Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2008-03-24, 4:57am
boro color bender

Awesome stuff... that pink looks like butter!

Here's my latest sculptural piece.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2008-03-24, 5:28am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Brent it is awesome!!! It's almost fluid, I love the movement you've created, just beautiful

Old 2008-03-24, 6:02am

Beautiful Brent

R-118
Old 2008-03-24, 7:19am

The half heart is really cute! Nice job shaping and the color is good too!
Very cool! I absolutely love the side shot of it! It almost looks like its moving!

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2008-03-24, 10:33am
Button Queen

Well, my stuff doesn't begin to compare with what's here, but here's my little offerings. I hooked up the tanked O2 yesterday and played with my boro.

These are made with some ACME boro and misc frit.

And then I tried out some pendants. I like these OK, although the small one must have been too soft when I put it in the kiln. It has some rough spots that I may need to polish out. These were made with Twilight Chameleon and some unmarked short.

And I'm not entirely happy with these. I think I'm getting it too hot and not getting the twists even enough for my tastes. But they're a start.

Last edited by bclogan; 2008-03-24 at 10:35am.
Old 2008-03-25, 9:09pm

Beau, love the elongated beads, great color.

And Roger, the lizard & dragon are really cool!!! The little dragon looks almost alive.

Here are some simple boro beads, triple passion for the discs, two tone rolo style beads.

Old 2008-03-25, 9:41pm
Renee Weaver

Gorgeous sonya!

Old 2008-03-25, 10:13pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLabora View Post
Hi Kay,

Do you remember what is the color of this ribbon?

Sorry I didn't get back to you on this.. it slipped through the mail system somehow...

But, to be honest, I don't remember the name of the ribbon. Maybe Heidi knows if you ask her... ?

Old 2008-03-26, 3:29am

Sorry I didn't see your post the first time about Kay's necklaces. I still really like the ring!
The first picture looks like Watercolor l and the second pic looks like Happy Birthday!

Heidi

~~
~~

Last edited by Jamn!; 2008-03-26 at 3:35am.
Old 2008-03-26, 6:17am

Sonya, simple they are not! Gorgeous they are!!!

Old 2008-03-26, 7:16am

Brent, my gosh.. that is just awesome. You have so advanced beyond the bead!! It has been fun watching your progress through the years. Keep 'em comin'

and Sonja, you may think simple but there is great beauty in your simplicity!!!

Old 2008-03-27, 6:17am

Sonya Beautiful!!!!

R-118
Old 2008-03-27, 3:01pm

Thanks everyone for the compliments!

Old 2008-03-27, 3:24pm
boro color bender

The two marbles I did in the first day of the Kobuki class.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2008-03-27, 4:53pm

Wowser Brent! Those are incredible!! I love that pink... what color did you use to get that? Just fantastic!

My Non-Glass Sites:

Old 2008-03-28, 2:00am
glass-a-delic

Like always, your work is amazing!
Old 2008-03-28, 6:59am

Brent, those are awesome!!! I learned a lot from John myself but have never been able to produce anything as great as yours. I hate it when my punties come off and the marble rolls into my lap!!

Old 2008-03-28, 7:43am
Button Queen

Brent - those are wonderful!!!!
Old 2008-03-28, 8:52am

wow brent, amazing. ive been struggling with colors thinning out in implosions so you cant see the tips of wings. yours are beautiful.
ro

Gtt Mirage torch with tanked oxygen.
Old 2008-03-28, 6:32pm

Wow! Those are pretty!!

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2008-03-30, 6:01am
Love 2 Sculpt Kritters

Wowzah! Brent those are gorgeous!

Old 2008-03-30, 6:59am
Flamewoman

Beautiful marbles Brent! How long does it take to make such a piece as that? What size are they? I would love to see how that is done, say...... maybe at the class you are giving at AS in Sept? Your colors are so perfect, as usual. I am so looking forward to learning more about color at your class.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2008-03-30, 9:43am

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginkgoglass View Post
I love that cross! I have gotten three requests from shops for crosses and I am cross impaired. Please share how you do this if you don't mind.
Thank you for the compliment! I (Erin) usually am the one that gets on here and I make the beads, Steve makes the sculptures. I will ask him how he does it. He tried to explain it to me and I got lost. I am more of an instant gratification girl and that is why I love the beads! Quick and easy. He doesn't mind spending an hour on one piece. I kind of recall him saying he uses two continuous pieces and fuses them at the center and then works on one stretch at a time using punties...
Old 2008-03-30, 9:53am

Quote:
Originally Posted by e. mort View Post
I make crosses also and they sell ok, but I have found that a lot of people want me to make them smaller. Most of the ones I make are are 2 to 3 inchs tall. I am afraid that if I make them smaller they won't be strong enough, and people won't want to pay very much. What do you think?

Beautiful cross by the way. Mine are just usually make with a ribbon cane or solid rod.
I have had one cross listed in my store for a couple of months and it doesn't get as much attention as I thought it would. I have it listed for about $40. I did get a custom order from a woman who does wire wrapping and she wanted one without a bail and she loved it. It was 3 inches. Steve has made several and given them away to family members and they were a bit smaller, but still about 2 inches. Much smaller and it would be less durable because now the stems would be thinner and I would be weary to sell it. Plus, according to Steve, it is more challenging to keep straight in the flame. The beads and hearts do much better, so probably won't make a bunch of them.
Old 2008-03-30, 9:57am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcoles View Post
Steve, that's a lovely cross! Superb!
Don, those are really great vessels!
Ed, gorgeous beads! Love those colors.

Decided that I wanted to make some arrowheads. Made a few before consulting my resident "pro" (DH)...guess he thought I wasn't quite getting it right. So, he brought over one of his real ones for my model. The shape definitely improved!

Here are the first ones...

This one came out pretty realistic, I think anyway.

First time using my lap grinder, I think I have more buffing to do AND I need to get the holes cleaned out better from the grinder mess! OOps!

Thanks Heidi!

Love the arrowheads, I had a request a while back for one and had a heck of a time coming up with a realistic design, I was trying to pull off the chisled look and it was not coming out as I visioned!
Old 2008-03-30, 12:05pm
boro color bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary K View Post
Beautiful marbles Brent! How long does it take to make such a piece as that? What size are they? I would love to see how that is done, say...... maybe at the class you are giving at AS in Sept? Your colors are so perfect, as usual. I am so looking forward to learning more about color at your class.
They are about 1.3" or so... Didn't time myself, so I don't know how long they took. I generally just work on a piece until it's done... don't own a watch with a good battery in it and no clock in the studio. I'll teach my style implosions for sure. The red one is a recipe that Kobuki gave us in class, so I won't be teaching that or his flower designs. His specific techs are his to teach. Out of respect.

Old 2008-03-31, 9:39am
Flamewoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post
They are about 1.3" or so... Didn't time myself, so I don't know how long they took. I generally just work on a piece until it's done... don't own a watch with a good battery in it and no clock in the studio. I'll teach my style implosions for sure. The red one is a recipe that Kobuki gave us in class, so I won't be teaching that or his flower designs. His specific techs are his to teach. Out of respect.
What was I thinking? Sorry!

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!