AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2010-12-30, 10:05am

Default Divide Tutorial and Tutorials to Purchase?

I love both the free tutorials and I love the Tutorials the Purchase. I have bought quite of few of them and I love being able to go there to learn a new technique especially when I'm in a creative slump.

What do you think about keeping the Tutorials and the Tutorials For Purchase sections separate? When I'm looking in the Tutorials mostly what I find are advertisements or plugs for the stuff in Tutorials For Purchase. Since all the information is available why do we have the duplicate posts?

When I look at Tutorials it would be nice to just have posts with actual tutorials or pointers to tutorials instead of re-directions to other parts of the forum.

How does every one else feel about that?

jgraff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-12-30, 10:18am

Maybe I'm not understanding, but there is a tutorial for purchase
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70
Is this what you mean??

granny
Old 2010-12-30, 10:33am
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraff View Post
What do you think about keeping the Tutorials and the Tutorials For Purchase sections separate? When I'm looking in the Tutorials mostly what I find are advertisements or plugs for the stuff in Tutorials For Purchase. Since all the information is available why do we have the duplicate posts?

When I look at Tutorials it would be nice to just have posts with actual tutorials or pointers to tutorials instead of re-directions to other parts of the forum.

How does every one else feel about that?

jgraff
Yes, I agree it's a problem. I don't see it changing unless Corri cleans it up or appoints a moderator to do it. It would also help if she made these threads deletable by the originator so that people could get rid of all the sale threads cluttering it up. I don't see any of that happening though because it's been brought up a number of times by many people.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-12-30, 2:22pm
Glass-aholic

Yes! I find myself avoiding this area because of the many misleading posts that SHOULD be in the purchase section..........

The tutorial section has become a comercial.. leading people into posts in the other room. This room used to flourish with new and creative tutorials for FREE. Not be littered with BUY ME posts....

(PS tutorials to buy, GREAT, in this room, wrong place, no offense to anyone, just speaking in general) I mouse over something, and if it is to buy, i keep going.... I dont pay any attention to who posted it.. and I would not remember if i bothered to look anyways )

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2010-12-30, 2:53pm

You know, I really don't want to annoy anyone by posting about for-sale tutorials here in main tutorials section. But the "Tutorials for Purchase" section is kind of hidden away and easily overlooked, so when I have a new tutorial out, I have been posting at least one announcement here in the main tutorials forum too. I didn't think this was inappropriate because I've seen so many other people posting about their for-sale tutorials in this part of the forum, I suspect because they're afraid their announcements will be overlooked in the "for sale" ghetto, too.

Maybe we could distinguish between paid and free tutorials by posting "free" in the titles of the free ones and "$" in the titles of the for-sale ones. That way, people who don't want to risk accidentally looking at announcements for lampworking publications that they might have to (gasp!) pay for would be able to quickly skim the titles and avoid the for-sale tuts.

Ability to delete posts in this section would be nice, too.

Old 2010-12-30, 3:09pm
I fart diamonds

Kim, I hear what you're saying, but isn't that the whole point of the "Auctions, self promotion, and related things" area?

Old 2010-12-30, 3:15pm
Experimentalist

Maybe the thread could be cleaned up, and Corri could add a really clear description to the title (like: "Only post information and/or free tutorial news here... if you have a for-sale tutorial, post it in one of the self-promotion threads").

Old 2010-12-30, 3:39pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
Kim, I hear what you're saying, but isn't that the whole point of the "Auctions, self promotion, and related things" area?
Yes, and it's the whole point of the "Tutorials for Sale" area, too. But you still have lots of people posting about their for-sale tutorials in here...that's my point. I'll be happy to start confining my tutorial posts to those designated areas as soon as all of the other people who are posting about their "for sale" tutorials here in the main tutorials section do as well.

Old 2010-12-30, 3:54pm
Experimentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluffroadglass View Post
Yes, and it's the whole point of the "Tutorials for Sale" area, too. But you still have lots of people posting about their for-sale tutorials in here...that's my point. I'll be happy to start confining my tutorial posts to those designated areas as soon as all of the other people who are posting about their "for sale" tutorials here in the main tutorials section do as well.
That's how I start to feel about all the people who "bump" their threads in the sales areas despite knowing and being told often not to do it.

So then I have to decide if I follow the rules and watch my posts sink to page two over and over again.

Or I bump my threads like many others do.

Shrug.

Old 2010-12-30, 7:35pm
Bead maker and bead buyer

If people keep posting in the wrong places, waiting for other people to stop, no one will stop. And the right place will continue to be shunned because everyone's posting in the wrong places.

I don't think that the separate area for purchased tutorials is a ghetto. I go there, and I'm sure other people go there too. Those threads get a lot of views.
Old 2010-12-30, 7:52pm
Storm Queen

Until this site is actually moderated (yes, I said it) nothing will change. People post in the wrong part of the forum just so their post isn't missed and they do it all over the place and yes, it's annoying. There are labeled rooms here for a reason. I know quite a few people that won't buy from someone if they think they are over pimping their website in the wrong areas...one vendor comes to mind and it's no one that's posted in this thread....just so you know...

