Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2014-09-25, 10:14am

Default Blow Hose Confusion

Im Trying to figure out what to plug my tube with so i can put my blow hose into it and make it air tight? any suggestions? i was thinking rubber stopper or neoprene but i dont know what sizes or where to buy from besides online. any help would be great!
Old 2014-09-25, 11:54am
hyperT

Any of those or just a cork will work if the tube is long enough not to heat the cork up to much. You can also just seal off the end of the tube. Aluminum foil wrapped over it and held in place by a rubber band.
I'm not sure of exactly what you are trying to do? Sounds like you want to blow a bubble in the center of the tube?

Last edited by hyperT; 2014-09-25 at 11:56am.
Old 2014-09-26, 9:35pm
honorary bead lady

Local hardware store, there are usually bins of misc items/parts back by the nuts and bolts
Old 2014-09-27, 11:36am

Get yourself a swivel and some of the neoprene stoppers here-
http://www.mountainglass.com/Product...IVEL-ASSEMBLY/
There are plenty of other options though but that's super easy. One end of the swivel goes into your hose, the other end goes in the stopper. Boom done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-09-27, 3:52pm
Borovangelist

I found the cored bung stoppers I use for my wine bottle stoppers fit 12mm tubing pretty well. So if you're not using points, that's an option.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
Old 2014-09-29, 8:30am

thanks alot everyone, and im not trying to do anything special just trying to connect my blow hose! lol when they gave me the hose and swivel they didnt give me anything to put that into to seal it.
Old 2014-09-29, 10:09am
hyperT

Amber Gum Tubing.
Old 2014-09-29, 10:37am
hyperT

I would use this assembly more on a glass lathe than by hand.
Most of the time by hand I just pull some points and go from there.
The flex tubing is amber gum as I stated above.
The Erlenmeyer flask isn't really required but makes a good spit trap so the hose doesn't get clogged up.
It can be empty as well or you can put some sand and cotton in it.
A set of cork borers comes in handy for boring holes in corks.

Hope this helps you.

Wayne
Old 2014-10-17, 9:51am

We sell a adapter for 12mm and 15 mm tubing that fits on the glass for the blow hose assembly at Trev's Glass
Attached Images

Old 2014-10-17, 2:14pm
Borovangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunray View Post
We sell a adapter for 12mm and 15 mm tubing that fits on the glass for the blow hose assembly at Trev's Glass
where are they on the site?

|
|
Old 2014-10-27, 9:30am

Its now under misc on our trevsglass.com website
Thanks for asking

Old 2014-12-06, 1:47am
@miniuniworld

Is there a significant diff between the economy brass swivel and the high quality that is double the price? Thanks

Learn how to help empower women to stand on their own two feet!
Old 2014-12-06, 11:34am

Quote:
Originally Posted by @miniuniworld View Post
Is there a significant diff between the economy brass swivel and the high quality that is double the price? Thanks
YES !!

this is one of those time if you get the cheap one you will not be happy. The economy brass swivel will very quickly wear out and stick and not swivel smoothly. there is another glass blower that started making them out of stainless steel and made it so both end swivel so they swivel smooth. And being stainless steel they don't wear out, many long time glass blowers said that firekist glass swivels are the best longest lasting swivels out there. I know i love mine.
here is his etsy shop.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/FirekistGlass

and if you don't like etsy blastsheild has started selling them too.

http://theblastshield.com/index.html

Good luck.

Living the dream rocking a GTT Mirage and or 40mm Herbert Arnold J Howard Style with a home fill system in south central Wisconsin
Old 2014-12-06, 1:59pm
Borovangelist

I can second the Firekist swivels, I love mine. I hated the heavy right angled one I got from ABR and never used it.

|
|
Old 2014-12-06, 4:43pm
@miniuniworld

Thanks for the tip! is there a way to use the hose without having to fork out the $50 to start? I want to make sure it is a technique that i'll actually use

Thanks

Learn how to help empower women to stand on their own two feet!
Old 2014-12-10, 5:48pm
Borovangelist

Not unless you use a cheaper one. Problem is that if you can't spin it, you can't really work it. I guess you could do back and forth 180 rotations, but it's not quite the same.

|
|
Old 2014-12-17, 8:34pm
He can do the origami

If you have money to waste, you can by a cheap swivel to try it out but I would strongly suggest you don't buy the cheap one. I LOVED the first one I bought, it was affordable .... and CHEAP..... in fact so cheap that after a very short time I found it sticking and NOT swiveling. It was an extremely frustrating issue.

I would have my tubing nice and hot and go to puff a little air in it to keep it shaped or try to blow it out larger and nothing!!! The hose would be twisted and kinked and no air would pass through. I would have to move out of the flame, keep rotating my piece wich tangled and kinked my blow hose more, one I got it cooled enough so it would not sag or deform then go about untangling/unkinking the blow hose. Start heati g again but instead of paying attention to my heat and glass, I would be watching the hose and trying to work to my swivel instead of do what I needed to get done.

Just my opinion but if you need save a few dollars, your blow hose assembly isn't the place to do it.

Otter

Tags
blow hose, conneection, problem, rubber, stopper