Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2008-08-25, 2:24pm
Hummel factory reject

Default Tiki Time!

I'm nudging our fellow boro-ho Nagi to post some of the work she and her husband Tim have been doing in their "laboratory". Tim is a blacksmith and you were treated to a taste of his work in the August show and tell thread. They recently exhibited Tim's work at a Tiki Trade show. I know we would all love to see what they have been working on so I'm hoping Nagi will indulge us

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-08-25, 2:42pm
Serenity Now!

Oh yes! Please...C'mon, NN - show us (Hi Kiko! )

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2008-08-25, 3:31pm
Hummel factory reject

Hey Val!!! x.x.

Old 2008-08-25, 5:26pm
yukue fumei

LOL!! Thanks Lori
OKay! I am at work right now but when I get home I will post something...
we don't have anything from our neon adventures yet, but Tikis...we got tikis

nagi

Old 2008-08-25, 5:51pm
Hummel factory reject

Bring it!

Old 2008-08-25, 7:38pm
Corgi Cult Member

Can't wait!!

Old 2008-08-26, 4:23am
yukue fumei

First, a bit of imageery from Tiki Oasis.....
This was the decorations just outside our hotel room

this was the lobby area just in front of their restaurant. The food was not so good--dunno why tiki restaurants seem not to have the best food....well, except for Kona restaurant in Huntington Beach

The sun and fun--Oasis peeps enjoying drinks and shopping at poolside

some of the talks going on

nagi

Old 2008-08-26, 4:27am
yukue fumei

Some of the nighttime activities got a bit risque. This is the tattooed burlesque dancer. Later she got down to tasseled pasties....there were 2 year olds in the crowd....we were disturbed by the contrast and took off, but I guess for them it was status quo...

lots of tikis everywhere
hey, what's that sign?

nagi

Old 2008-08-26, 4:44am
yukue fumei

setting up:

and the crowd...but we didn't see much buying except for clothes....

a tiki guide came by with a tour for kids

a guy in an impossibly pink shirt came by. This shirt is going to be in a book(forget what the book was called) but it is an original from the 70's...dunno what they put in it to make it so loud and bright after all these years....

nagi

Old 2008-08-26, 4:51am
yukue fumei

and then.... and then.....it's the DH!!!
Tiki-Smith!!

I should note here that he designed and constructed the entire setup from scratch. He built the stands, desk and sign. All within a couple of days. It was pretty amazing to see how fast he turn a sketch into reality.....
I don't know if you can see, but we had postcards

and tikis! The mesh was hard to see around(we had discussed this before we went but he felt it would be okay. I think there isn't enough contrast between the bg and the tikis....)

and this was our neighbor's booth....kind of a big contrast....

nagi

Last edited by nagibeads; 2008-08-26 at 5:00am.
Old 2008-08-26, 4:54am
yukue fumei

We had shirts for $15
They are Dh's original design. I like the brown shirt and so we had a bet that if people bought more of them he had to take me out to dinner....heehee...I won

he had sconces:

nagi

Old 2008-08-26, 4:56am
yukue fumei

here is a close up of a tiki. I will post more pics of tikis when DH wakes up....he took some really cool shots of them and they look better than this setup

nagi

Old 2008-08-26, 5:21am

Wow Nagi - what fun!

Sals
Old 2008-08-26, 5:33am
yukue fumei

thanks Sals!
it was alot of fun--a definite party atmosphere
lots of drinks with umbrellas!! I wished they had roasted pineapple on a stick. they are sooo good!

nagi

Old 2008-08-26, 5:46am
Dead man walking

Wow, love his Tikis nagi, totally agree on the background, you lose all the fine detail and only catch the outline.
Old 2008-08-26, 6:01am
Hummel factory reject

Tim's work is amazing and he did an incredible job on his booth! His tiki's are so sophisticated. Too bad they didn't have higher standards for the other exhibitors booths? Tim's "Tiki Smith" icon is spot on. Is that a self portrait? Gorgeous work!!!! Are you going to create a website to sell his tiki's? Wow!

Old 2008-08-26, 6:39am
yukue fumei

Thanks Lori and jj!
Tim is very sleepy but says hi and thank you too
Tim has a website, but it is "under construction" LOL!
www.tiki-smith.com
I think the Easter Island guy really looks like him, but should have had a moustache Everyone we've shown the sign to sees it but him LOL!!

I think for next time we are thinking about creating more of a space--with a canopy or something so we can actually light the sconces. Not sure if we would go back to the Tiki Oasis but for when we do actually do another show....

Anyhoo, here are some of the new pics of his work:

nagi

Old 2008-08-26, 7:12am
yukue fumei

technically there are no blacksmithed items but eventually he will be posting them....I used to have them posted on my site, but since they changed servers, the gallery is down
I am looking through all my files but can't find them....gotta organize things better....
but here is a Tiki bar he built when I worked on Surf's Up. IT has a shark's tooth bottle opener and the coconuts up top are lightup tiki torches. The top is a surfboard with the end bit off by a shark LOL!

nagi

Old 2008-08-26, 2:39pm
Serenity Now!

Fabulous!

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2008-08-26, 3:10pm

Man, that looks like fun. I like those sconces especially.
My Etsy

SRA
#H135
Old 2008-08-26, 3:36pm
daughter and I

OMG I love them. I will anxiously await the web site to get done cause I'm buying one for my husband. We live on the beach on the east coast and we had a palm -topped off by a not-named hurricane many years ago- carved into a Tiki to ward away hurricanes. We decorate him somtimes for different holidays but I'd love one for the front and maybe back porch.

Seaside Fire Designs

Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just swish and spit.
Old 2008-08-26, 3:49pm
Hummel factory reject

Yes! I need a Kukana for the front door and the kahuna sconce for the dining room.

Old 2008-08-26, 4:48pm

O.M.T.G.!! (that's Oh My TIKI God!!) These are SO FABULOUS! Reminds me of the Tiki Taxi project I saw on-line once... and the Tiki bar we set up in the Tiki Lounge at the Oregon Country Fair (with the bicycle-powered blender, Belinda!) This totally makes me thirsty for a Sniki Tiki -- that's a Zombie disguised as a Mai Tai, lol! See, I knew you guys were members of the lost tribe of Retronesia! Now I REALLY wanna buy you a drink.
~Jenny but my Tiki name is Kini.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2008-08-26, 4:51pm
yukue fumei

thanks so much for all your kind words--I think Tim will be overwhelmed when he reads them
Woohooo! If you would like to order a tiki or sconce, we would be overjoyed! please email him at info@tiki-smith.com or PM me for details...

I wonder if Tim would do a jig of joy?

nagi

Old 2008-08-26, 4:53pm
yukue fumei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand Beads View Post
O.M.T.G.!! (that's Oh My TIKI God!!) These are SO FABULOUS! Reminds me of the Tiki Taxi project I saw on-line once... and the Tiki bar we set up in the Tiki Lounge at the Oregon Country Fair (with the bicycle-powered blender, Belinda!) This totally makes me thirsty for a Sniki Tiki -- that's a Zombie disguised as a Mai Tai, lol! See, I knew you guys were members of the lost tribe of Retronesia! Now I REALLY wanna buy you a drink.
~Jenny but my Tiki name is Kini.
Jenny I am calling you Kini from now on!

nagi

Old 2008-08-26, 7:54pm
Corgi Cult Member

Denise, those are FANTASTIC!!!! What talent!!! Hum..... Where did I leave my Maitai?

Old 2008-08-27, 1:49pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

wow that looks like a lot of fun! Can you please tell me more about tiki's , what are they for ( to scare off bad gosts or something would be my guess). I love how they look!

Old 2008-08-27, 6:17pm
yukue fumei

thanks Kathy and Suzanne!

Suzanne--tikis are kinda like Polynesian totems. They have different characters with different powers. Some are helpful and others like to cause trouble
I should ask Tim to join LE so he can answer better

nagi

Old 2008-08-27, 11:17pm
Corgi Cult Member

Oh no, imagine what trouble a pesky tiki could get into in the glass studio! Hope you only make the helpful ones out of glass and leave the trouble makers to your husband. He can keep them in line with an iron rod!!

Old 2008-08-27, 11:39pm
Beyond Cloud 9!

Oh, those sconces are so cool. The whole setup!! Congrats to your hubby for doing such a great job!!