Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2010-05-01, 3:26pm

Default Torching at craft fairs?

Anyone out there doing live flameworking demos at craft fairs, shows, etc? If you are, please share what you've done and lessons you've learned. What equipment do you bring? How do you handle annealing the beads?

It seems to me that it would be really difficult to do, but someone who runs a studio suggested I get a plexiglass surround and working behind that. That would block wind, but wouldn't it also create an enclosed area to breathe in fumes?

I'm intrigued but I don't want to open a can of worms.

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Buffalo, NY
Old 2010-05-01, 4:38pm
Cancer Sucks!!!

I would suggest checking on things like liability insurance and also check with the local fire marshall. You may change your mind. Some places require at least a million dollar insurance policy which can be very pricey even for a one time thing. Plus, there may be restrictions regarding open flames. I frankly don't know the difference between my torch and a candle, except if my torch is lit I am right there in front of it. My torch is never unattended if lit.

I'm bilingual, I speak Sarcasm as a second language!

New beads in my shoppe!! Finally!
Old 2010-05-01, 5:04pm

I do all the time. I do this at the couple of art shows that are outside. I do have my table with a HH and plexiglass front and sides. It provides most protection from the wind and there is less of a chance of someone getting hit by flying hot glass. I have all sorts of "Caution" signs so people don't get to close but close enough to see what I'm doing. This demo'ing boosted my sales by double and sometimes triple vs. without it so I always plan on bringing my demo table even though sometimes it's a PITA.

Old 2010-05-01, 7:36pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Any demo beads could be batch annealed "later" and any finished beads you choose to give a way, could be wonkies or one of a kind or parts of a set that didn't "work".... People are not going to care that "finished " bead you show or hand or give to then is not directly out of the flame and just off the mandrel....

Yes some sort of Plexiglas or Lexan safety screen should be between "guests" and torch.... IF you are outside there will probably be enough air flow around you by convection as to not jeopardize you health for the short time you are at torch.... Just be sure to take a break for about 15 minutes or so ever hour....

Check with craft/fair people to see if their "blanket insurance" will actually include your demos...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2010-05-02, 8:27am

Roberta, do you have any pictures of your set up? I'd love to see what you do. Thanks so much!

- Buffalo, NY
Old 2010-05-02, 9:58am

I do this all the time. I have my betta and my propane and oxygen bottle are chained up against one of my poles.
Nothing like fire to bring in people! Seriously!!!

Old 2010-05-02, 12:56pm

I don't have any pictures but plan on having my DH take photos this season. I got an inexpensive table from Menards (actually for woodworking), put a metal plate on top, mounted my HH, put up 1-1/2 foot plexiglass sides that are hinged, stuck a "CAUTION - HOT STUFF" sign on the front. My DH built a hinged arm to the side so I have extra area for tools, fiber blanket, etc. It's bulky to load and unload in the van but well worth it. Believe me when I turn on the HH everyone wants to know where the sound is coming from. There have been times when I have 15-20 people in front of my booth watching. It's really a blast because I talk as I work explaining what I'm doing. People are fasinated. I do one or two beads at a time and then take a break for 20-30 mintues unless someone stops by and asks if I can show them how it's done. This is the best part of doing art shows for me. I also educate people about glass, annealing and why it's so cheap to buy imports. This area alone has opened many eyes regarding lampworking.

Old 2010-05-02, 1:19pm

I think I've got the idea of what you're doing.

I've never worked with a hothead. Do you use a small portable tank or lug around a "bar-b-que" type?

I don't have a van, only a Honda Accord. Wondering how to transport a table. My folks used to have an aluminum fold up table. I wonder if that kind of thing would be study enough. I like the idea of hinged plexi sides. Have to think through how to install them.

Anyone else have any ideas or can describe your set up?

- Buffalo, NY
Old 2010-05-02, 1:54pm

I need to start doing this, it's just the liability policy that's killing me for it.
Old 2010-05-02, 1:58pm

Please tell me more about the liability policy.

- Buffalo, NY
Old 2010-05-02, 2:32pm

I went to Walmart and bought a fold up 4x4 table. It's plastic but if you go to Lowe's you can get an aluminum sheet to put right on top. I use a Betta and I just screw it into the table. The propane tank is the one for bbq's. I have that on the left of me (since I'm left handed) and the oxygen tank sits next to it against one of the poles of the tent. Then just strap them in.
I've never had to buy any kind of insurance. I mean when you think about it, all the "Food" vendors have propane tanks. I also bring my fire extinguisher as well.
For a few shows I had my oxycon with me and was hooked up to their electricity which I had to pay extra and there's only an area in the back with hook ups and I just hated being way in the back so I started bringing the oxygen tanks a few shows ago.

