Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Beads of Courage > Beads of Courage

Beads of Courage -- Discussion for all things Beads of Courage; the only not-for-profit, arts-in-medicine program putting to use the talents of glass beadmakers to uplift children dealing with life threatening illnesses, their families and the people who care for them. Families, clinicians and artists alike are welcome to join in! (Thank you to Lampwork Etc. for supporting Beads of Courage and helping to foster communication!) PHOTOS OF INDIVIDUALS OR CHILDREN ONLY ALLOWED WITH THEIR SPECIFIC CONSENT.

Old 2010-11-29, 3:38pm
Obsessed Blogger

Default Send those beads in, please!

If you've been holding onto a stash of beads and have been meaning to send them to Beads of Courage, now would be a good time. Beads of Courage is starting to run a little low on Act of Courage beads and we need yours!

The address for bead donation is:

Beads of Courage, Inc.
5301 S Houghton Road
Tucson AZ 85747

Thank you thank you thank you!

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
::
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-11-29, 6:45pm
Loving learning

This is one of the reason's I can't wait to get a torch, to make more, but I will soon be sending out a few that I've made (very newbie), plus some I've gathered from a few friends (their early efforts too). I hope you can use them.
Old 2010-11-29, 7:39pm
Wendy

I've got a box all addressed sitting in the truck to go to work with me tomorrow. It's only 15 beads but they're all little critter beads. If they won't work for the kids I'm hoping they'll at least brighten the day of a caregiver or parent. Thanks again for all you do at BoC.

Quote:
... Although that's probably part of what makes an artist a true artist.. you create things that you like and then wonder if anyone else could possibly like them without having seen the rest of the story that's still in your head. ~Me
Old 2010-11-29, 10:26pm
Redbearmountain

Hello, I have a whole little pouch of beads that I plan on sending to Beads Of Courage! Better get those mailed out this week.
Old 2010-11-30, 11:03am

I have a load ready to go out from the Frit Bead Challenge! It will be going out this week!!!!

Leslie
Frit Happens...
Old 2010-11-30, 12:09pm
Growing Edge Glass

Just pulled a bunch of my super sparkly dichroic encased beads to send in...been meaning to send some in on a regular basis.

This will be my first batch to send in.

-glass cabochons, clay pendants~~~
-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2010-11-30, 6:33pm

We're low on Act of Courage beads at the moment and new programs are coming on line. We've had requests for a whopping big number of these beads recently and filling it is going to be a challenge. I'm all in myself and making what I can. Any beads you can spare will REALLY be appreciated.

Robert
Old 2010-12-01, 7:59am
Obsessed Blogger

Thank you everyone!

FIVE new sites are going live this month alone!! Our goal for this year was 10 and we are FAR exceeding that. All of your help in the Pepsi challenge gave us the opportunity to start 10 we hadn't planned on as well.

So exciting! And you all help make it possible.

Old 2010-12-04, 11:28pm

I just sent in my first beads today! I am just a newbie so don't laugh too much when you get them. They are batch annealed and I believe they are all clean-hopefully I didn't miss any. Use what is appropriate and uh...bury the rest! As I improve I'll send you better ones

Old 2010-12-05, 8:37am
Mermaid in Training

Lori I sent in a package (same time I sent you the aliens that got misplaced) awhile ago with my self addressed stamped envelope for my donation receipt and I haven't received anything back.... Are they backlogged? Also did you receive the second package of Aliens?

Cheers,
Diana

Dizzy Bead on Etsy
Old 2010-12-05, 8:40am
Growing Edge Glass

My package already went out and has been delivered...I believe!

This was my first shipment and more will follow....I'm happy to be part of such a wonderful program.

-glass cabochons, clay pendants~~~
-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2010-12-05, 9:58am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Hi Lori and Robert!
I've received another shipment of wonderful frit from Leslie and will work on more this week.

I'm so excited about how big this has become! Rock on BOC!

