Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > The Mall > Customer Service Kiosk

Customer Service Kiosk -- Questions for LE vendors.

Old 2012-12-10, 10:53am
Hello?

I offer two hand-pulled colors of goldstone stringer at the moment.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-12-10, 12:08pm

Quote:
Sue...are goldstone beads pure goldstone? Seems like they would have had something added.
Quote:
Sue, I didn't know you could do that. Is it an online store?
It's something I've always done and haven't had any issues to date. WAIT! Let me qualify that statement. Beads have a hole drilled in them so they do shock and split, jetting off in all directions, if I'm not careful. I usually hold them over something for them to fly into, like a metal bowl. I also heat carefully and further out in the flame.

Then I get a piece and melt it on the end of a mandrel, pick up other broken pieces of gold stone by dipping molten end on piece- heat and melt it in. Continue til I have a fair size glob. I let it cool a little and encase it in something transparent- sometimes clear, sometimes rubino, sometimes green or blue. Heat and pull out into stringer width.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2012-12-10, 6:08pm
Peerless Thread Killer

If you want to try buying goldstone and encasing chunks and pulling your own stringers, greatrough.com is a great source for gold, blue and green aventurine.

Old 2012-12-10, 6:14pm

[quote=zen-mom;4183356]Nice sales pitch Mike... QUOTE]

Wow, that appears to be a little pissie...
Old 2012-12-10, 6:30pm
Glass Hive Kiln Tech.

Hi Mikey!,

Do you have any of the gold stone ribbons from Italy? They were about 8" long, 1/4" wide, and I would need a micrometer to give a thickness. It seems to be the most pure gold tone I have ever worked with. Dr. Meow gave me some years ago, so I don't know where they came from originally, but it was rockin'.

I suspect it was made with the small star type.

I'd pay more for that quality.

Duanne, As far as pulling your own, the best luck I had was the old straw yellow as a case, or Lauscha clear. Even if you hate the big L for most applications, it is so thin you won't have issues in a finished piece by the time you pull it down. That is my super sparkle combo.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
Old 2012-12-10, 7:41pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Quote:
Hi Mikey!,

Do you have any of the gold stone ribbons from Italy? They were about 8" long, 1/4" wide, and I would need a micrometer to give a thickness. It seems to be the most pure gold tone I have ever worked with. Dr. Meow gave me some years ago, so I don't know where they came from originally, but it was rockin'.

I suspect it was made with the small star type.

I'd pay more for that quality.

Duanne, As far as pulling your own, the best luck I had was the old straw yellow as a case, or Lauscha clear. Even if you hate the big L for most applications, it is so thin you won't have issues in a finished piece by the time you pull it down. That is my super sparkle combo.
Do you use the Lauscha because it doesn't do weird reaction-y stuff like turn the copper green? I'm guessing it's the clear that's been doing that when I made my stringers. Which is why I switched to using a light amber or the Vetrofond trans brown.

Old 2012-12-10, 8:08pm

Pam, I think the ribbons came from Luigi. There is a dealer here in the US carrying them, I believe? Check with ABR.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2012-12-10, 8:28pm
Glass Hive Kiln Tech.

Quote:
Do you use the Lauscha because it doesn't do weird reaction-y stuff like turn the copper green? I'm guessing it's the clear that's been doing that when I made my stringers. Which is why I switched to using a light amber or the Vetrofond trans brown.
Yes, that was the main reason. I discovered using goldstone frit that was just plain goldstone came out flashier than the cased rods I made. I case marbles with Laucha due to its ease of workability under high heat. Soon I cased chunks that way an got my flash both ways.

Before that I used to swear by the light ambers. The really pale. I also liked using the old light uranium green, but I don't know if that is available anymore.

I used a light clear coat then the rubino (extra dark) and got beautiful pink goldstone that did not react when super heated.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
Old 2012-12-10, 8:38pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Quote:
Yes, that was the main reason. I discovered using goldstone frit that was just plain goldstone came out flashier than the cased rods I made. I case marbles with Laucha due to its ease of workability under high heat. Soon I cased chunks that way an got my flash both ways.

