Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-01-15, 4:00pm

Default Resources for 5th grader doing lampwork report

So I've been asked to be a "mentor" to not one but two 5th graders who want to write their big capstone honors project on lampworking, and I'm the lampworker they know. I just met with one today, and she brought a book that she'd gotten from the library, but it's geared to intermediate beadmakers, and might as well be in french for all she can understand it. So now I need to help her find really basic lamworking books or tutorials, sort of "This is glass. This is what glass is made of. This is a mandrel" type of info. I'm going to work with her on the practical stuff, but she needs print resources in addition to my own endless fonts of wisdom. Suggestions? Websites? Good videos?

Thanks!
Old 2014-01-15, 4:25pm
Borovangelist

Henry Halem's "Glass Notes" is a treasure trove of information on everything from batching kilns to building furnaces and kilns.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Old 2014-01-15, 4:26pm

do you have "passing the flame?" That would be great.

Facebook:

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:
Old 2014-01-15, 5:32pm
Senior Moment

Corning Museum of Glass website. TONS of stuff there. Just for example:

http://www.cmog.org/article/lamp

http://www.cmog.org/article/annealing-glass

Alli

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2014-01-15, 6:23pm

I have a lampwork glossary on my website, and it's pretty extensive. Feel free to use it!

http://www.coloraddiction.com/glossary.html

Old 2014-01-15, 6:23pm

History of Venetian Bead Making is another great source! Interesting stuff here! I did a couple of demo's with some notes on the history of glass from here!

http://www.venetianbeadshop.com/Hist...s_ep_37-1.html

LynieG
Old 2014-01-15, 7:06pm
I'm meeeeelting

How about one of Cindy Jensen's books? They're pretty basic and have easy to follow photos of how to make a bead.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2014-01-15, 8:04pm
Irish Eyes A Smiling

Cindy Jenkins.....

Old 2014-01-15, 8:11pm

Thank you, everyone, this is just what I was needing!
Old 2014-01-15, 8:46pm
Glass-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyuno View Post
How about one of Cindy Jensen's books? They're pretty basic and have easy to follow photos of how to make a bead.
Ditto!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2014-01-17, 10:46am

Www.nlcbeads.com has the basics on how to make a bead on her site also. With cute critter beads that would appeal to that age group....

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2014-01-17, 10:47am

And Kerwin's book on Sharon Peters would be great...they would love her beads too!

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies