Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-10-20, 9:49pm

Default What brand clear do you use?

What clear is everyone using? Is the vetrofond clear now or does it do ok? Also I know that at one time everyone was talking about the lausha cracking... so what do you use? Or are they ok now...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-10-20, 9:54pm

I mainly use Moretti stringers, thanks to Mary-Moth getting me hooked.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2005-10-20, 10:14pm

I use either the Vetrofond or the Lauscha. Actually am phasing out the Vet and changing to all Lauscha.

Old 2005-10-20, 10:24pm
Mary Lockwood

Well...I mostly use lauscha...but my all time favorite is 12mm rods of effetre stripped clean then pulled down into smaller rod size. Maybe 3-4mm or so. More like super fat stringers...or puny lampworking rod size. LOL

If I'm encasing something big, I strip clean the 12mm rods and use them the way they are...kinda like 7-8mm or so.

~~Mary

Old 2005-10-20, 10:26pm
Student of DachZen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth
but my all time favorite is 12mm rods of effetre stripped clean then pulled down into smaller rod size.
Mary, I've heard of "stripping" down clear rods, but I have no idea how one would go about doing that. Is there a tutorial somewhere, or can you briefly sum the process up?

Thanks!
Teresa

P.S. I currently use Lauscha
Old 2005-10-20, 10:35pm
Mary Lockwood

I have heard two different ways of doing it, but this is the method I use:

First thing I do is stick the last 4 inches of the rods into the kiln to heat up. These larger rods seem shockier because they are thicker...preheating helps with that.

Fast version: Heat the last half inch of the rod to molten, and pull the whole end off with the tweezers. Now that the tip is clean, I will form a large round gather without letting the rod fold over on itself at all. Just keep the tip up, and twirl slowly the whole time and the outside of the rod will stay on the outside of the gather. At this point, I can end up with a ping pong ball sized gather. Let this stiffen up a bit. Now, you should be able to see any scummy, bubbly, dirty areas on the suface of this gather. Spot heat these evil spots and pull them off the gather with tweezers. Continue until you have the whole surface of that gather clean.

Now, reheat the gather and proceed to pull it down with a punty to whatever diameter you want.

The trick is not letting the outside of the rod fold over into the inside of the gather. If you were using even thicker rods, you could simply spot heat the scum on the rod itself, without forming the gather, and clean it off that way. You could even completely strip a rod, where you remove the whole outer layer whether it looks scummy or not. Sometimes there is stuff on there we can't actually see. I would think this is more important if you were doing paperweights or marbles. Something where you have a large lens of clear. It will keep your seams clean.

For beadmaking purposes, I have found that spot stripping the gather is enough to keep me happy.

~~Mary

Old 2005-10-20, 10:45pm
koregon

Well Dan uses pounds and pounds of clear, he encases every bead he makes...He likes moretti the best, we buy the 8mm size and clean it well with alcohol and blue shop wipes. He has tried Lauscha and Vetrofond, gave both a chance and didn't care for them like he did the moretti....we buy it by 10 to 20 pounds at a time...and ask for the cleanest stuff they have...the best they have...and usually come out ok. anything smaller than 8mm and Dan doesn't care for it...gotta be 8mm at least...when he makes marbles he likes it even bigger.

Old 2005-10-20, 11:12pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

I used to use Moretti, because Lauscha was way to thick to handle for my little HH ( 11 mm) but since I have my minor I always use Lauscha. I love the clarity ( it is really that much cleaner and smoother to work with imo) and have not had one crack yet due to the lauscha, I did have some cracks encasing Czech glass, but that was just me being dumb... tourmaline pink does not like to be encased at all, neither does denim blue and smoked topaz.

suzanne

Old 2005-10-21, 1:41am
Goddess

I use Lauscha clear 2-3mm rods for encasing, it melts so much better on a HH. For other stuff I use regular sized lauscha. I've never tried Moretti because I heard is was scummy but maybe I'll give it a try. It is definitely cheaper.

Old 2005-10-21, 1:47am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

My current fave is the Moretti Superclear. Of course, as soon as I find something I like, it either gets crappy (like so many of the clears) or it's no longer available (like the Moretti Superclear). LOL!

Also Available in
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

Old 2005-10-21, 3:40am
Kinder Gentler Sociopath

Simax

Old 2005-10-21, 3:52am
Cherine Perrin Glass

Lauscha Clear Stringers!
Old 2005-10-21, 4:10am
Word to your mother

Lauscha clear stringer is great. The big stuff is ok too if you got patience on a HH....can't wait to give it a try on the Piranha.

Old 2005-10-21, 5:21am
sunscreen me baby

Big ol honking rods of vetro that I got from Frantz for $4.50 a pound last winter!

~

Old 2005-10-21, 6:34am
Bad Machine

For clear boro I use Simax.

Old 2005-10-21, 6:44am
Born on date: 11/3/09!

I use 3-4mm clear lausca rods. I just can't get morretti to stay clean with my hothead. The lauscha works wonderful. Very clear and sparkly.

The little love of my life...
Old 2005-10-21, 8:29am

Sorry to post this twice - I didn't see this one and started a post with this.....

This week I have been able to try a couple of rods of new 104 clear. I loved it!! Arrow Springs worked with Kugler to develop a new crystal clear. It is wonderful!
The glass has the same consistency of the Moretti transparents, but with no scum. I love the viscosity; it is so easy to work with. Since the COE is 104 I have had no compatibility issues. I have made lightly encased beads, heavy encased beads and have encased all of the tricky greens – so far this stuff is PERFECT!
The clear Italian glass of the past few years has been disappointing at best. I am so excited we will finally have a clear that is clear!
Jiley
Old 2005-10-21, 9:01am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Boy, would I like to try that stuff, Jiley! Do you know when it will be available?

Also Available in
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

Old 2005-10-21, 9:17am

I think they (Arrow Springs) have some available now and more on the way. This is the first batch and it is fab!
Hi Tink!
Jiley
Old 2005-10-24, 7:58am

Rocio uses Moretti Clear. She had switched to Lauscha in the past, but Lauscha doesn't interact with reduction frits as well as Moretti. So now she only uses Moretti.