Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-11-03, 3:46pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

Default Gold leaf vanishes

I don't work with 104 glass much any more but yesterday I was playing with some 104 cobalt and tried to add some gold leaf to a bead. I haven't used gold leaf before. As I reheated it in the flame all of a sudden the gold vanished. I could see it 'in' the cobalt sort of like a ghosty stain. Is this normal? does one not reheat when gold leaf is applied?

Thanks, PJH
Old 2011-11-03, 4:23pm
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

Gold leaf will burn off easily. Get your bead hot & burnish the gold leaf on. Then wave the bead in & out of the flame to get your gold leaf like you want it. Don't put the whole bead in the flame with a lot of heat or your gold leaf will go bye bye.

Vivian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-11-03, 4:33pm
one day at a time

Oh, thanks for letting me know! I have only worked with gold foil before and it stayed on the bead, but I didn't know the leaf could burn off like that. I thought it had a higher melting temp than silver?
Old 2011-11-03, 6:14pm
Sucks at being nice

In my experience it flat out disapears when the flame hits it.

Old 2011-11-03, 6:59pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisi View Post
Oh, thanks for letting me know! I have only worked with gold foil before and it stayed on the bead, but I didn't know the leaf could burn off like that. I thought it had a higher melting temp than silver?
It does, but your torch flame is probably higher than the melting point if you are using oxy/propane.

Sterling is something like 1650 and gold is a bit higher but your flame is hotter still.
Old 2011-11-03, 7:19pm

I encase mine in clear a lot. It's so easy.
Will the gold leaf rub off without encasing?

Pandora, Biagi, Troll, and more, bead sets, and focals.

Old 2011-11-03, 9:06pm

It shouldnt disappear but it does melt to next to nothing I use it fume with. I ball up a whole sheet of leaf, pick it up on a punty with a ball of cobalt and it melts down to tiny balls on the surface. Almost not noticeable. The sheets of leaf are extremely thin. When I use it in the hotshop I do as others have said. Apply it to a hot surface and burnish it in until it's smooth.
Old 2011-11-04, 10:01am
Curmudgeon Engineering

I am guessing the burnishing step, that I didn't do, was my downfall. Thanks for the info guys.
PJH
Old 2011-11-04, 10:24am
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

Gold leaf will rub off eventually without encasing. I've had beads for years & the gold looks fine. You would have to really rub on them for it to come off IMO.

Vivian

-

Old 2011-11-05, 12:27am

Thanks, Vivian!!

Pandora, Biagi, Troll, and more, bead sets, and focals.

Old 2011-11-05, 1:23am

When you encase it do you have to be careful not to get the bead too hot? When I've encased silver, I've gotten the bead too hot and it caused the silver to disappear, even though it's under the glass. Does this happen with gold?

Old 2011-11-05, 4:10am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by truegem View Post
When you encase it do you have to be careful not to get the bead too hot? When I've encased silver, I've gotten the bead too hot and it caused the silver to disappear, even though it's under the glass. Does this happen with gold?
Yep, you have to heat really gently

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2017-09-09, 5:19am

Default Gold leaf rubs off

Hello all , thank you for sharing advises! Bead, plated with a gold foil is one of my the very favorite. But sadly I have noticed, that gold foil rubs off quite soon, if it's not encased with a clear. Especially if wearing a gold plated bead on a bracelet..
Could you please share any advice or recommend really great tutorial how to encase gold foil with a very thin encasement, so that not to loose the beauty of the gold foil?
If possible... (because the most part of the gold foil disappears, when making an encacement). I'm using an oxy-propane torch.
Thank you so much in advance

Last edited by efi; 2017-09-09 at 5:24am.
Old 2017-09-09, 11:17am
Slogan Challenged...

When encasing gold leaf, don't put the bead back into the flame after you have applied the leaf. Also don't put it on a really hot base. Burnish it and keep it under the flame. Have your clear ready to go. Don't use really hot clear as it will melt off the gold. The thickness of the clear doesn't matter as to the appearance of the gold, except that a thicker layer of clear will magnify it more. So you can also use less gold on a smaller base with a thicker encasement to have a regular size bead and you really will have the same effect. It takes a couple of times to get the hang of it, but not hard otherwise. Good luck!

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2017-09-10, 7:16pm

Also maybe try Zephyr clear by double helix it melts more easily so you are less likely to overheat.