The tutorial sections are a mess here. Maybe Cosmo should start a tutorial site because I betcha that would be nice and organized.

Old 2010-12-30, 7:53pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura B View Post
That's how I start to feel about all the people who "bump" their threads in the sales areas despite knowing and being told often not to do it.
Again, moderation would fix that.

Old 2010-12-30, 8:01pm
Experimentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
Again, moderation would fix that.
Surely Corri doesn't expect to be able to moderate this whole site alone, right? I mean... there are helpers... right?

When I ran The Mellow Bead, I had at least eight moderators and the place was nowhere as big as this one.

Old 2010-12-30, 8:06pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura B View Post
Surely Corri doesn't expect to be able to moderate this whole site alone, right? I mean... there are helpers... right?

When I ran The Mellow Bead, I had at least eight moderators and the place was nowhere as big as this one.
Nope, no mods.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-12-30, 8:19pm
Detail G-Mama!

I thought we could delete our threads here! That's why I put a reminder, because I thought I could delete the thread! Sorry bout that!

Old 2010-12-31, 6:42pm

There used to be mods. Then they were gone...

The ability to delete the sale posts would be very helpful in cleaning things up.

Old 2011-01-03, 7:33am
אהבה אני ישו

I am in favor of getting the "for sale" threads out of this section too. I am coming here less and less to look for free advice and help because it's too frustrating to find anything. Very sad that paid tutorials have sort of taken over. I certainly get writing and selling "lessons" for a technique that an artists develops. I just disagree with that over-running an area that was designed for artist who desire to share their knowledge and abilities with others. I remember the good ol' days ...

I hope this thread doesn't die because I'm hoping WHOEVER is in charge will take note and change things!!! Please.

Believer
Wife
Mother
Grandmother
Student
Artist

Wishes the hot flashes she has were only the kind that occur at her torch...

Old 2011-01-03, 8:18am
Crispy Critter

I also get irritated at the paid tutorials being in the free tutorial section. I don't even like the posts telling everyone that they have a new one for sale in the paid section. It's all spam IMHO.

Old 2011-01-03, 8:23am
Experimentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdd View Post
I also get irritated at the paid tutorials being in the free tutorial section. I don't even like the posts telling everyone that they have a new one for sale in the paid section. It's all spam IMHO.
I don't get that. Isn't that what that one thread is specifically for? Why would that be spam?

Old 2011-01-03, 9:41am
Crispy Critter

Sorry, let me reword that. I don't even like the posts in the free section telling everyone that they have a new one for sale in the paid section. It's all spam IMHO.

Old 2011-01-03, 10:40am
Storm Queen

Quote:
Sorry, let me reword that. I don't even like the posts in the free section telling everyone that they have a new one for sale in the paid section. It's all spam IMHO.
I agree.

Old 2011-01-03, 10:45am
what's a senior moment ?

Quote:
I also agree with this.

Old 2011-01-03, 11:16am
Who me?

Quote:

Me three.
Old 2011-01-03, 12:35pm
I'm a lilac!

Perhaps part of the problem is that this section isn't labeled "free tutorials", but simply, "tutorials". Perhaps it would help if there was a "free tutorials" subsection. Then, if someone posted an ad for a pay tut in it, anyone could report the post and it would get pulled. As it stands I don't think it's clear that this section is for free tuts only.

Old 2011-01-03, 1:55pm
Nikki Haverstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
Perhaps part of the problem is that this section isn't labeled "free tutorials", but simply, "tutorials". Perhaps it would help if there was a "free tutorials" subsection. Then, if someone posted an ad for a pay tut in it, anyone could report the post and it would get pulled. As it stands I don't think it's clear that this section is for free tuts only.
That is a good point. It would help because there are also posts asking questions about tutorials in general, looking for tutorials etc.
Old 2011-01-03, 1:59pm
MacGalver

What a good idea! If there was a general "tutorials" section, then a sub "free" and a sub "paid" sections then there would be a place for conversations about tutorials, as well as announcements, etc. Excellent solution!

Jo

Old 2011-01-03, 4:52pm
It's all about the color.

Many times someone's question about how to do something turns into a free tutorial so then much info may be lost if the question was asked in one section, then the tutorial that may result could end up in the general section.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2011-01-03, 5:15pm
MacGalver

That's a very good point, too, Kay!

Jo

Old 2011-01-03, 7:36pm
Crispy Critter

I don't know...if you have a paid tutorial section it would imply that the other section is free.

Old 2011-01-03, 8:18pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
I don't know...if you have a paid tutorial section it would imply that the other section is free.
Yup. Besides, the "free" section was here long before the whole "paid" tutorial thing.