Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2012-01-06, 12:19am

Default do it my self torch upgrade

Well I have been wanting to upgrade my torch set up now that I am doing more blown tubing work, and as much as I would love a nice big GTT two stage that just is not in the cards.
Here is my not so expensive solution.
I built myself a solenoid foot pedal, then bought an inexpensive nortel major head off of ebay installed and oxy and fuel flow valves then mounted it below my Cheetah.
after checking for leaks, I tested the whole rig and wow I am very happy with the results.

now I just need to solve my to small kiln issue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#C-151
Old 2012-01-06, 1:04am

look great, know you will enjoy.

been thinking about the foot pedal thing where did you get the solenoid from and which ones.
Old 2012-01-06, 1:55am

I bought them directly from STC (sizto tech corperation)
part number 2w025- 1/4-3-D-V they are $34.13 each
the foot control is from SSC controls
S420-1001 Light-Duty Foot Switch ($ 23.90 ea.)
make sure you do not buy a momentary foot switch unless you want to keep your foot on the pedal

#C-151

Last edited by Baywinger; 2012-01-06 at 9:46am.
Old 2012-01-06, 5:39am
Run Free Sweet Boy

you may want to consider a crossfire type set up. I have done this with oxy torches when I was doing lab glass, and also have a set of gas air torches that are crossfires from my neon days. Both work wonderfully, concentrate the heat, and give great results. With my gas air torches I have also placed a center fire underneath at times to speed production.. works like a charm...

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2012-01-06, 9:25am

That is a great looking set up and that foot petal is going to save you so much money. I would like to have a foot petal but the 400.00 dollar price tag is out of the question. Could I share your info with my husband he is pretty handy with things like this as he was in the welding a propane business for years and maybe he would be able to make one.

Old 2012-01-06, 9:39am

Hi Deb Sure this one cost me just over $100
you will want the foot control from SSC controls
S420-1001 Light-Duty Foot Switch ($ 23.90 ea.)
make sure you do not buy a momentary foot switch unless you want to keep your foot on the pedal

#C-151
Old 2012-01-06, 9:45am

there are a couple of videos on you tube about building foot controls for torches.
though for whatever reason they used stainless bodied valves which are way more expensive and not necessary, Griffin uses brass valves.

#C-151
Old 2012-01-06, 10:12am

Thanks I will get on it. I mean I will get him on it. lol

Old 2012-01-06, 11:29am

Crafty! I like it
Old 2012-01-06, 3:39pm
Save the Numbats

Looks good! I know a few people who have done this with Lynxes. With a Cheetah, and a Major, you have some serious firepower.

I agree that cross firing it would be an improvement.. if you can point the Cheetah down a bit actually that would be a pretty intense and wide flame for blowing. Foot pedal is sweet, too.
Old 2012-01-06, 3:52pm

yes both torches can pivot as needed. I will give the crossfire a try thanks.

#C-151
Old 2012-01-07, 2:11pm
www.createdfromfire.com

Think I'm going to do this for my 4 stud GTT sidewinder. I'm so happy now, you just saved me like $300.00. I love this site.

.com

GTT Sidewinder, two M15 oxycon's (center fire), tanked (outer fire), Glasshive kiln.
Old 2012-01-07, 3:09pm

To answer Bob's question he PM'd me in case others want to know
when you place the online order for the solenoids the website gives you a cheaper price, as it does not adjust for the viton seals. the office corrects this before they charge you and ship.

#C-151
Old 2012-01-07, 3:14pm

Well I have been using the set up now and the foot switch works flawlessly.
Thanks Deb and Juln readjusting the flame to a cross fire pattern works really well.
Just loving the whole set up though, it is tempting to set up the cheetah on a foot switch as well for ease and gas conservation when switching between the flames, if I do not need the extra heat of the crossfire or if I am using the major for a a while
All in all I am very happy with the new set up!

#C-151
Old 2012-01-27, 8:36am
A lesser known character

Nice stuff. I'm running a similar setup myself just with a red max and a lynx. Do you notice when you kick on your bottom flame that sometimes if your running a small top flame, the pressure drop makes the upper flame too low? If you have another fuel regulator sitting around, pull the fitting that goes to the tank, and replace it with a 1/4 NPT to "B" fuel fitting, then you can use it as an inline regulator to your top torch. Then set your pressure coming off the tank at whatever you want for your major, and at the inline for your upper torch set that for what you like, and when you kick on your large flame, you won't experience the any fluctuation on your top flame.

It seemed to be more of a problem after I added a compressed air feed to the Red Maxs fuel port and had to put some more check valves in place so there wouldn't be any backflow issues, so it might not be a problem for you, but if it is, that's a pretty easy fix.