Old 2010-12-05, 3:12pm

I have approx 700 beads going out tomorrow. Hope it helps!!!

Old 2010-12-12, 6:47am
Never give up

I just sent off my beads. The post office said they should receive them Monday. Yeah! When I went to the post office I didn't know how it would really make me feel. I feel like my beads are a part of me somehow. Something that is all my own.It made me feel so happy and excited to know the kids would be a little part of me with every bead. If you haven't sent any beads yet please do, giving is way better the receiving. God bless all the kids and all those that give to this great cause. It brings tears to my eyes.
Old 2010-12-12, 8:23am
Eight Miles Wide

I have 186 going out tomorrow.

Old 2010-12-12, 8:55am
novembersfyre everywhere

I make most of my beads on 1/16 mandrels. Is that too small of a hole size? If not I think I have quite a few beads to send. If it is I'll need to make some on bigger mandrels.

Old 2010-12-12, 12:18pm
I'm meeeeelting

I'll gather up my strays and get them out this week.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2010-12-22, 12:47pm
put a bird on it

370 Beads from Bead Babes (Northern Colorado) are on the way to you

Thanks for all you guys do!
Old 2010-12-23, 10:46am
Obsessed Blogger

Yay! Thank you everyone!!!

Old 2010-12-23, 4:59pm
tweetysweetie

Kimberly, I'd be interested in knowing this information too, I think the lady in the video says what a couple of them are..but I'd like a list also.

Old 2010-12-23, 7:18pm

The Program Beads that are designated for specific events or procedures are commercially produced, due mostly to the stunning numbers required. what we need most from our bead making supporters ar the Act of Courage beads. These are the beads that you make when you let your imagination go free and make what you want to. Somewhere out there is a child who will see his or her day in your bead and will chose it to mark an important occasion in their journey to recovery. It's seriously cool to see one of your own beads on a strand - your imagination has connected with a child's. These are very important beads and we need lots of them.

Robert
Old 2010-12-23, 10:59pm
Uh Oh....

Can I send some glass beads that I didn't make? I have a lot of cheap glass beads, like the kind of Oriental Trading that I'm not going to use. They have big holes in them so they will fit on a cord. If so, I'd like to send them in with some I've made. I have a bag to go and I can fill up my box with the other beads if they can be used.

Old 2010-12-24, 8:11am

Yes, go ahead and send them along, we can use them. Thanks very much.

Robert
Old 2010-12-24, 8:29am
Shelarious

Robert, I made some birds, hoping for some feedback if they would be appropriate (durability) or not. Can you help me out?

Old 2010-12-28, 6:58am

Sorry for the slow turn around on your question. Your birds look durable enough to me and quite attractive as well. One suggestion is that closed beaks are a bit more robust than open ones. I predict that they'll be swept up quickly.
Thanks much,
Robert
Old 2010-12-28, 8:53am
Shelarious

Okay, thank you Robert for your feedback! I'll keep working to get a nice group together.

Old 2010-12-28, 9:14am
Peerless Thread Killer

Thanks for the reminder. I have a bag of beads sitting there waiting for me to send. I'll get these out post-haste.

Old 2010-12-30, 3:44pm
Obsessed Blogger

Hi All.

As a rule, we don't publish the bead guide on the internet. Unfortunately, there are those out there who would/do try to implement the Beads of Courage program(s) based on that chart without the research and precise intention behind what everything means. Some even doing it for profit.

Old 2010-12-31, 11:30am
I'm the 1000th poster!!

My goal tonight is to make some BOC beads. I haven't torched in a week. Tonight I WILL!

I also have a design in mind for the Butterflies. I think I try to make butterflies more than any other bead because I know how much they mean and I know how hard they are for people to make because of the emotion.

Old 2010-12-31, 2:12pm
Angel's Mom

Me too, Debbie! I'm using some of the Glow frit that Glow Joe sent just for BOC beads.

This is such a wonderful program, and I'm so glad to help!

My wish is for a Happy New Year for these courageous kids!
Kris