
Old 2015-09-19, 5:44am

Tanks for the info.. i did subscribe to the Soda Lime Times free issue. Seem not bad at all, probably gonna take a year now

Still hope to find some one close to me but for now Youtube and the forum seem to be my best bet for my money since I dont have anything around here I will go to the library to, I might find something there to ... who know !
Old 2015-09-19, 11:32am
Phill

I got a great deal of solid basic lampworking knowledge from Corina Tettinger's book "Passing The Flame". Well worth the money investment.

Lots of basic stuff to start and with an index in the back for hunting up specific words when I only remember a smattering and need to refresh my aging mind.

I have to recommend any of her videos you can find as well.

I also spent a lot of time watching and rewatching youtube videos and often picked up details the third or fourth time I saw something that I did not catch the first few times through.
Old 2015-09-19, 1:42pm

I'd support Phill for "Passing the flame", purchased it (well, after "foreign exchange rates revolution" we had in russia last year that one was the most expensive book I ever bought in my life) and I can say - it was really worth it. Fun to read, because it is written in that adorable casual style, with excellent sense of humour, not that dull "you should do this, never do that", structured perfectly and is full of step-by-step projects and photos.

Courses are good, sure. But if for some reason (timing, costs, distance - whatever) you can not afford right now - you still can squeeze a lot from books, free videos and of course your torch, glass and practice.
Old 2015-09-19, 2:36pm

I google Passing the flame ... it seem their are many version of it ? or author ?

Anyways ill give a try at the library.

Tanks for the infos ...

I just come out of school at 33 years old and loved it ! i taught it could be really nice to find some physical course by night once or twice a week.. Unfortunately under 50 kilometers around.. forget about it

Im still posting on social network to find any one close to me that do some lampwork or did some !
Old 2015-09-19, 3:26pm

I have edition 3, purchased this year.

I think you can find earlier editions at ebay or go directly to the author's page http://www.corinabeads.com/pages/Passingtheflame.php or look at the online lampwork stores.

You have courses in just 50 kms away from you? Well, my brother in law lives in Toronto and says "waterfall is so far, 100 km..."
Old 2015-09-19, 3:40pm

Great ill look the edition 3 than ...

I said 50 klm ... but could be more ... even in the big city of montreal i dint find anything yet ( about 130 klm from me... ) And i would be willing to make those klm for like a week end course (8 hrs a day let say) But im not in to do a 50+ klm ride for a 1 hr or 2 course..

I find it really sad that here around even in the Quebec province.. their seem to be nothing except maybe particular that does the hobby (less than 10 i would guess) but nothing more

Maybe i would find more if i could get the french word for lampworking LOL I tried Glass blowing (souffleur de verre) nothing there to..

Im lucky i have you people to help me out and youtube will probably ... again.. be one of my best friend !
Old 2015-09-19, 4:33pm

If you are looking for some basic information about setting up a lampwork studio, what equipment is involved, etc., I suggest the following link. There are 8 posts in that blog. No videos, but it is free. It doesn't get into actually making anything, but you said you needed basic vocabulary and basic information to understand the youtube videos, so this could be a place to start.

https://alchemistressbeads.wordpress...ng-your-space/

I live in Ontario, so I have no idea about lampworking courses in Quebec.

Darrell
Old 2015-09-19, 4:45pm

If you want to try it - just try it. Well, you'll spend a bit more for trial and error - yes, you will. May be more than a bit. But just turn your torch on and try. It's a long way overall but it starts from your own first footprint..
Old 2015-09-19, 5:02pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwgrant View Post

tank you.. ill give a try fo sure
Old 2015-09-19, 5:14pm

There is a glass school in Montreal called Espace Verre. According to their website they do offer weekend courses in lampworking and they may know of resources closer to you. Also the instruction would be in French.

Darrell
Old 2015-09-19, 6:30pm
Phill

Flamework is another phrase that may help you find training on the internet.

Also I studied the folks melting Boro even though I only work with soft glass myself.

The amount of time they spend with the glass out of the flame makes me crazy because mine would all be shattered all over the table but some of the methods taught me a thing or three.

Look for other forums as well. There is one in Australia and one in England and there is the glass section on the Wet Canvas forum and ISGB and one or two others whose names escape me at the moment.
Old 2015-09-19, 9:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwgrant View Post
There is a glass school in Montreal called Espace Verre. According to their website they do offer weekend courses in lampworking and they may know of resources closer to you. Also the instruction would be in French.

Darrell
Nice !.. ill give them a call ! they have a course on saturday 9 to 17 for 110$
That might interest me !!!
Old 2015-09-20, 6:57pm
Beadnsprite

Corina Tettinger's book "Passing the Flame" is the best 1st book to get. Excellent explanations and pictures to follow.
A great video, if you can find it, is by Jim Smircich, "Smircich Makes Beads Volume 1". Jim is the master of heat control. I learned a lot from this video and I have friends that borrow it all the time (and they borrow it more than once).
Most of what you are going to learn is by practise. Just turn on the torch and melt that glass, go play and have fun with it.
Old 2015-09-20, 8:30pm
Phill

Aye, there is a lot of "body learning" you will want to get out of the way in the beginning.

"How long you have to admire the glass before putting it back in to the flame with out it exploding on you" is one and "how different colors behave differently in the heat" is another.

Transparent glass is usually stiffer than opaque glass and finding the sweet spot where 'stringer' will melt the way you want it to and learning that some bead release stays stuck better as long as it is hot are just a few of the details you want to get comfortable with before you start playing with the more expensive glass that does not want to be reheated too very much.

Play a lot.
Make a dozen of the same thing and look at the difference between the first one and the last one.

Corning Museum of Glass has some excellent free videos of hour long classes by some of the experts in the field and are well worth the time of watching 3 or 4 times.
Old 2015-10-10, 10:22am

Kathy Walters at Bedrock supply in Edmonton, Alberta teaches bead making. Not sure how far you are, but she is really nice. Also Vicki at Expressive glass near Hamburg NY, USA
Old 2015-11-28, 6:06pm
Avada Kedavra

Hi Darrell thank you so much for recommending my blog, that was really nice of you. Since writing it, I've gone back and updated it a little to make it clearer for a new person to flameworking looking for information/language on what things are called. Ckielcave I hope it was useful to you or that you found information on there that enabled your search.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-11-28, 6:23pm
Slogan Challenged...

I never took a class. It would have made it easier to start. I read everything I could find for about two years before I got a kit. You-tube and the archives here are a fantastic resource. Some folks really like classes too, and took those when they started.

No wrong way, whatever works for you. Make sure either way you understand how to have a safe work space at home, or wherever you would set up your studio. Enjoy!

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy: