TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Old 2010-12-21, 7:50pm

Default Phoenician head beads?

Hello! This is my very first post here ever, so I hope I've got this in the right place. I'm wondering if anyone here is making the Phoenician head beads and is willing to share a tutorial for how they go together?

Example of what I'm talking about: http://www.venetianbeads.com/PhoenicianHeads.htm

Cordially,
Elinor
Old 2010-12-21, 8:58pm
Dancing Moon Shadows

Kinda cool! Oh, and WELCOME to LE!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/b][/i][/font]
Old 2011-01-05, 9:19pm
It's all about the color.

I have only seen a few attempt these beads, and it is one type of bead I've not yet tried though I saw one in the Bead Museum in Washington D.C. (now closed).

If I were trying to make one though, I think I would make a twistie and use that for the hair and beard. This bead would have been made off mandrel because it's hung from a loop at the top.

Hope that helped you a bit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2011-01-06, 8:30am
Formerly Kellyhorton

Love your profile pic!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by listenup View Post
i have only seen a few attempt these beads, and it is one type of bead i've not yet tried though i saw one in the bead museum in washington d.c. (now closed).

If i were trying to make one though, i think i would make a twistie and use that for the hair and beard. This bead would have been made off mandrel because it's hung from a loop at the top.

Hope that helped you a bit.

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK

In the '60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Old 2011-01-06, 9:00am
I speak Murrini!

Hi Elinor and welcome to LE!

Couple quick questions...

How long have you been lampworking?
Are you working in 104 (or other soft glass) or boro?

First I have to say that I am kinda drawn to the "mostly turquoise" bead in the link you gave...kinda reminds me of "Zeus"!

If it were ME (since I've never tried one of these before) I'd try a couple on a mandrel first to help establish and familiarize myself with the steps to create it THEN give it a go off-mandrel.

For starters, I'd make a round gather - fairly good sized (maybe 3/4" or so) - to establish the base for the head.

The "eyes" are created by stacking a series of dots then melting them in. You would begin with two large dots in the color of the "eyebrows" applied in the upper quadrant of the head gather - similarly sized and spaced slightly apart. Melt these first dots mostly into the base then top each with another large dot of the face base color - applied slightly lower/off center - leaving only an upside down "U" shape sort of like a sliver of a moon shape. Melt those in which will give you the curved "eyebrows".

Then I'd add a smaller dot of the darker eye "socket" color (just don't get too close to your now-created brows!) and add a drop of white or face base color and finish with a dot of the pupil color. Melt them all in slowly so they don't spread too fast and become HUGE! It also looks as if a larger diameter rounded poker (such as a dapp, the butt end of a exact-o knife handle or similarly sized, round-end marver) was used to "indent" the eyes after melting in to add depth and help to define the raised "cheek" area.

On the hair and beard, it looks to me like these are applied in a series of swipes, then using parallel mashers made into something of a "tab" that extends off the face. Using a razor blade or tools such as the Whimzacalities "shapers", tweezers or even a pair of scissors (just to "indent" and not fully snip!) you'd start by reheating the tab and creasing it to make the beard and hair "row" divisions. Once those are established, your can lightly reheat each little "row section" and just add the small accent indents to give the hair and beard more definition.

The "mouth" looks like a small dot that is mostly melted in then "creased" horizontally in the center with a razor tool to make the lips.

I'd apply small swipes or dots to create the ears next to last, using a small poker once they're well adhered to give them definition. Then using a face colored stringer, add a tiny dot for the nose and let it melt in well before touching just the tip and giving it a little "tug" to pull it out a touch and give it definition.

After you get the idea of what your method would be using the stability of a mandrel to help you tinker with it, you can try it off-mandrel using a large gather at the end of a face colored rod then adding the features and bail as the last steps.

Hope my suggestions help you a bit! I'd love to see what you come up with!

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro

Last edited by theglasszone; 2011-01-06 at 9:11am. Reason: clarifying...sorta!
Old 2011-01-09, 12:33pm

Louise Ingram did a lot of work and posted about this topic and some of her ancient bead reproduction work on her website. Take a look!

http://www.fireseed.ca/index.php?opt...d=58&Itemid=72
Old 2011-01-10, 10:08am
honorary bead lady

http://www.timelessbeads.net/glass.htm
Old 2011-02-02, 8:57am

Thanks DeAnne for the advice! I've been doing historic reproduction beads pretty much exclusively for the last 2 years or so, all in 104 on a hothead torch.

I'm pretty new to sculptural-type beads, so I'm kinda nervous about totally botching the first few, but I really like your steps and I think I'll give them a try. Thanks very much!

~Elinor

Visit my Etsy shop for replicas of medieval beads and ironwork: