Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-01-05, 9:12pm
Burning Fingers!

I make 4 spacers per mandrel and do the reheat method. I tried the no reheat and move on method, but I lost too many. I find it is just a dance - lay down the footprint for the spacer, go back and reheat the other/s, then melt down the glass on the new one, reheat the other/s, - repeat.
I am in awe of those that can do multiple decorated beads per mandrel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/

Old 2011-01-06, 5:39am
Glassmangler

When I'm doing boro beads (even multi-layer) I usually do 3 per mandrel. I put down the black base, melting slightly but not perfectly, then add color and melt mostly smooth, then add clear wrap and finish. Three seems to be the magic number for me to avoid cracking.
Old 2011-01-06, 7:15am
Glass-aholic

I have challenged myself since reading the contents of this thread!
SO FAR I can make
6-8, 8-10mm rounds with a spiral of clear on them (melted in)
10 on average 5-6mm donuts
3 small barrel beads, pressed w/ spiral tongs (only 3 because I need more space when I use the lentil press to aid me)
on average 5 smaller rounds with any dot pattern, or flowers
I found I was only limited by the space I had to work with. I dipped a lot, but I do not think I would go any longer than what I have.

200 beads later I thought I had one that broke, but no.. I just pulled the base color into a line with the transparent overlay and it looked like it might have been a crack but it is SAFE!
Oh and one that I started talking, and well.. ya It was the first bead on the mandrel, and I had not even put anymore on, so It does not count!!

Thanks for the challenge though.. this was fun! I have made many many spacers in multiples, but not bigger beads, I usually only do 2 for pairs if they are larger than a spacer
Oh and I the cupcake idea! I may steal that aslo!!!!!
and yes, when I make one bead, I look at my mandrel, and think about all that wasted bead release too!! So I have mandrels that are dipped A LOT and others that have about 1in of release on them, just so I do not feel like I am wasting bead release!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:

Last edited by jaci; 2011-01-06 at 7:18am.
Old 2011-01-12, 6:33pm
Fire n Sand Glass Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterGlass View Post
When I'm doing boro beads (even multi-layer) I usually do 3 per mandrel. I put down the black base, melting slightly but not perfectly, then add color and melt mostly smooth, then add clear wrap and finish. Three seems to be the magic number for me to avoid cracking.
What bead release do you use for boro? Just wondering because don't thiink mine would let me do 3 beads without issues with it. thanks

~
~
~
~
Old 2011-01-14, 5:14am
Gonna get blow'd up!

I have done two per mandrel, and I am satisfied

Old 2011-01-14, 6:01am
Detail G-Mama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaBean View Post
^^^ Oh no! Not again!

As for the spacers... I put 4-6 on a mandrel. I can't get a consistant size unless I do. I make earring pairs on the same mandrel too. It's the only way they'll even come close to being a pair. The trick is to either work fast or keep bathing them all in the flame.
This is what I do also except I don't keep flashing the mandrel, except when I am making earring pairs. If you are doing spacers, once you have a spacer shaped, move on to the next and do not add heat to the one you just made. Work a little quicker but don't add heat to the ones you just made or they will explode!

Old 2013-01-26, 12:21pm
New Lampworker

I don't know about that! I've had spacer beads that cracked as much as two or three months or more after they were made, that were not kept warm. I didn't make them, but I called the man I had purchased them from. He replaced the ones I still had, but I'm sure, some of them had already gone out in jewelry I sold. I don't buy from him anymore!
Old 2013-01-26, 3:19pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirlannd View Post
I don't know about that! I've had spacer beads that cracked as much as two or three months or more after they were made, that were not kept warm. I didn't make them, but I called the man I had purchased them from. He replaced the ones I still had, but I'm sure, some of them had already gone out in jewelry I sold. I don't buy from him anymore!
It sounds as if perhaps they weren't annealed... properly annealed beads should not spontaneously crack after annealing, no matter how they were made.

Old 2013-01-26, 6:08pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
It sounds as if perhaps they weren't annealed... properly annealed beads should not spontaneously crack after annealing, no matter how they were made.
I agree, I have made thousands of spacer beads... I take almost a thousand with me to each show I do. I'm sure some of the colors I have are from when I first started taking them to shows a few years ago and I haven't seen any of them spontaneously crack and I also make them 6-8 on a mandrel every time.

I'm sure none of my customers have had any break either, since I do the same shows every year. They all know it, I'm sure they would have brought them back to me or at the very least, told me about any breaks.

Old 2013-01-27, 11:01am

So, as it turns out, there are MANY paths for accomplishing a glass technique!
I have sat in amazement watching Sylvie Lansdowne lay down 12-15 spacers on one mandrel. And the kicker here is that they were ALL the same size and very controlled. Don't assume if something is done efficiently, that it looses quality....these were gorgeous! I'm sure it goes back to practice, personal style and years of beading. I wonder how many spacer beads Sylvie and other beaders who have been at this for a long time have made? I bet that number would wow us and them.
-kristy
Old 2013-01-27, 11:39am
"Sinners have soul too"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyN View Post
So, as it turns out, there are MANY paths for accomplishing a glass technique!
I have sat in amazement watching Sylvie Lansdowne lay down 12-15 spacers on one mandrel. And the kicker here is that they were ALL the same size and very controlled. Don't assume if something is done efficiently, that it looses quality....these were gorgeous! I'm sure it goes back to practice, personal style and years of beading. I wonder how many spacer beads Sylvie and other beaders who have been at this for a long time have made? I bet that number would wow us and them.
-kristy
I have made close to 400 spacer beads in one session. I never thought of keeping track of all the sessions of making spacer beads. No wonder my hand hurts...

Old 2013-01-27, 1:09pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen-mom View Post
I have made close to 400 spacer beads in one session. I never thought of keeping track of all the sessions of making spacer beads. No wonder my hand hurts...
lol....hmm Donna, maybe we better not ponder the number of spacers, or your hand may hurt worse with the realization!
Old 2013-01-27, 1:18pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Kristy... I was kind of shocked when I typed that out. I'm not even going to try and figure it out.

Old 2013-01-28, 4:47pm
Bohemian Bead Peddler

I can do anywhere from 4-6 on 1 mandrel, but I always do the same thing: start at one end, work towards the other, no re-heating/insurance heating along the way. Make the bead, move on, don't fool with the ones you already did. Occasionally I'll have 1 break but not too often.

Old 2013-02-02, 7:42am

Discs are hard cuz they crack easier due to thickness (or lack of!) You can see upper left I lost one clear due to a crack.

But it sure saves space in my kiln and dipping all those mandrel would take forever!!

and also ......
Old 2013-02-04, 10:42pm
Pincel de Fuego

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellyloo View Post
Ooo, big holed bead multiples! I can't even get 1 bhb without making it wonky.
Thank you. You just made me feel so much better. My BHB are always so wonkyyyy it makes me so sad lol...

/
/
Old 2013-02-05, 3:48am
Unmedicated since '62

When I make earring pairs I have to make them together or I can never get them the same size and shape

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy