LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-08-13, 3:53am

Yes, I knew about this. That is another reason I was so stinking mad. It wasn't my place to tell it though. As far as buying glass though and as far as our voicing our problems that is not what is costing them. It is Marcie's mis-management. Maybe our calling attention to it yes, to a certain degree. But do you think we are suppose to sweep it under the rug and ignore it? People need to know that CarolAnne's trips and Marcies are two totally different things. So they thought they were canceling Marcie's trips when really they canceled on CarolAnne. She had some GREAT stuff set up for them too. I hate they are going to miss out on that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-08-13, 6:40am
kindasorta Spring almost

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadstillmyheart View Post
Wow Carolanne, that's unfortunate. I'm sorry you guys are taking a hit, really sorry.

Renee and Liza, what Carolanne has mentioned is another example of how Lauscha is being negatively impacted by the mismanagement of the COTM enterprise. It is VERY real that people are perceiving this as a Lauscha problem, not just a Marcie problem. That pretty much stinks. And it's costing the folks in Lauscha. Based on the rates, if I remember correctly, this is many thousands of dollars, plus the trickle down to the town from shopping/food/accomodations. So, yes, this is affecting their economy.
It is a really good itinerary, too. We will have to see how it goes from here. We put a lot into the itinerary and it's just really nice. I hope people will still come.

And people who have businesses who want to purchase things from local businesses, can contact me to receive introductions for free - I know everyone and I speak German. I am free Monday through Friday, from 8am until 1:30 pm.

People who desire information regarding Lauscha companies, do not need to pay for a tour in order to come here. It would be much better if they took that money and bought something from a local business.

I have a very good relationship with the Tourist Information Bureau, and between us, we can assist anyone with their Lauscha business enquiries.

:-/

Carol Anne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-08-13, 7:50am

Carol Anne, If I had the funds, a Passport and could convince myself to get over my fears, I'd be there in a heartbeat.
Old 2007-08-13, 9:34am
moth to the flame

Quote:
Dona,

If you are referring to the questions you asked in post 928, please refer to my answers in posts 933 and 935. (Those are the post numbers at the time of this post...if a previous post gets deleted....I think the numbers shift...anyway...)

Thanks.

As to who "ran off" Marcie, I have no clue. You should send her an email and ask her.

I don't need to as I recall you were the one who suggested if COTM was a business she needed to take it to her website. So she set up a website w/ a blog.
Promotionals, tips etc can be posted here but business matters handled through the site.
No other businesses here on LE are expected to use LE for their customer service problems, why should Marcie be expected to?
That seems like a double standard to me.

Concerning your question about HOW is Lauscha's reputation being affected. I have spoken to a vendor who was at the Gathering and there were LOTS of people questioning them as to what was "wrong" with Lauscha in regard to the COTM club. (Apparently the COTM and all its goings on was being discussed quite a lot...and not favorably. I wasn't there, but I have no reason to think that what was reported to me was false.)

There is a lot of bad information being circulated (call it the rumor mill if you like) about Lauscha's handling of COTM and that is unfortunate.

Dona, I apologize if I have missed any more of your questions. There were a couple of questions that I thought you intended to be rhetorical, so I didn't respond.
No problem, I guess some could have been taken rhetorically but I am usually
straight up in asking unless I say I am "speculating" or stating "rhetorically".
End repsonse to Kendra.

The rumor mill it what it is and to me it seems like its more fun to "talk" than to go and get the facts. Many a good reputation has been lost due to wagging tongues.

In this case all one has to do is email to get the facts if you want to believe Marcie. People are choosing to believe one side or the other rather than take into consideration both parties involved are human and can make mistakes.
In the business world I find one company won't bad mouth another since it really makes them look bad so I see 2 vendors who have made mistakes and people wanting ONE to point the finger at and I think neither in this case are above reproach.

And I'm with Nancy. Never would I let this situation keep me from going to Lauscha if I had the funds and I would educate myself on the company and its employees before I went and look forward to seeing all the glass!
Speaking for myself, the people who think like the ones Carol Anne described are bizarre to me.

