LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-05-19, 6:10pm

Unhappy Graphite marver leaving black streaks?

I'm having a problem when I use graphite marvers on clear-encased beads- I'm getting black streaks/swirls in the clear layer. it's only happening when I use a graphite marver. I've tried wiping them off with a soft cloth but I'm still getting the marks. In a darker bead it's not as much of a problem but it has ruined some of my most recent beads. Can anyone help?
Old 2014-05-19, 7:15pm

Have you scrubbed it really well with soap and water until it stops marking the cloth? Then rub it down with a coffee filter and rubbing alcohol ? I had to do that with mine to stop them from marking up my glass
Old 2014-05-19, 7:26pm
Beads Beads Glass

can you post a photo? what kind of glass are you using? some glass is more sensitive to graphite than others. and what brand/maker is the tool? I had some homemade tools that were low quality graphite and would muck up my light beads, I have also been told that sometimes it can also be your fuel/gas Oxi mix? reacting with the glass but I don't know much about that I am on a odd set up.

Actions, even desperately stupid ones, have consequences

working on new blog
Old 2014-05-23, 9:41am
Glass-aholic

I've never had this issue. Do you have a residue on your paddle that comes off on your finger? It could be a different issue all together. Sounds more like You are burning the clear and over working it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:

Last edited by jaci; 2014-05-23 at 9:45am.
Old 2014-05-24, 5:23am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaWalsh View Post
Then rub it down with a coffee filter and rubbing alcohol
(Careful, graphite is porous so I don't recommend using anything but water)

I agree, it is more than likely a reaction of the flame with the specific clear. Try using less propane and/or a higher quality of clear to see if that solves the issue.

-D

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-