Before that I used to swear by the light ambers. The really pale. I also liked using the old light uranium green, but I don't know if that is available anymore.

I used a light clear coat then the rubino (extra dark) and got beautiful pink goldstone that did not react when super heated.
I'm totally trying this!
Thanks for the info.

Old 2012-12-10, 10:00pm

[quote=ohbeads;4184522]
Quote:
Nice sales pitch Mike... QUOTE]

Wow, that appears to be a little pissie...
Honey, that ain't nothing. Wait till you have a few more posts - hope you don't get skeered!
Old 2012-12-10, 10:48pm
Addicted to Melting Glass

I recall learning to encase aventurine with clear to pull stringers in a class one time, and the instructor said to keep the aventurine from getting too hot or it would ruin the color. When I do it I keep the unencased chunk way out in the flame, and seem to have some success. Maybe that's partly why some people get the dullish effect? I mean, in addition to possibly having some of the bad chunks to start with.

Old 2012-12-10, 10:51pm
Addicted to Melting Glass

Did I say aventurine? I meant goldstone.

Old 2012-12-11, 3:19pm

[quote=mewsicmama;4184745]
Quote:

Honey, that ain't nothing. Wait till you have a few more posts - hope you don't get skeered!
I don't scare easily
I'm amazed daily at how many people here are down right snotty to what some of you guys refer to as newbies. When I participated on this board way before some of you even picked up a striker, it was the same way. For the life of me I don't understand why it is so important to be shitty to anyone, especially one business person to another. Customer service is everything to this consumer and there's a reason why Mike has been in business for as long as he has

Same crap, different players

Kirsti
Old 2012-12-11, 4:03pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Quote:
Did I say aventurine? I meant goldstone.
This post made me go to Google 'cause I was curious if it was, in fact, the same thing or two different things. Looks to me like it *is* the same thing
From Wikipedia (yes, I know sometimes Wikipedia is wrong) but this one sounds legit.

)

To Ohbeads, I am sorry if you think I was being snotty to Mike. I do know him in person and *he knows* I am just messing with him.

Old 2012-12-11, 5:33pm
Melody of Glass

[quote=ohbeads;4185153]
Quote:

I don't scare easily
I'm amazed daily at how many people here are down right snotty to what some of you guys refer to as newbies. When I participated on this board way before some of you even picked up a striker, it was the same way. For the life of me I don't understand why it is so important to be shitty to anyone, especially one business person to another. Customer service is everything to this consumer and there's a reason why Mike has been in business for as long as he has

Same crap, different players

Kirsti
I've actually found exactly the opposite on this forum. I've found everyone incredibly encouraging and welcoming. I find it to be a very friendly place.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2012-12-12, 10:14pm
Unmedicated since '62

[quote=caliente;4185280]
Quote:

I've actually found exactly the opposite on this forum. I've found everyone incredibly encouraging and welcoming. I find it to be a very friendly place.
yup, and we can razz on each other cos we know each other

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-12-13, 12:59am
Melody of Glass

[quote=PerfectDeb;4186373]
Quote:

yup, and we can razz on each other cos we know each other
Ha! I'm glad to hear that. Thought it might be getting g a bit tense in this thread soon!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2012-12-13, 1:02pm
Unmedicated since '62

[quote=caliente;4186449]
Quote:

Ha! I'm glad to hear that. Thought it might be getting g a bit tense in this thread soon!
Dunno why

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-12-14, 8:50am
Mr Brutus RIP

Eileen, those are beautiful!!!
Sue when you say beads to make the stringers that makes me wonder about the rocks you see in some places......you fill the little velvet bag for a set price, would that be the same?
If I just cracked them up a bit and used them?

Beautiful Joe!!
Great info Mike. I purchased HUGE rods from you....the shock and go crazy but I started warming them in my kiln (dont' know why I never thought to before) and using them in my marbles I've been playing with.........they are Super sparklie!!!

Great info!
Sue

Old 2012-12-14, 9:29am

Default small stars and large stars

I have found out that small stars just do not work, so don't go breaking up any antique fine goldstone small star jewelry from any rare collections.

