Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-05-07, 7:36pm
Martyrs don't bitch.

Default New Vetrofond Arancio Perfecto

I just got this from Frantz and can't for the life of me get it to strike. I also go the pineapple and tangerine, love them both. But this perfect orange just isn't orange for me. Any tips?

Teague

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

< - Click for Etsy Shop
Old 2006-05-07, 7:50pm
A True Woofer

You have to let it cool almost to cracking before it will strike.

Old 2006-05-07, 9:18pm
Martyrs don't bitch.

really? I guess I'll try again tommorow. I even rolled mine on brass to cool it down, but I guess not enough.

Teague

< - Click for Etsy Shop
Old 2006-05-07, 9:59pm
Um......

Hey,
My beads turned a rich dark orange after annealing. A bit dissapointed as I LOVE the peachy color but can't keep my beads that way!
Carli
Old 2006-05-07, 11:27pm
weird

No joke. I think they should re-name it 937 Unbelievablyo Frustratingo. "Strikes on command" my ass... it would laugh in my face even if I asked it nicely.

Sarah
Old 2006-05-08, 4:11am
Cheesehead Packer lover

Glad I'm not the only one who can't get this to do anything. I got some really interesting clear beads when I first tried this. I'll try it one more time, and if it doesn't work,I'll throw it in the pile with my "fish pink"

Cherie
Sisters Beads
If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague
Old 2006-05-08, 6:00am

No you're not alone in the disappointed group. It looked almost clear to me. Then when I cooled and re heated to get it to strike I got a peach color which immediately changed back to dirty clear. Blech.
Old 2006-05-08, 6:02am
A True Woofer

I call it arancio imperfecto.

Old 2006-05-08, 9:09am
Martyrs don't bitch.

Hee hee you girls are funny. I noticed that it is really clear. mine has no scum, no bubbles and no orange.

I was amused when I saw "strikes on command" on Galaxy Glass' listing.

Teague

< - Click for Etsy Shop
Old 2006-05-08, 9:12am
Glassy Lady

I haven't tried arancio perfecto, but try this technique, it works for almost all colors, even the hard to strike ones.

Let the bead cool down thoroughly. To do this, hold the bead under your desk where it's darker. The reason for this is that you want the bead to cool until you see no glow in a darkened place. Once the bead no longer glows in the dark, strike in the back of the flame.

BHB/PANDORA EXCHANGE IN THE PATIO
Old 2006-05-08, 9:23am
odd lot addict

Well, it struck when I didn't want it to . . . when I picked up a stringer thinking it was clear.

I got streaky burnt orange when I struck it like I do the reg. striking colors.

streaky burnt orange when I worked it in a cool flame for quite a while . . .

Old 2006-05-08, 10:43am
sunscreen me baby

So it doesn't look peach when unstruck? clear? bummer. I bought some so I could get a transparant peach.

~

Old 2006-05-08, 11:08am
Martyrs don't bitch.

It might be a vague peach color, but I don't see it. It is a really nice clear though.

TEague

Ps. I'd have bought it for peach too.

< - Click for Etsy Shop
Old 2006-05-08, 11:44am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

I'm sure I have a transparent peach around here somewhere. A Lauscha color, perhaps?

Also Available in
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

Old 2006-05-08, 11:47am
Martyrs don't bitch.

I've seen a lauscha transparent peach on the supply sites before, I just haven't bitten the bullet to buy all the lauscha that I want yet.

Teague

< - Click for Etsy Shop
Old 2006-05-08, 12:19pm
sunscreen me baby

I do have the lauscha peach and it is very pretty. But you know, what if this was a different shade of peach? Wouldn't one just have to have it?
Fortunately this time I only bought 1/2 pound. Unlike the fish pink, new chardonnay, and all the other odd vetro pinks I have way too much of..

~

Old 2006-05-08, 12:39pm
Just me

I made a hollow with it the other day and got a really nice orange color with out any trouble. Then I ruined it with bad stringer scrolls (practicing those). The more I worked it the darker it got. It took me a while to get the bugger shaped so it ended up a nice even orange color, no streaks like I was hoping but overall happy with it. I think it's purty.

Old 2006-05-08, 12:46pm
A True Woofer

Originally I bought some under the name of "peach champagne" from Bill Thornton. So when I got it, I made a test bead to see this awesome new color of transparent peach. It came out yellow. Not electric yellow, just yellow. Bleah. I hadn't even tried to strike it because I didn't know it was a striking color. Then I find out its true name is perfect orange. Hah!

Old 2006-05-08, 1:01pm
sunscreen me baby

yellow. I'm guessing this will look really nice as a base for a big ol pastel bead

~

Old 2006-05-08, 1:01pm
sunscreen me baby

Maybe we should start a yankee swap with glass we don't like, lol.

~

Old 2006-05-08, 1:15pm
Crazy, but happy

Maybe this is a stupid question, but what do you guys mean by 'getting it to strike' or 'trying to strike it'? I don't know any better than that a striking color is just a color that changes once you heat it. Like a transparent red looks like beige before you heat it and after that, the tip stays transparent red. Reading your posts it sounds like you have to do something special to get the color it's supposed to be.........................

Karin

Don't hate yourself in the morning, sleep till noon.
Old 2006-05-08, 4:02pm
Martyrs don't bitch.

Some colors strike easier then others. To "strike it" you heat the the glass, let it cool and heat it again. This often happens naturally on a rod because you set it down and pick it back up again. But can be more difficult on a bead because you don't want your bead to get too cold and crack.

Teague

< - Click for Etsy Shop
Old 2006-05-09, 10:11am
GlassyGuy

Default Arancio Perfecto is really inspiring!

Here at Frantz we think the new Vetrofond Arancio Perfecto (Perfect Orange) is really pretty. Kimberly Affleck talked with us about it recently and her comment was that it took her awhile to learn how to strike it but once she figured it out she was very happy with it.

Here is what Jed, our resident glassworker from Double Helix Glass, said about Arancio Perfecto:
Quote:
It is perfect not because it strikes quickly, but because it is so clean. It takes up to five minutes to make it all strike, but quicker color can be achieved by striking a paddle a bit and twisting it to mix. This is how I got the paddles with the orange stripes. If you want homogenous transparent orange, then work hot, let cool a bit, then rotate the bead in the far reaches of the flame for a long time, being careful not to heat it so much that it becomes soft. Again, this may take a few minutes. Once the glass is hot enough to move, the copper crystals redissolve and you have clear again, so don't overheat while striking. I think the term "easy striker" is not appropriate. Regular striking colors are oversaturated and tend to become "livery" or murky when worked for long periods. Arancio Perfecto strikes cleaner than regular 072. The term "burning the orange out" is also a myth as the color does not "burn out". Rather, the copper crystals dissolve at higher temps. They are still in there, waiting for the right combination of medium temperature and time to grow, and as they grow they begin to transmit orange.

Patience, Grasshopper, the glass will strike when it has been struck, which is five minutes from now.

Jed
Here is a photo of some of the results that Jed was describing:
Old 2006-05-09, 11:20am
Martyrs don't bitch.

Thanks Mike! I was gonna e-mail you next, but hadn't gotten to it.

Teague

< - Click for Etsy Shop
Old 2006-05-09, 10:21pm
Martyrs don't bitch.

Ooh Ooh! I got it to work today. It did take forever, longer than any other color, but was kind of neat to watch the color develop.

Teague

< - Click for Etsy Shop
Old 2006-05-10, 10:05pm

Jed, what is this "patience" you speak of, and where can I buy some???