LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-02-05, 2:33pm

Default e cig dimentions

I am considering making some e cigarette tips, anyone know the size I need to make the end that fits into the e cigarette part? My husband has been asking me to make some for his work friends but I have never actually seen one.

Thanks Caroline
Old 2014-02-05, 2:42pm
I fart diamonds

I bought one from the shop around the corner and then promptly lost it. You can get a cheap one on Ebay so that you have a reference. This is the same as the one I bought:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261382118880

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2014-02-06, 7:16pm
I fart diamonds

So now that I've ordered a new one, I found the one I lost.

The tube part inserts into the cartomizer is 7mm diameter & approx 10mm long. Interior diameter is 5.1mm. A 3/16" mandrel is the perfect size.

Old 2014-02-06, 7:33pm

LOL Shawnette! Happens to me all the time!

Caroline - if you do a search on here for e-cigs there are a couple of threads that have pics. Di (essiemessie) started a thread to post e-cig pics and tips a couple of months ago! Also if you do a search on Etsy there are tips on there to give you an idea! BlingsBeads which is Di's Etsy sight shows some wonderful ones with lots of ideas and there are a few others. I make them too but haven't made any lately!

You can also get an idea of what to sell them for!

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions! Such as comfortable size to smoke thru. How small of hole to make (any littler than 3/16" is hard to get centered right so you don't plug up the atomizer or knock it off center!). There is also how thick you need to make the part where you insert the e-cig tip into the tank and o-ring sizes etc. You will find more questions once you start making them. There are different sized tanks that take different sized tips. My suggestion is to buy a cheap tip to give you an idea of what you are looking at. The most common one sold is called a 510.

A lot to them but once you figure it out they are rather fun.

LynieG
Old 2014-02-07, 10:34am

I found the e cig thread thank you! I also posted something on an e cig forum and they said the part that fits into the atomizer is 8.5mm and uses size 10 o rings. So that is the specs I am using to make my prototypes.
Shawnette the link you gave me is that for the tips or the part the tips go into. I think the atomizer is the part I want to make sure they fit. Thanks for all the help! I have 2 local stores that expressed interest in selling them! I would love to sell something considering how much I have sunk into this hobby!
Old 2014-02-07, 11:25am

That's great Caroline! Good luck with the stores but a word to the wise! Have them buy the tips outright for the price you want out of them. The store I had mine in I sold on commission and it didn't do so well!

LynieG
Old 2014-02-08, 4:20am

Thanks Lynie,

That is good advice, if I am selling wholesale to a store how much less do I charge them compared to what I think I could get on etsy or similar?

Caroline
Old 2014-02-08, 7:33pm

It's up to you what you want for them. My lesson from now on is I sell them for what I want/need to make a profit! Whether you sell them for the same price you get off of Etsy or a couple of dollars less (which is what I would do as they need to make a profit too!) If someone can buy the same thing off Etsy for less than what the stores sell for they will go thru Etsy. BUT I had one store ask me how many they had to order for the price to come down to $10 and I told them the price I had given them was the rock bottom I could go because it takes me as long to make one as it does to make 10 individual ones. You can only melt glass so fast after all (hope that made sense LOL) Just remember that it's going to take you longer to make them while you are still figuring them out and know that you prolly can't charge for complete labor. I finally added up how long it actually took me to make a basic simple one - about 10 - 15 min - and how long it took me to clean, grind and add the shrink wrap which was another 10 to 15 min depending on how thick I made the base and had to grind off. Of course that didn't include the annealing. All total for a really simple tip was around 20 to 30 min. but when I first started it took me what seemed like hours! (well maybe not hourS but a while anyway) Just be prepared for your learning curve!

LynieG

Last edited by LynieG; 2014-02-08 at 7:36pm.