TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Old 2008-07-30, 5:00pm

Default Mac Compatibility Issues?

I hope this is the right place to post this...

A few Mac users have reported problems with my PDF E-book, such as the text being "blocked out" or garbled. Other Mac users can open the file with no problems. I'm not a Mac user (obviously), so I'm not sure what is causing this. I've been researching online, but can't seem to find a solution.

Does anyone happen to know what causes this kind of problem, or if anything can be done to fix it? Is there software the users can download, or anything I can do on my end to make the file compatible?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
Old 2008-07-30, 5:08pm
In search of her path....

Which program did you use to create the PDF Sarah? One thing thats good to do is make sure fonts are "outlined" in the PDF when its converted that means its turned to art that makes it so it looks the same to everyone who sees it. If its not if someone doesnt have the font you have it may not look the same or load the same.

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2008-07-30, 5:15pm

Thanks!

I designed the individual pages in Photoshop 8 and compiled them with Acrobat 9.
I know there is an option in Photoshop for "Save text as outlines" - does that result in a much larger file size?
(And is there a way to do it through Acrobat, so I don't have to work on each individual page again?)

|
|
|
Old 2008-07-30, 5:27pm
da General

Saving text as outlined is really for sending the actually native files (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign) to someone who don't have your fonts. That's one of the whole idea behind PDFs - you shouldn't need to do that. You need to make sure that the fonts are embedded if you want them to appear exactly the same as how you create it, however.

It may be that the persons who tried to open the pdf had an older version of Acrobat Reader than the version you created the file for.

Do you know if there is anyone who CAN open your pdf on a mac?

|
|
|
|

Last edited by Hayley; 2008-07-30 at 6:15pm.
Old 2008-07-30, 6:10pm
Covered in glitter

When I tried to print it I got a notice saying that I had an older version of Acrobat and I should download Acrobat9 or I might have a problem. I just downloaded it before I tried and it printed beautifully. I'm not on a MAC but that could be part of the problem?

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2008-07-30, 6:14pm
da General

Thanks, Deb . . . that's what I thought!

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-07-30, 6:21pm

I loaded Acrobat 9 and am still having the same problem. Could be operator error, I am not real savvy when it comes to computers. I normally don't have any problems opening files.

Lynn

Is anyone else having this problem?
Old 2008-07-30, 7:50pm
make beads not war

Sarah, you could try saving the tutorial down to 5.0 or 6.0 so it'll be compatible with more people.
Old 2008-07-30, 8:06pm

Default Mac problems too

Sarah,
sorry I just emailed you before I read this. I'm on a Mac, and all my words are blocked out too. downloaded the adobe 9 but no still blocked out words.

Old 2008-07-31, 3:41am

I had problems when I opened it on my Mac Book, but when I opened it on my "big Mac" I had no trouble.
I'm not a computer-wiz so I'm not sure how and why

Old 2008-07-31, 10:59am

Hi everyone,

I'm on a Mac and had the same problem with all the words blocked out when I first tried to read Sarah's tutorial. That is because my Mac was showing the tut using the Preview app.
I downloaded the latest version of Adobe Reader for my operating system and installed it. At the end of the installation process, it asks if you want to make Adobe Reader the default reader for PDFs. I chose to do that. Then I opened Sarah's tut and everything was copacetic. Sarah's tutorial is superb!!!

Pam

Last edited by sadiebob; 2008-07-31 at 11:08am.
Old 2008-07-31, 11:09am
Obsessed Blogger

That's weird. Isn't PDF kind of like a .jpg? It shouldn't be different from one person to the next?

::
Old 2008-07-31, 12:15pm

I finally solved the problem by saving each page as an individual JPG, then compiling everything into one file. It came out quite heavy - I had to choose between 7MB and really crappy image quality, so I went with the 7MB (in 2 separate PDFs).

I think I sent the file to everyone who reported problems, but if I missed anyone - please e-mail me at sarah.hornik@gmail.com and I will send you your copy.

|
|
|
Old 2008-07-31, 1:19pm

Thanks Sarah! Everything looks GREAT. Sorry to have had you do all that extra work. I really appreciate it.

Lynn
Old 2008-08-18, 9:32am

Hummm, I'm wondering what the issues are going to be "From" a Mac, "To" the Windows based computers. All our computers are Mac OS and I'm doing a tutorial.
I'm thinking seriously, (after reading this thread) to just create an e-book in Aperture or iphoto.. Glad Randy will be doing that part and not me..

Last edited by slcuniques; 2008-08-19 at 8:00am.
Old 2008-08-19, 8:00am

How would everyone feel about doing tuts on DVD's?