Mike

Frantz Art Glass Website:

The Torch Website:

Mike's phone: 800.839.6712 ext 206
Old 2012-12-14, 10:02am

Default Luigi on Murano

I see that some of you know of Luigi from Murano. If you ever think of visiting Venice and would like to stay on Murano, Luigi is a MUST. For the past 15 or more years I always stay in his apartments. Clean, well equipped, and two apartments with great views, close to the co op, close to the glass. And at a reasonable price. And not to forget Luigi is a very cool person who is well connected on Murano, know where the deals are and knows where the best food is. The ultimate Murano guide.

Mike

The Torch Website:

Old 2012-12-14, 1:56pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

What does small star vs. large star mean?

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2012-12-14, 7:30pm
Is it Torch Time Yet?

Quote:
I have found out that small stars just do not work, so don't go breaking up any antique fine goldstone small star jewelry from any rare collections.

Mike
Now ya tell me!

(just kidding)
Old 2012-12-15, 10:25am

Default Gold

Quote:
What does small star vs. large star mean?
On the small stars, the pattern is tighter and the large stars the pattern is larger. I can only guess that small stars that become pulled into stringers get so condensed that there is no sparkle. The larger stars pull down and look nice?

I am sure somebody else might have something else to say about small stars and big stars.

I like things that sparkle.

Mike

The Torch Website:

Last edited by mikefrantz; 2012-12-15 at 10:26am. Reason: I like pulled pork...go figure
Old 2012-12-15, 3:01pm

Quote:
Sue when you say beads to make the stringers that makes me wonder about the rocks you see in some places......you fill the little velvet bag for a set price, would that be the same?
If I just cracked them up a bit and used them?

Great info!
Sue
Yes, same stuff.... in fact, those might even be better as they have no holes. I think the hole in the bead is what makes the goldstone beads shatter. You know, hot air going thru the middle causing the bead to shock and explode? Those "rocks" might even be better than the beads.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2012-12-16, 4:50pm

Try CIM peachy keen for encasing.

Georgia
Old 2012-12-17, 10:18pm

I get my goldstone from one of those roadside rock shops. The one near me sells bags of chunks by the pound for $7.00.

All my children have paws
Proud Member of "YOU PEOPLE" 9.13.11
Old 2012-12-18, 3:58pm

No one has yet mentioned encasing the goldstone in medium amethyst. I picked up this hint from Corina years ago (in her book and also on the forum). It makes beautiful gold stringer with no hint of purple.

I agree that the commercial stringers and rods are pretty pathetic compared to what you can do on your own with good quality materials. I've always bought mine from Arrow Springs, so there's another source to try.

Nolly
Old 2012-12-18, 4:59pm
Naysayer

Quote:
Pretty much 98% of the 104 goldstone stringers come from Effetre. The factory that makes the goldstone is in Italy. I have been there and the size of the boulder was as big as a sofa. There were two workers in chairs with hammers hammering away. They would divide the rocks they broke off into three different grades......small stars (used for Jewelry) large stares (sold to glass factories) and the green stuff which ends up in the landfill.
<snip>

Did I mention that we have goldstone stringers for sale? Goldstone stringers always discounted at Frantz Art Glass, the leader in the 104 glass industry.

Have a nice day

Mike
Can I ask why the green is dumped? I see a few threads over the years that some have cracking issues with green..is it the dumped stuff or is there green that is made for use?

DO NOT want to step on any toes, but I thought I would give a go with devardi goldstone rod. I have to say it's just as sparkly as using chunks and way easier imo...just encase the end and pull a stringer. It's 4-5mm, looks crappy until you encase and pull, it's surprised me how sparkly it is. I can post pics if anyone is interested, but they honestly look just like Eileen's.
Old 2012-12-18, 5:02pm
Angie09

Quote:
No one has yet mentioned encasing the goldstone in medium amethyst. I picked up this hint from Corina years ago (in her book and also on the forum). It makes beautiful gold stringer with no hint of purple.

I agree that the commercial stringers and rods are pretty pathetic compared to what you can do on your own with good quality materials. I've always bought mine from Arrow Springs, so there's another source to try.

Nolly
Do you buy "pieces" or "chunks " from Arrow Springs?