Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Shows and Festivals

Shows and Festivals -- Upcoming events

Old 2007-08-08, 10:18am
Missing presumed fed

Beadfest 2007: Cosmo exposes himself. . .
Old 2007-08-08, 12:30pm
ManBearPig

I don't need an excuse to do that...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-08-14, 11:37am
Damn Frit Bitch

I'm surprised that you get paid so little for teaching the class. I guess that they have to rent the facility/provide space. Are you having to take all the torches? I know any of the lampworking classes are expensive, so I haven't gone to any (though I would like to learn boro). Don't you live in/near Phili? You need to post on all the beading boards (I know several and I'm sure many of us know others) and hold a Pre-conference course of one or two days in your studio or a close by place (don't you teach locally?). You might get more interest from out of towners that would be willing to come to you rather than take your course at the event? I don't mind paying more for a smaller class rather than a big workshop thing at Bead Fest. Aren't there about 20 people in your class?

One of the teachers in Atlanta last year said that she needed about 22 students to make the trip worthwhile. I had no idea that the got paid so poorly. Oh well.

Susan
Old 2007-08-14, 1:12pm
ManBearPig

I don't have to take torches. They provide us with one kiln (a Chili Pepper I think) so I have to take a second kiln. I also have to provide all the glass, tools, etc. for the class. I just ordered over $1000 worth of glass and tools for the two classes I'm teaching. I put in the class description that I want everyone to bring their own glasses, but inevitably people show up without them, or with the wrong kind, so I'm probably going to have to purchase two or three pairs of borosilicate glasses before I go. That's another $400 or so.

I live in Roanoke, VA, which is a 6 hour drive to Philadelphia. Figuring in the price of gas and the hotel, we're putting out close to $900 before any food or anything.

As it stands, I'll be lucky to break even. But, I'm desperate for teaching jobs, so I take whatever I can find. Some teachers are in such high demand that they can pick and choose the venues they teach at, and get paid well for it. I can't do that. I basically have to work for free most places just to get them to let me teach there. I really want to make a career in glass, but there are very few opportunities for people who aren't already well established as teachers. Several studios have opened recently around the country and I've talked to most of them about teaching there, and pretty much offered to teach for free just to get name recognition. I've been turned down by all of them so far in favor of big name teachers who probably get a LOT more money for classes than I do.

I'm more than willing to go anywhere in the country or world to teach. I don't need a lot of money to do it either. Just enough that I don't lose money. Maybe that's the wrong way to do it, but I'd rather ask for less money and get the jobs than ask for a lot and sit at home doing nothing.

Old 2007-08-14, 7:02pm
Damn Frit Bitch

so, are you demoing at Hot Times in the Mountains? I think that we all will have minor torches there, so it would be tough to do boro there, but I wouldn't mind seeing. Oh! Just checked your website and you ARE!!! I think you are doing the first weekend and I'll be there the second? I'll have to check my dates. Darn!!
Old 2007-08-15, 6:48am
ManBearPig

There will be several bigger torches at Hot Time as well. I know Gary has a couple CC's there (one of which I'll be demonstrating on). And, it's not tough to do borosilicate on Minors. We teach all our classes on Minors. I can make a 1" marble on a Minor without much effort.

Old 2007-08-19, 7:13am
Scientific Glass Girl

is everyone ready??

Old 2007-08-19, 9:23pm

I am so excited that I keep making lists of what I need to take, clothes I'll need, things I'd like to buy. Yeah!!! I never get to go anywhere.
Old 2007-08-20, 6:03am
ManBearPig

I hope I'm ready. I'm sitting here looking at $1000 worth of glass and about $800 worth of jump rings...

Old 2007-08-20, 12:56pm

Cosmo,
Have there been any cancellations for your boro pendant class yet? I am first on the waiting list so I am hoping that I can get in. I will make sure that I check when I get there.
Thanks
Old 2007-08-20, 1:04pm
ManBearPig

I don't know. They don't let me know that. I don't even know the names of the people signed up until I get there...

Old 2007-08-27, 6:22am
Scientific Glass Girl

i had a lot of fun at beadfest, and it was awesome to see everyone! i hope everyone had a good time.

Old 2007-08-27, 7:07am
Dangerous Woman

I was disappointed. This was my 4th Beadfest. I didn't care for the venue. I didn't like the fact that it was on two floors. I think the isles were too narrow. If people were looking at the booths on both sides and someone stopped you could not get by. Since they used two floors they could have made the booths a little further apart.

I know they are having issues finding an ideal location so I won't judge too harshly. The place they used to have it at was torn down. I was happy with the place they had it at last year but I heard many complaints about it. I really liked it in Oct. I had more money then. I think since the date changed many venders that usually are there were not there this year.

I'm glad you enjoyed it and hope you found everything you were looking for! Even though I was a little disappointed I still spent way too much money!

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2007-08-27, 7:41am
ManBearPig

I didn't get to see any of the vendors. We were down at the entrance when they opened on Friday. I had to pick up some things from Ross at ABR, so I went there first. I picked up the stuff, and walked three more booths down and ran into Chris from Carlisle who wanted me to get on the demo torch. So, I went and made a marble, and then had to leave, get some lunch, and teach my first class. I taught a 9-4 class and a 5-8 class Saturday, and a 9-4 class Sunday. So I was pretty much in classes all day long.

I wish I had more spare time to meet more people. I can't comment on other things, but I will say there were some issues with the lampworking classes. I won't go into them here, but I will say that some were BeadFest's fault, and some were out of their control. I'm going to e-mail the BeadFest people and make some suggestions as to how to address these issues.

I will say this, however.... The BeadFest people listen to the people that come to their shows. If you have suggestions, let them know.

I did have a good time there, however. I think my classes went well. I hope my students had a good time and learned a lot.

Old 2007-08-27, 8:59am

I was a happy vendor at BeadFest this year. This venue is not half bad, and the crowds were healthy (I was upstairs). There are always minor discomforts, but no big deal.

Since I shared a table with Schermo within a bigger booth that belongs to Hye on Beads we had a lovely busy social selling time!! It was nice to see other beadmakers like Patti Cahill, Karen Bye and Bronwen Heilman. Cindy Craig was across the aisle from us, and we waved at her and her son all day long. I got to meet Ali's mom (and she is beautiful, like Ali).

I think there will be growing pains due to the new date and the new venue - in my case, I'm geared up to make new work in time for the usual October date, it was a challenge to be ready in August, but as this becomes routine, it will work. I heard great things about this year's classes from students running around on lunch breaks, and one of the improvements this year was a shift in show hours so that students had a little more shopping time (never enough, right?).

I don't think that the NY Bead Society came in a bus, as they had in year's past, and I missed seeing some of the NY beaders I think of as regulars. All in all, this was SO much better than the temporary venue in Reading, I'm willing to stick with it and try again next year. As Cosmo said, it is a big overhead just to get to the show and stay there, and that is a struggle everywhere.

It was great meeting and re-meeting so many beader friends. The BeadFest folks always want to improve their shows, I wouldn't hesitate to reach out to them with comments and criticisms. Jeri
Old 2007-08-27, 7:38pm
Scientific Glass Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by playswithfire104 View Post
I'm glad you enjoyed it and hope you found everything you were looking for! Even though I was a little disappointed I still spent way too much money!
i not only found things i was looking for, but i sold a lot of beads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeri View Post
Since I shared a table with Schermo within a bigger booth that belongs to Hye on Beads we had a lovely busy social selling time!! It was nice to see other beadmakers like Patti Cahill, Karen Bye and Bronwen Heilman. Cindy Craig was across the aisle from us, and we waved at her and her son all day long. I got to meet Ali's mom (and she is beautiful, like Ali).
aww jeri. it was awesome to see you, hope i can see you soon!

i second the "suggest things to beadfest staff" because they are all very helpful and will listen.

Old 2007-08-27, 8:41pm

I had an awesome time despite the airport losing my luggage for the first 2 days I was there. SCouncil and I roomed together which made things a lot easier on the pocket book. I think I will definately attend next year. I met a lot of new people and next year I will set up some meeting with fellow LE'ers. I took 2 lampwork classes that were great, especially with John Winter- what a great guy!

I am just unpacking and realize how much stuff I managed to buy - I guess I better get busy.

Stacie
Old 2007-08-28, 9:53am
Scientific Glass Girl

just wanted to share the few pictures i took!!

my mom and my neighbor natalie. she makes beautiful clay pendants!

john winter and i.

Old 2007-08-28, 10:05am
Damn Frit Bitch

I had a fabulous time, though I didn't do any of the lampwork classes. I had a great time though my luggage (and a lot of my purchases) are floating around in the airline system somewhere. I do hope that they return to me unharmed!! I carried my Thunderbird silver and some of the really nice seed bead kits in my backpack. Next time I'm taking a carryon suitcase (with wheels), my backpack and the checked in bag and carry ALL my purchases home in the carry on bags....
Old 2007-08-28, 10:21am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlivELampworK View Post
just wanted to share the few pictures i took!!

my mom and my neighbor natalie. she makes beautiful clay pendants!

john winter and i.

Were you in one of my classes? You look very familiar.

My memory is pretty bad these days, though....

Old 2007-08-29, 5:22am
Scientific Glass Girl

hey chad! i think i saw you on friday talking to chris from carlisle.. my booth was directly across from him. i would have loved to take a class..maybe next year!

Old 2007-08-29, 5:45am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlivELampworK View Post
hey chad! i think i saw you on friday talking to chris from carlisle.. my booth was directly across from him. i would have loved to take a class..maybe next year!
Gotcha. I knew I had seen you around there somewhere...