Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-09-04, 2:52am
Formerly Fireflyartglass

Default cmon share your boro recipies for us newbies!!

So any suggestions of some easy recipies??? I am just a newbie and have no idea about what to put with what. I am about to buy more glass from a supplier that sells northstar and ga so come on and share your info!!!
Leanne
Old 2006-09-04, 4:48am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

You might want to look here in the boro showthreads, there is a lot of information

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-09-08, 3:42am
Formerly Fireflyartglass

cmon guys PUHLEEEEESE!!!??? Pretty puleese with frit on top?
Old 2006-09-08, 4:17am
Serenity Now!

Why don't you try www.technicalvideorental.com
You can rent dvd's there...they've got a huge variety. I would recommend Doug Remschneider's (sp??!) Boro Bead Magic...he's got a lot of recipes in there that'll keep you quite busy!

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2006-09-08, 5:50am
In search of her path....

also The Boro Recipe Cookbook by Rocio Bearer and Loti Robbins is a GREAT place to start it has recipes annealing times all layed out for you plain and simple WITH pictures and its a fairly resonable price too.

http://www.lampworkingsupplies.com/p...ar+Glass+Color.

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2006-09-09, 4:40am
Formerly Fireflyartglass

bbooo hooo hoo waaaaaa I'm in australia and technical video rental doesn't rent out to us. Something about being unable to recover their product with another countries laws if I don't return it. I don't wanna keep it I just wanna watch it!!!!
Thanks for the tip about lori robbins and rocios book I already have it. Thanks for you help guys!
Old 2006-09-09, 2:32pm
Fire Goddess

Hi leanne,
I was looking for suggestions a few weeks ago about boro and nobody mentioned the above book that you say you have. Is it any good. I can't remember the name. I have the dvd by Doug Remschneider on Boro Bead Magic and it has been great. it has recipes and techniques annealing times and is clear and easy to follow. I saw it on ebay a few weeks ago. You might find it helpful!
Cher

Old 2006-09-09, 8:14pm
AKA Vanna

You can get Lori's and Ron's book right on Lori's site at www.LoriRobbins.com.

Here is something that I have been wanting to try myself, but I haven't gotten around to it...Egyptian White Sand rolled in DAP Small Frit and encased in Rootbeer or Cinnamon. Work the EWS fairly cool, it tends to boil.

I also have been having a blast with the Momka Gypsy Queen frit.

Kim's Klub
. Come on, you know you wanna!!

"Mama, I need one of those beads in Elvis Red, Mint and Bubblegum." My Daughter Austyn, age 6 (Future Glass Artist)
Old 2006-09-09, 8:16pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Double Amber Purp base bead rolled in butterscotch frit and then encased.
Nummy!

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2006-09-09, 8:19pm

Hi Karen,

Do you flame strike after encasing, or do you let your kiln do the work? I am still flame striking most stuff, but that can get very tiring when it is encased.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2006-09-09, 8:43pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Ah, Eric...a simple question with no simple answers.
Sometimes I flame strike, to get a deeper purply color.
Sometimes I say f-it, and just stick it in the kiln and end up with a more
ambery color.
Your best bet, if you want to wear the creative shoes, is make a WHOLE bunch
of beads with DAP the same way and count seconds in your head as you flame strike them. Example: Make your first couple of beads, and flame strike them for 5 seconds. Make your next couple of beads and flame strike them for 7 seconds. So on and so on - increase your flame striking by 2 second increments. The more beads you make and the more you vary your time, the more different shades you'll get.

Now, hopefully, when you take all these beads out of the kiln, you'll have the same style bead in graduated shades of purple - light to dark, for a really cool necklace.

You can do this with other colors too - but DAP is so strike-sensitive that it really is the best one to do this with (IMHO).
I was talking with some other boro makers today at the flamesurfers meeting, and I said (and he agreed) that if I just had 1 color to use I'd pick DAP because there are so many variations you can get from that glass it's practically unlimited.
Try it out and post your results!
...back to my wine...cheers!

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book