May you always have love to share, health to spare, and friends that care.
Old 2007-08-13, 9:53am
moth to the flame

Quote:
Wow Carolanne, that's unfortunate. I'm sorry you guys are taking a hit, really sorry.

Renee and Liza, what Carolanne has mentioned is another example of how Lauscha is being negatively impacted by the mismanagement of the COTM enterprise. It is VERY real that people are perceiving this as a Lauscha problem, not just a Marcie problem. That pretty much stinks. And it's costing the folks in Lauscha. Based on the rates, if I remember correctly, this is many thousands of dollars, plus the trickle down to the town from shopping/food/accomodations. So, yes, this is affecting their economy.
Hold on a sec.
Wasn't Lauscha late in delivering the first batch of glass due to I thnk the batches didn't turn out right?
How in the world could Marcie be held responsible for production/bad batches and reruns to get the color right?
Someone clue me in here if this is supposed to be factual.

And Marcie is responsible for the economy in Lauscha and tourists refusing to go to Germany due to the club?
This club is less than a year old and the Lauscha business is hurting because of it? IS that what you are saying? Not rhetorical at all.

I had the impression our glass for lampworking was a very SMALL part of who Lauscha makes glass for and keeping Lauscha in business.

Quote:
Founded in 1597 by Christoph Müller & Hans Griener Schwab, this magical mountain village is home to one of the most inspiring glass traditions on earth. With only 4,000 residents, hundreds of them blow glass! As a matter of fact, over one third of the villagers are involved in hot glass! Many of the artists are carrying on father-to-son traditions that have endured for over four hundred years! Lauscha is where montage originated, one of the most difficult and precise flameworking techniques. This historic hamlet is also the birthplace of the Christmas ornament industry. Every winter the townspeople celebrate Kugelmarkt, a snowy outdoor festival where people come from all over the world to buy handblown Christmas ornaments! Another local glass specialty is the making of glass eyes, both for human use as well as for dolls. And, they have their own Glass Princess, who is elected annually.
Maybe I am way off the mark here and am totally misunderstanding I don't know, but the insinuation is that Marcie is singlehandedly affecting a company that has been in business since 1597 is astounding to me.
So if COTM folded tomorrow it would cripple Lauscha? I doubt it!

I love Lauscha glass not matter what and I'll continue to use it. There are plenty of vendors out there who seem to be supported by sales. Paula is a NEW vendor so the market must be able to support it or she would not have invested in it to be a carrier, I would think.

Old 2007-08-13, 10:16am
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizabeads
I don't think that this is reflecting on Lauscha at all.

I agree, Liza.

When it was changed to a business should have been discussed or at least "told" to the members.

Do you think this would have changed anything, though? I don't know.

What is the Gathering for exactly?
I've not been to a Gathering either, but my impression is the same as yours regarding its purpose. I think gossip is probably an inevitability.
Liza and Renee, how would either of you know that this is not affecting Lauscha at all? If you don't think that this is affecting Lauscha, take look a couple of pages back in this very thread where one reader posted that she wanted to try Lauscha glass, but after all the trouble with the club, she is hesitant. That is but one person who voiced her opinion. How many others do you think there are out there with the same mistrust that just haven't posted to a forum about it? Well, there's no need to guess. Carol Anne just posted her experience and that says a lot right there.

Another thing... I keep seeing this whole issue about whether this was a club or a business. My impression from talking to Marcie way back when was that it was a business venture. I referred to it as her Lauscha project. She was very excited about it (and I was excited for her) and talked about having booths at shows and how it was great that her boyfriend was German, etc. I was never under the impression that it was anything but a business. Afterall, what is wrong with having a business?

And about the Gathering... What a shame that the impression you both have is that it is a gossip fest. Any time you get a bunch of people together with a common interest who all know each other on-line, of course you will have gossip. However, the Gathering is so, so much more than the buzz. There are demos and lectures and classes. There is a vendor area where you can shop and talk to the actual people who build and distribute your tools and supplies. There are Open Torch nights where you can sit down and actually try out torches with the manufacturers (or their reps) right there to show you how to run them at their best. Yes, there is the "Bead Bazaar" - the venue made so that the people attending the Gathering could recoup some of their expenses. There are receptions, banquets, parties, bead trading, and all kinds of activities. There is just so much to it! It's sad that all you've heard about it was the gossip.
Old 2007-08-13, 10:18am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeadMaven View Post
There are plenty of vendors out there who seem to be supported by sales. Paula is a NEW vendor so the market must be able to support it or she would not have invested in it to be a carrier, I would think.
Please don't do my thinking for me Dona. I invest in stocks, bonds, oil, and real estate. I buy Lauscha and melt glass for fun. Because I can.
Oops!! Back to trading!! Markets are hopping today!

Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2007-08-13, 10:29am
Word to your mother

Quote:
Hold on a sec.
Wasn't Lauscha late in delivering the first batch of glass due to I thnk the batches didn't turn out right?
How in the world could Marcie be held responsible for production/bad batches and reruns to get the color right?
Someone clue me in here if this is supposed to be factual.

And Marcie is responsible for the economy in Lauscha and tourists refusing to go to Germany due to the club?
This club is less than a year old and the Lauscha business is hurting because of it? IS that what you are saying? Not rhetorical at all.

I had the impression our glass for lampworking was a very SMALL part of who Lauscha makes glass for and keeping Lauscha in business.

Maybe I am way off the mark here and am totally misunderstanding I don't know, but the insinuation is that Marcie is singlehandedly affecting a company that has been in business since 1597 is astounding to me.
So if COTM folded tomorrow it would cripple Lauscha? I doubt it!

I love Lauscha glass not matter what and I'll continue to use it. There are plenty of vendors out there who seem to be supported by sales. Paula is a NEW vendor so the market must be able to support it or she would not have invested in it to be a carrier, I would think.

You read a lot into my post and have exagerated my statements.

I said "people are perceiving this as a Lauscha problem, not just a Marcie problem". NOT JUST a Marcie problem. NOT JUST. As far as I'm concerned, that statement doesn't lay blame on one side as opposed to the other.

And I simply drew attention to the fact that when CarolAnne loses tour business it hurts her and others who provide secondary resources for the tours. The factory makes glass whether or not anybody comes to watch the process.

I NEVER said that Lauscha Glass Factory is hurting because of this. In fact, I'm surprised they would go to the trouble of dealing with running these batches, testing new colors, dealing with all the approval/non approval issues, for a few hundred (?) pounds of glass. I'd say it was more trouble than it's worth. Certainly there are bigger fish to fry.

Old 2007-08-13, 10:53am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Nancy View Post
Carol Anne, If I had the funds, a Passport and could convince myself to get over my fears, I'd be there in a heartbeat.
Nancy....I'm sooo with you on this! We will both get over our "fears" and we'll go to Lauscha together how's that? lol...we might be old and grey by then but we'll be there!!!

And, I won't speak for Paula but as a new vendor myself, I invested in Lauscha because their glass is awesome! Beautiful, vibrant, clear colors. The market isn't that great for me at the moment because there are more well established Lauscha dealers out there and I'm just a small fish in a humungous sea but I will continue to buy their glass and introduce Lauscha to whomever.
The fact that they handpull their glass in this day and age shows how the people still believe in tradition I guess. The glass is not any more expensive then Moretti handpulled colors and I have no compatability problems.

Whoever unbooked their tours with CarolAnne should really reconsider that. What an opportunity you have to be able to fly to Germany and see the glass being made and just to visit the people, the lifestyle..etc.. I would give anything to be able to do that!
CarolAnne is good people and she loves what she does! She's helpuful, insightful and she's honest.
It is sad though like she said. But there is a saying that says, "One bad apple spoils the bunch"
Irene

Old 2007-08-13, 11:38am
moth to the flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaD View Post
Please don't do my thinking for me Dona. I invest in stocks, bonds, oil, and real estate. I buy Lauscha and melt glass for fun. Because I can.
Oops!! Back to trading!! Markets are hopping today!

Paula
I'm not doing your thinking for you Paula.

If you are a smart business woman logic would suggest you would not carry/sell something you could not sell (low or no demand) or would lose money on. If a market is saturated, it can cause a lull in inventory movement and a drop in prices....and a loss in profit.

However if you stock pounds of glass personally because "you can" thats a different matter. Its not business, its personal. The only way to justify investing money to make money(gains) to lose money is if its a personal matter...like loving glass.
You just have the means through your studio to make it available but apparently its not nor was it intended as a major money maker for you.

I understand that practice since we do the same here with a few items.
We don't really make anything on them yet we carry them as a convenience for our customers.

I looked at it from a straight up business move, my mistake.

Old 2007-08-13, 11:45am
moth to the flame

Quote:
You read a lot into my post and have exagerated my statements.

Well we can agree to disagree then

I said "people are perceiving this as a Lauscha problem, not just a Marcie problem". NOT JUST a Marcie problem. NOT JUST. As far as I'm concerned, that statement doesn't lay blame on one side as opposed to the other.

And I simply drew attention to the fact that when CarolAnne loses tour business it hurts her and others who provide secondary resources for the tours. The factory makes glass whether or not anybody comes to watch the process.

I NEVER said that Lauscha Glass Factory is hurting because of this. In fact, I'm surprised they would go to the trouble of dealing with running these batches, testing new colors, dealing with all the approval/non approval issues, for a few hundred (?) pounds of glass. I'd say it was more trouble than it's worth. Certainly there are bigger fish to fry.
I can agree here, and the only thing I could think of to justify the trouble
was for Lauscha to bring in new colors to compete with the big odd lot sales
and enlarge their color palatte...a growing of the company if you will to include lamppworkers in the picture. My impression was that we are but a drop in the buckets for them AFA sales go.

I also thought it was a way to compete with the silver glass companies that are putting out the silver glasses now. That was why I figured the SuperNova and Blutonium were introduced. I may be wrong on the Blutonium, I never got that color so not sure if its like a silver glass or not but it sounds like it by the name - still I am be wrong on that comparison.

Old 2007-08-13, 12:13pm

Quote:

If you are a smart business woman logic would suggest you would not carry/sell something you could not sell (low or no demand) or would lose money on. If a market is saturated, it can cause a lull in inventory movement and a drop in prices....and a loss in profit.

If were a smart business woman I would know that anyone and everything has a price at which it may be ~or~ has been ~bought and sold.

Including some people posting in this thread!!! IMHO!!

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2007-08-13, 12:20pm

Irene, we'll plan on it. As you said, perhaps when we're old and gray.

A couple things that popped into my head about this as I read it. Lets face it, there are few of us who know one another well enough to defend them as fiercely as people defend each other on forums. (Or to attack them as fiercely, but that's a different point.) There are so many rumors flying around about this club that I can see why Marcie has people not believing her. On the other hand if you are close enough with her to have known that she heard of or thought of a new business venture with Lauscha glass, then sure, you never thought of it as a club. But if you are like the masses here, who heard of it first when she posted here, your mind had it originating as a club. I still don't see why much of that matters. I don't see why people are cancelling out on trips. I'm most surprised they don't know if they booked with CarolAnne or Marcie! Pretty much just amazed at that.

To me all that would matter is: am I getting what I want from the glass purchases? If not, why not? Can those issues be resolved? And then proceed with my response. I would accept more slack or greif from a club venture than a business ~ others would have their level of tollerance. Other than discussing pros and cons of the venture, the decision for me would be as simple as that.
Old 2007-08-13, 12:27pm

Quote:
I'm with Nancy!! I bet seeing Lauscha with CarolAnne would be a hoot !! Out of curiosity how much is it in U.S. dollars CarolAnne?

I really hate that these problems have affected you and Lauscha but it is good that it is coming out so that people can realize the difference and who YOU are..

Old 2007-08-13, 12:55pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinkster View Post
And about the Gathering... What a shame that the impression you both have is that it is a gossip fest. Any time you get a bunch of people together with a common interest who all know each other on-line, of course you will have gossip. However, the Gathering is so, so much more than the buzz. There are demos and lectures and classes. There is a vendor area where you can shop and talk to the actual people who build and distribute your tools and supplies. There are Open Torch nights where you can sit down and actually try out torches with the manufacturers (or their reps) right there to show you how to run them at their best. Yes, there is the "Bead Bazaar" - the venue made so that the people attending the Gathering could recoup some of their expenses. There are receptions, banquets, parties, bead trading, and all kinds of activities. There is just so much to it! It's sad that all you've heard about it was the gossip.
Sorry to not be clear. I didn't mean to imply that I thought the Gathering was a gossip-fest - not at all. My understanding of it is just as you described.

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio
GTT Phantom & 2-Integra 10's

Old 2007-08-13, 12:58pm
moth to the flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeadMaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaD View Post
If were a smart business woman I would know that anyone and everything has a price at which it may be ~or~ has been ~bought and sold.

Including some people posting in this thread!!! IMHO!!

Really? So what is your payoff for calling Marcie a liar here in public?

I disagree - not everyone has a price. There are SOME people who can't be bought for ANY price, its called character.

Nobody bought me, I'm not for sale at ANY price and if you were referring to me (veiled or not) I think your post was rude.

So much for Kendra's suggestion.

Old 2007-08-13, 1:00pm

Quote:
Liza and Renee, how would either of you know that this is not affecting Lauscha at all? If you don't think that this is affecting Lauscha, take look a couple of pages back in this very thread where one reader posted that she wanted to try Lauscha glass, but after all the trouble with the club, she is hesitant. That is but one person who voiced her opinion. How many others do you think there are out there with the same mistrust that just haven't posted to a forum about it? Well, there's no need to guess. Carol Anne just posted her experience and that says a lot right there.
She is a newbie and doesn't know the history/reputation of Lauscha Glass.

Another thing... I keep seeing this whole issue about whether this was a club or a business. My impression from talking to Marcie way back when was that it was a business venture. I referred to it as her Lauscha project. She was very excited about it (and I was excited for her) and talked about having booths at shows and how it was great that her boyfriend was German, etc. I was never under the impression that it was anything but a business. Afterall, what is wrong with having a business?
It was sold to me as a club. I'm only speaking for myself here. But in the original thread it was a club, with exclusive colors thus the higher prices, and the reason I was willing to pay them. Nothing wrong with having a business when it's run correctly.

I'm glad you posted the info on the gathering. This is the best description I have ever heard. Mostly what I've heard is about the gossip, outtings, etc. It really didn't paint a pretty picture like your description.

I should have put the word glass behind the word Lauscha when I posted previously that I didn't think COTM was affecting Lauscha (glass). I don't think it keeps people from buying Lauscha Glass, not people that have been in glass any length of time anyway. They just find a reputable dealer to buy from. I hate it has affected them in the tourist area. I hate that it has affected CarolAnne because she is a very sweet person and doesn't deserve to be treated the way she has been. Most of the things in this thread are things that should have come out. Surely ya'll don't think that all of the complaints and problems should have been squashed. Sure take it to private, that was done and none of the problems were solved. They may not have been solved by this either, but at least others know what they are getting in to before they "join" this business.

Ok so lets say that this was a business from the beginning. You start out with a business loan to buy your items THEN sell them. Personally I would NEVER pay 2 or more months ahead of time and not have my product in my hand. I would never loan a business my money for a month or more. As a business you don't sell something you don't have and really don't have a clue when you will have it. You are also competitive with other companies as far as pricing and customer service. You aren't a "Member" of a business (no one else can get the item). If you are a business and someone wants their money back you give it to them. You certainly don't make them take half in glass and then wait MONTHS for the rest of your money. There are just several things that businesses DON'T do that have been done.

Old 2007-08-13, 1:03pm
moth to the flame

Quote:
Irene, we'll plan on it. As you said, perhaps when we're old and gray.

A couple things that popped into my head about this as I read it. Lets face it, there are few of us who know one another well enough to defend them as fiercely as people defend each other on forums. (Or to attack them as fiercely, but that's a different point.) There are so many rumors flying around about this club that I can see why Marcie has people not believing her. On the other hand if you are close enough with her to have known that she heard of or thought of a new business venture with Lauscha glass, then sure, you never thought of it as a club. But if you are like the masses here, who heard of it first when she posted here, your mind had it originating as a club. I still don't see why much of that matters. I don't see why people are cancelling out on trips. I'm most surprised they don't know if they booked with CarolAnne or Marcie! Pretty much just amazed at that.

To me all that would matter is: am I getting what I want from the glass purchases? If not, why not? Can those issues be resolved? And then proceed with my response. I would accept more slack or greif from a club venture than a business ~ others would have their level of tollerance. Other than discussing pros and cons of the venture, the decision for me would be as simple as that.
I agree. I know it started out as an idea/club but somewhere in there it changed. Kendra should know she was very involved in that thread from what I saw, maybe she has forgotten.

I am still slowly reading through it and hope to have that question answered.
At what point did it become a business? I would think it was due to Marcie being able to profit from the sales of the glass. IE sold to her at cost and she gets the profit margin. I think a club would be a non profit thing.
Not sure though...more reading.

Old 2007-08-13, 1:17pm

Just curious but has anyone been invoiced for color #6 yet? Looks like it's been almost 2 months since the last shipment so I'm curious if the club or whatever is back on track?
Irene

Old 2007-08-13, 6:16pm
Word to your mother

Quote:
I agree. I know it started out as an idea/club but somewhere in there it changed. Kendra should know she was very involved in that thread from what I saw, maybe she has forgotten.

I am still slowly reading through it and hope to have that question answered.
At what point did it become a business? I would think it was due to Marcie being able to profit from the sales of the glass. IE sold to her at cost and she gets the profit margin. I think a club would be a non profit thing.
Not sure though...more reading.
When this "club" was originally presented, many people took the word at face value. Club...you know, a group of people with a common interest where plans for the clubs advancement are typically voted upon, where input from the members is taken and plans for the clubs development are discussed.

Because LE is a more a social/friendly forum than it is a business forum, I think that a lot of people saw the word "club" and thought more in terms of a member driven organization than a business. I think at one point people were referred to as "members", further ingraining the "organizational" mindset that had been assumed. These assumptions were wrong. But at the same time, there was a lot of information that was vague or not presented at all and that perpetuated wrong thinking.

The "club" did not evolve into a business...at least not after it was presented on LE. It always WAS a business. Some people just didn't know it.

Old 2007-08-13, 6:28pm
><>

People are still being referred to as members presently.
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." Thomas Mann
Old 2007-08-13, 7:29pm

Quote:
When this "club" was originally presented, many people took the word at face value. Club...you know, a group of people with a common interest where plans for the clubs advancement are typically voted upon, where input from the members is taken and plans for the clubs development are discussed. ............

The "club" did not evolve into a business...at least not after it was presented on LE. It always WAS a business. Some people just didn't know it.
I've always thought this was the case. But why then not just come on here and say, I'm starting a new business. I'm going to have you pay up front, at a premium, not be allowed to sell your glass if you don't like it, and what ever rules I choose to place (forgive me I can actually remember the rules at the moment). Do you want to sign up?

To me, coming on here, the some what social forum and using the words club and members was misleading.
Old 2007-08-13, 8:37pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
I've always thought this was the case. But why then not just come on here and say, I'm starting a new business. I'm going to have you pay up front, at a premium, not be allowed to sell your glass if you don't like it, and what ever rules I choose to place (forgive me I can actually remember the rules at the moment). Do you want to sign up?

To me, coming on here, the some what social forum and using the words club and members was misleading.
I agree.

That's why I spoke up and said that it was presented to me as a business long before it was ever introduced to LE. That is why I also said that any misconceptions should have been cleared up from the beginning.

There is nothing wrong with starting a new business. I just think that if it quacks like a duck and waddles like a duck, it should be introduced as a duck.
Old 2007-08-14, 1:53am
><>

Quote:
I agree.

That's why I spoke up and said that it was presented to me as a business long before it was ever introduced to LE. That is why I also said that any misconceptions should have been cleared up from the beginning.

There is nothing wrong with starting a new business. I just think that if it quacks like a duck and waddles like a duck, it should be introduced as a duck.
I've heard different things and I'd like to ask,
whose idea was Color of the Month?
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." Thomas Mann
Old 2007-08-14, 4:13am
kindasorta Spring almost

Number 1: The glass hutte has been in business a little over 150 years.

2. We did the silver colours because we thought they would be interesting to club members, not to compete with other silver colours. We were not that aware of what was going on with other silver colours when we developed ours.

3. Lauscha has as a town existed since 1597.

4. I told Marcie at the very beginning, when she started her "CLUB" that it would take Lauscha a minimum of 5 months to deliver the first glass because that is how long it took me to import the first 300 kilos of Lauscha clear into Canada.

still 4. I told her very seriously, and I told her it would be the same. She chose not to believe me.

My opinion was that it was a business from the beginning, only because I had my business plan to refer to, and I could calculate the dollars involved, based on a conservative estimate of 150 customers. I had planned to charge standard prices in line with the vendors and cooperate fully with established vendors.

The "club" was originally my idea, but the "custom colour club and it wasn't a club, it was meant to be a business - I was selling my house in Canada to pre-purchase 12 new glass colours, land them in Canada and the US and then to offer them to the public hopefully through established dealers (I had only talked to one dealer when Marcie announced her club) but I don't care about that at all anymore. I love my life in Lauscha, and I would have hated potentially packing glass in Ohio and shipping it to people. It would have been a boring administrative job.

Please note my LE join date - the COTM news was sent to me by the people who knew about my idea, and that is why I joined LE. When it was clear that I would not be able to make a living with custom colours, I launched Lauscha Glass Vacations in partnership with the hutte.

But it does not matter anymore.

My life here is wonderful, I get to use Lauscha glass as much as I like, and I have the most wonderful friends and colleagues here.

Actually, I am thankful that everything has happened as it has. It has resulted in the most joy coming into my life that I could ever imagine.

This town is wonderful, amazingly warm, and I get to live here. It's a miracle in my opinion. A heavenly miracle. I am totally thankful that I DO NOT have a color of the month club to worry about. I am totally thankful for the people I have met here on LE too - without COTM, I never would have joined LE, and I never would have been invited to be artist in residence at the Farbglashuette. I would have missed the most wonderful 15 months of my life to date.

I am totally grateful that I live here. And I hope you all will visit, in a tour or not - it doesn't really matter. Just come here and see Lauscha for yourselves.

And all I posted in this thread, is that people have backed out for my October tour, citing controversy surrounding the club, and glass not arriving on time, and people not receiving their refunds. Remember, lots of people read forums, and when something is taken in isolation, it can have a big trickle down effect. That is the only reason I have had. At the beginning, I did have people calling me to complain and I had to make it very clear that I have nothing to do with Marcie or her business.

I personally feel that Marcie did publically blame Lauscha a lot for things that in my opinion were within her control. And that is when I stopped testing glass for her and stopped contributing to development of new colors for her club. And Marcie is aware of how I feel about that matter.

However, Marcie may not be aware of how thankful I am that I get to live in Lauscha. I honestly am truly grateful and thankful that I live here, and if it were not for Marcie starting the COTM, I would not be living here and having the most wonderful time imaginable.

So, there are positives and negatives to every single person's experience. What seems like the most horrible event at first, can turn into the most beautiful experience in the end. What seems like the end of the world, can be the beginning of something unimaginably wonderful.

Heck, I got to learn an entire new LANGUAGE! TWO! I understand the local dialekt here too, and most Germans say they don't understand it! I didn't know German at all before I came here, except for a couple of standard sentences.

I have met and become friends with the most amazing glass artists and artisans, and participated fully in the daily (and nightly! life of a beautiful village with a loving family atmosphere.

It would appear that I have also met the greatest love of my life to date and he has lovely parents, and he fits in completely to my circle of friends.

If I hadn't lived through the uncertainty and chaos in my life, caused by the upheaval of COTM, I never would have had the courage to break up with my ex-fiance back in February, and never would have met the new guy.

So, COTM has worked out to be a great thing for me personally. It has caused me to question every aspect of my life and to challenge myself to move to a new country, start a new life, face my fears, overcome anxiety, make new friends, forge new partnerships, learn new languages, and given me endless amounts of joy, and happiness, and satisfaction in my life. It has also taught me to consider people more carefully, to not trust every single person I meet. But that's only healthy.

And it has given me so many wonderful friends on LE. And I never would have joined if it hadn't been for COTM.

Love,
Carol Anne

Last edited by carolanne; 2007-08-14 at 6:03am. Reason: had to go to the bathroom, and came back later to finish writing...
Old 2007-08-14, 8:15am
PyronamixK

What an encouraging post, Carol Anne! I just love people who can take negative situations in life and turn them into something positive! I hope that your life in Lauscha continues to be so very, very happy!

Joyce, in answer to your question, I did not know who came up with the idea of a club. I just remember talking to Marcie about her new business venture.

Something I should make clear, so that I don't mislead anyone. I do not want to give anyone the impression that I am the definitive authority on Marcie. I'm not. I was just relating an experience with her that has something to do with this topic.

Marcie and I know each other because we have both attended some of the same glass shows. At the time, she was the sales rep/Manager of Sales for one of my husband's company's competitors. Our relationship has always been friendly and we have had nice visits when we have seen each other at the shows. Outside of a couple of PMs exchanged on glass forums, that's it. It was at a show where Marcie told me about her exciting new business.

I know that there are unsatisfied club members and former members. I have watched this all develop and have seen what went down. I just hope that everything gets worked out for everyone. Maybe in the end, something positive can come from all of this.
Old 2007-08-14, 8:19am

Carol Anne,
You are vary gracious about the past. I know letting go is always healthy. I'm glad things are moving forward for you. I hope they continue to do so.
Old 2007-08-14, 9:47am

CarolAnn is such a sweetie! I too am so glad you have been able to take a BIG negative and make a GREAT positive out of it. I am just sorry that this happened to you. I will continue to buy Lauscha Glass it just won't be through the "business" hidden in a club.

Now maybe some of you will understand why I was/am so angry. I was so angry to know that CarolAnne even sold her house to do this and she was disapointed someone she trusted. Hopefully this person will now come forward and admit they made a mistake.

Renee it was never anything personal. I was just so angry about this situation then other things started adding up and I promised not to say anything about this. Believe me I was biting my tongue.

Anyway CarolAnne I hope that now this thread will move back, and your tour will pick up. I know you love lauscha and the people and your new guy! I'm so glad you are happy there.

Last edited by Lizabeads; 2007-08-14 at 4:29pm.
Old 2007-08-14, 9:58am

CarolAnne,
If you ever decide to do any other kind of business with Lauscha glass....You let me know. I'd be a dealer that would carry your ideas! You have many and it would be nice to see you have success with them
Irene

Old 2007-08-14, 10:01am

Ooppsss.
Carolanne...can you post the link to your tour page if you have one? Or tell us the info?
Thanks
Irene