Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-02-24, 2:05pm

Default What can I do with copper foil?

Well, thank heavens for you guys and this board! So here's one that's puzzling me. I'm a relatively new lampworker, using a hothead torch. I purchased some silver foil awhile back and love it. I bought some copper foil and darned if I can figure out what to do with it. I tried to apply it like the silver (little bits on a hot-surfaced bead), and poof - it seems to instantly burn off and leave a rather ugly colored residue. I had assumed it was used just like the silver. So for this relative newbie...help! What can I do with this stuff???

Thanks much!
Old 2010-02-24, 2:13pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

this will get you started:

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...ht=copper+foil

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-02-24, 2:18pm
Peerless Thread Killer

You took the link right out from under my fingers, lol!
That Lavender Creek tutorial is great.

Old 2010-02-24, 3:36pm
Uh-oh means it's too late

HEHEHEH I was thinking the same thing and since I am VERY afraid of the toxicity of the copper does anyone know what the safest CFM ventillation is for it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-02-24, 3:37pm
Uh-oh means it's too late

I think it is more toxic when you are burning it off like in the tutorial but I use my current ventillation for the mesh and wire as I am embedding it not burning off in a vapor form.

Old 2010-02-24, 6:12pm
The Andrea Half

Check on the Southern flames website. Robert Simmons has a lovely tutorial on making butterfly beads using copper foil you've punched with a scrapbook punch and white enamel. The technique works for more than butterflies

http://www.southernflames.org/Tips and Techniques/Tips and Techniques BOC Wearable Butterfly Bead.htm

Old 2010-02-25, 5:48am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDoorBeads View Post
HEHEHEH I was thinking the same thing and since I am VERY afraid of the toxicity of the copper does anyone know what the safest CFM ventillation is for it?
Not sure there is a direct answer to your question, other than to be sure you have SUPERB ventilation - ala Mike A's Ventilation Primer. I personally don't use copper inclusions, or fume with silver or gold, unless I'm working in a barley box style vent hood system and also using a P100/N100 face mask. I wear a face shield, too, so that any evaporants don't land on my face where they could be absorbed. Other members have posted about always wearing long sleeves and fingerless gloves to further minimize exposure. We had one LE member post that she got very sick from all of the copper inclusions she was using - something that stayed with me....

Feels like I've suited up for a moon walk, but the only one who laughs is the dog.

Linda
Old 2010-02-25, 6:03am
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

Dumb Question Here......I know that silver is highly toxic and can cause all kinds of systemic problems, but what did the copper cause in the other lampworker? I've handled pure copper for over 40 years on a regular basis with my stained glass (tiffany style is 99% of what I do) - and never thought anything about including it in my beads. I know that it is a natural element in our metabolism and, as such, was never terribly worried about it- like I have been about the lead and acid flux and patinas (selenium). Can someone enlighten me about its toxicity? I'm sure if I'm wondering others are as well. Cheers! Joan

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!

Last edited by j2canoe; 2010-02-25 at 6:07am.
Old 2010-02-25, 9:00am
as in the state

I'm with Joan.

I knew silver toxicity could be a bad BAD thing, but hadn't heard much about copper. I'm curious about what it did to the other lampworker who said she'd gotten sick from it, too.

-Amy
Old 2010-02-27, 9:17am

Thank you for pointing me to the excellent tutorial! I never thought about toxicity beyond regular ventilation. Yikes! We have a room that is all windows and stone floor, with a huge hottub in it. I sit on the steps to the hottub and open the door all the way for ventilation, but it sounds like working with metals, I need something better. Thank you for all the help, and the warnings, too.
Old 2010-02-27, 10:04am

I learned from Kate Fowle Meleney that the enamel is absolutely not necessary. What you need is MORE OXY. I know that's not possible with a hot head but I can get gorgeous copper blues simply by adding the leaf, and turning down my propane (I'm running on concentrators).

Old 2010-02-27, 6:34pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Here's an example of what Darleen is talking about: This is copper leaf over topaz.

Jack

Old 2010-02-27, 9:56pm

Jack, gorgeous bead!

Old 2010-02-28, 1:19am
Micromosaic and Lampwork

I guess I haven't burned it long enough. All I got was black. Something to try again.

Last edited by Torched Art; 2010-02-28 at 1:23am.
Old 2010-02-28, 8:35am
BeadsonCypress

Thanks for starting this thread....I found my copper foil and was having EXACTLY the same question!

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2010-02-28, 9:08am
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarleenMB View Post
Jack, gorgeous bead!
Thank you Darleen!

Jack

Old 2010-02-28, 2:51pm
reaction junkie

Jack, that is lovely, I'm going to have to try that combo sometime!

Here is some copper leaf over opal yellow. It took a LONG time to get the reaction and burn most of the black off, obvioulsy I finally gave up, but liked it anyway.

/
/
/
Old 2010-03-01, 11:54am
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Thank you Pam.

Jack

Old 2010-03-01, 7:05pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2canoe View Post
Dumb Question Here......I know that silver is highly toxic and can cause all kinds of systemic problems, but what did the copper cause in the other lampworker? I've handled pure copper for over 40 years on a regular basis with my stained glass (tiffany style is 99% of what I do) - and never thought anything about including it in my beads. I know that it is a natural element in our metabolism and, as such, was never terribly worried about it- like I have been about the lead and acid flux and patinas (selenium). Can someone enlighten me about its toxicity? I'm sure if I'm wondering others are as well. Cheers! Joan
It's been a couple of years since I saw her post, so I don't remember everything she shared, but she did follow up to say it took her a long time to recover.

The issue with using it as an inclusion is the fact that at the flame temperature, so much more is released than when it's in solid form, and it may also react with elements in the air - I'm not a chemist, so maybe someone who is can comment about any risks along that line. At room temperature, it's relatively inert.

Linda
Old 2010-03-01, 7:07pm

Some gorgeous beads! Some folks use copper mesh or punch shapes out of the thicker copper and use them in inclusions. The copper will turn black in the flame, but turns a gorgeous red when encased and cooled to room temp.

Linda
Old 2010-03-08, 2:46pm

After I came across this thread, it prompted me to pull out my copper leaf. These are done on a hot head with the white enamel then the copper burnished and basically burned to ash. Then I messed the glass with a pick and clear encased.

The first one is over dark ivory and the second is over CIM Hades