Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-02-26, 5:48am

Default dipping a mandrel in the middle

I've heard many people say that they dip their mandrels so the bead release is on the middle of the mandrel. They say that it gives them better control for their weaker side as far as stringers, dots, etc. What is the best method for dipping your mandrel and getting the release in the middle?
Thanks
Old 2013-02-26, 7:24am

I've done it by filling up a big spoon with bead release and running the center of the mandrel across it so that it touches the release. The spoon has to be really full so that it's raised up a bit above the edge and held by surface tension. It can get messy if you aren't careful. I'm sure that there are other ways to do it as well.

Robert
Old 2013-02-26, 9:06am

Use a small baster (they make them 1/2 the size of a turkey baster. Fill it with release, hold your mandrel over bead release jar and twist the mandrel as you squirt on the release.
Old 2013-02-26, 9:10am

There's a great thread here where several people have shared their methods for coating mandrels in the middle. I use an open ended frit tray and it works great. I roll the mandrel in the bead release, then tap the mandrel on the counter a time or two to even out the release.
Old 2013-02-26, 9:14am
PyronamixK

Take an empty jar lid, fill with release so that it rounds up from the surface tension, and roll the center of the mandrel over that. This is like Robert's spoon technique, but with the lid, it can rest on a table while you coat your mandrels.
Old 2013-02-27, 6:22am
Can't you see I'm busy???

Haven't seen this posted yet...

Take a small round plastic container, like the one that Philadelphia cream cheese comes in, and cut a V shaped slot on each side. Fill the container a bit over the bottom of the slots with bead release. Then lay the mandrel in the slots and roll it around once, lift it out, and roll a couple more times in the air to get a smooth coating.

Bead release that is a bit thick works better for me. Clean up any release that leaks out with a plastic spatula, and pour the extra back into the bottle.
Old 2013-02-27, 7:05am

My method involves turning any plastic glass upside down. Most have a cupped out bottom and the size is about right for most beads. Just overfill slightly (surface tension referred to above) roll your mandrel, tap the mandrel end on a table to help even out and voila!
Old 2013-03-02, 12:31pm
Ad astra per aspera

I store my bead release in a sealable Tupperware spaghetti container (long cylinder shape). I also use a short glass jar filled with water. I dip the mandrel in the spaghetti container so it's 2/3 coated, then dip in the water jar to rinse off the bottom third. Just a quick swirl and it's clean. I have a piece of 2x4 that DH drilled holes into so I can stand the mandrels up to dry. It's just one, extra quick step from regular dipping.

Once the bead release in the water jar gets deep enough, I let it all settle to the bottom (just leave it overnight), pour off most of the water, and pour the rest of the release back into the spaghetti container to reuse it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-03-02, 2:49pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDreamer View Post
I store my bead release in a sealable Tupperware spaghetti container (long cylinder shape). I also use a short glass jar filled with water. I dip the mandrel in the spaghetti container so it's 2/3 coated, then dip in the water jar to rinse off the bottom third. Just a quick swirl and it's clean. I have a piece of 2x4 that DH drilled holes into so I can stand the mandrels up to dry. It's just one, extra quick step from regular dipping.

Once the bead release in the water jar gets deep enough, I let it all settle to the bottom (just leave it overnight), pour off most of the water, and pour the rest of the release back into the spaghetti container to reuse it.
This is the best method, IMHO. A nice even coat with no lumps and ridges.
Old 2013-03-02, 10:09pm

Talking

It's been a long time since I have been here and done lampworking which I soon will be getting back into . I do use the middle of the rod dipping I found a balsomic vinager bottle from walmart just the right height to use to dip my mandrels in. When dipping the mandrel is dipped more than half from one end. After dipping in bead release I dip them the mandrel into a glass of water and swirl the extra bead release off. I save the water from the swirling in another jar peanut butter jar with lid, the next day the bead release has settled to the bottom and I pour off the water into the glass and use the super thin bead release to add to the dipping bottle along with thicker bead release from the main bottle to release as needed. I put my dipped mandrels into a can of sand to dry keeps them apart from each other. When I do add more release to the vinager bottle I put the lid on and shake till it looks right or dipps right. I nomally get about 10 mandrels dipped before needing to add more release to the bottle.
Hope this helps you
Pam
Old 2013-03-09, 7:35am
The Andrea Half

I save plastic lids in varying sizes. The first time, I get a mandrel very hot, and then press it evenly down onto the lid, about 1/4", and remove it. That melts a mandrel-sized groove in the lid, but it also produces a fringe of plastic that helps keep the release from spilling.

Then I fill the lid to just above the level of the groove, slot mandrels into the groove one by one, roll them in release, put in my holder. Easy peasy. then I pour the remaining release back into the jar.

There will still be release clinging to the lid. I let that dry, then whack my lid onto a piece of paper I have put on the counter, and then use the paper to funnel the now dry release back into the bottle. A few drops of water, a brisk shaking, and all is good to go with minimal waste.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.