I have pictures and will try and post if I can find where they are on this computer
And yes, people will stop by your booth to see what you're doing.
I was lucky at the fall show 2 years ago and I actually had a news crew come in and film me torching. THey took pictures to put in the new "festival book" and I was called a few weeks later to be featured on our local news channel. It was all pretty surreal but very cool!

Old 2010-05-02, 2:54pm

Crappy picture and sorry it doesn't show my work area very will but it's in the top left of the picture....You can see the small table that has the cash register on it. My torch is on the same table. In the corner you can kind of see the oxygen tank.
Sorry I don't have a better one. We have to take pics of the merchandise rather then equipment and as you can see, I'm pretty cramped in there. If I had more stuff, I'd for sure double my space!

Old 2010-05-02, 3:29pm
BeadsonCypress

I learned:
1) NEVER allow children to sneak up close (especially in the direction your glass it pointing!)
2) Make a large HOT WORK sign! People are oblivious!
3) Get at least a plexiglass sheet in front of you!
4) I only torch at outdoor events!
5) Make small things like pressed leaves
a) the colors pop quickly (kids think it's magic!)
b) most don't have much of an attention span
6) I have used a bucket of vermiculite or blanket to "hold" them until I get them to a kiln
7) I give kids a basket to pick out a wonky or orphaned bead.

Most important Have HELP there to watch your sales table!!!!

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2010-05-02, 3:49pm

I try to torch at all my outdoor shows. Sometimes my husband (not a beadmaker) will make a bead or 2 and I can talk to the customers. It is so hard to hear with the hot head running. I never sell the beads I make at shows as I put them into a blanket and don't anneal them. I usually just give them to kids.

I have a couple of teenagers who work for me and sometimes they will demo for me. That is the best for me!! Customers can ask me questions and I can explain the process. I have a bookmark that explains lampwork. I set it out on my table and people are welcome to take them. It also has a picture of me torching and a few of my beads on it. Great way to get the word out!

Torching always draws a crowd. If there is a crowd there everyone thinks it is something awesome and sales definately increase!!

The insurance I have for my business covers everything. I made sure to tell them about torching at shows!

Old 2010-05-02, 4:30pm

I torch at my outside shows I use a small table and I put a large cookie sheet under my hot head it works great the glass wont roll off and packs easy. I also have a large piece of plexi glass in front. I use a hothead and map gas. The kids love to watch and the men. Gives the women time to shop and keeps the husbands busy. It also shows the people the you do make the beads. Sometimes they just don't believe it. For the inside shows I set up a small flat screen tv with a dvd player and made a film of me making beads. I get alot of positive feed back when I do that. If I cant do any of that I have a poster I had made of me making glass beads.
Old 2010-05-02, 6:35pm
Fancies

I gave up on the demos and just filmed a DVD of me torching, which I play because I usually do shows alone and you can't torch and tend the sales table. But when I did demos they were outdoor only with a HH and a lexan three-sided shield. A great heatproof surface for the table is an oil change tray available from your auto supply store. And yes, you do need the liability policy. The bookmark is really a great idea!

Old 2010-05-03, 6:07am

http://secure.smilebox.com/ecom/open...a673d0d0a&sb=1
I am in the slide show on # 27 and 28 You can click on the photo to enlarge it...to close the screen hit esc.
Big Brothers Big Sisters is a great organization. I was a vendor this time around was really surprised to be in the photos! Always supported them in the past and given several pieces of jewelry guess that is karma
Photos show torch table and fixed plexi glass panels. We did it to keep things stable in large gusts of wind. It is also weighted at the bottom
_________Torch table

Last edited by beadgirl; 2010-05-03 at 7:34am.
Old 2010-05-03, 6:48am
Glass-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeadsGoneWild View Post
I do all the time. I do this at the couple of art shows that are outside. I do have my table with a HH and plexiglass front and sides. It provides most protection from the wind and there is less of a chance of someone getting hit by flying hot glass. I have all sorts of "Caution" signs so people don't get to close but close enough to see what I'm doing. This demo'ing boosted my sales by double and sometimes triple vs. without it so I always plan on bringing my demo table even though sometimes it's a PITA.
same here! It works!!!! Fire draws a crowd every time!! AND it shuts up those ones who say.. "no u dont make the beads.. no one does that.. you bought them.. you make the jewelry " YOU KNOW who I am talking about!!!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2010-05-03, 8:19am
ManBearPig

I demonstrate at one of the shows we do every year. Sales always increase dramatically when the torch turns on. We have electricity there, so I take my kiln with me.

Here's a video of my demo last year...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsjErD8bwCw

Old 2010-05-03, 11:33am
Formerly Kellyhorton

For my demos, alot of shows anymore dont have electric, so decided to use a hothead and map guess, will be ok for shows with no electric!

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK

In the '60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Old 2010-05-04, 4:49am
old fart

the problem with torching at art fairs is liability. your normal business liability policy probably will not cover this activity. you will need to deal with this up front, and get buy in from the local fire marshal. if you are inside, you will need to switch to the 1 pound propane bottles and a modified regulator. all the rules and regulations that we design to for home studios, do not go away when you demo in public. ventilation inside would also be an issue, so i would not bring a big torch.

it does draw a crowd, so you will need someone to watch over things while you demo otherwise you may have some theft.

Old 2010-05-04, 10:13am

Ditto what Mark about the liability and different show promoters will require higher dollar amounts.
Also each show will have different fire regulations and requirements to follow. Sometimes you will need to get a permit from the city or town.
That being said you need to figure out what you are willing to do and asume the risks and what works for you may not work for someone else.
This thread has a list compiled by several lampworkers on what to take to a show.
http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160340
Old 2010-05-12, 10:08am

a booth with electric, and an oxycon are a huge help. lugging a tank sucks. a few small bottles of propane, or a grill tank takes care of the gas.

i used to do it all the time with tanks and all though. agree with Cosmo, sales always went through the roof. I always just flame annealed anything i made, and would sell it at a good price if someone wanted it. I'd do custom stuff as well.

if possible, it's well worth the extra trouble

Old 2010-06-24, 7:33am

Thumbs up Update: Outdoor shows are great fun!

Thanks to all for your ideas and guidance. I did 2 outdoor shows so far and love it. My goal is to spread the word about flameworking and build students for the studio. So, I have been doing farmers' markets. I don't sell my work there, but I do a raffle of a pair or earrings or a free intro class (winner's choice). People fill out a slip with contact info and check off if they'd like to be on my mailing list and/or get info on upcoming classes. It's been a great way to start some buzz.

I've mounted samples of my work on a 3.5' picture frame that I've added window screen to. I use zip ties to attach the pieces to the screen. That way no one can walk away with my creations. I have someone else with me to answer questions and get slips filled out.

My insurance carrier provides certificates of insurance and adds the venue as an insured when requested.

I work on a hot head. That's tough outside, but Sarah from Hot Head has been very helpful. I put a piece of masonite on the table that I've painted with high temp black paint. It helps me see the flame. (That's been the biggest challenge.) I was also working under a white EZ up canopy (supplied by the market). I'm buying a green one today to provide more shade.

A friend bolted a wooden groove on 3 sides of the table. I placed Lexan panes in the grooves to form a barrier.

I'm enjoying it so much, I've contacted 3 other farmers' markets and will be going to them as well. Let me know if you'd like any more information.

- Buffalo, NY
Old 2010-06-24, 9:19am

Hi Vicki,
I suggest you have a taller piece of glass/plexi glass that would stop shocky glass from flying over your barrier. In looking at your demo set up (the last picture) little faces and eyes are really to close.

Great marketing ideas, love the signs too.
MarieAnn
Old 2010-06-27, 5:30pm

Thanks for suggesting higher walls. I haven't had any problems with glass popping up, but you never know.

- Buffalo, NY
Old 2010-06-28, 3:54pm

Mike Marsh did this at the dog shows. It was so nice to see him there working on his boro animals. He had his oxy tank under his table and his propane in back by him. The product table was in front.
That is why I met him and his awesome wife. They were in Wichita Ks dog show.
Got to set in back with him and talked glass. Then asked about classes.
Now he is a little disabled and is still willing to give classes at his home shop.
It is awesome to see some one work in glass at a show or at a booth.

Rose Leslie