Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-06-04, 9:45am
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

Joe, you got a nice range of colors on the white!
I bought some of the size 3 frit from Frantz 2 weeks ago.
Haven't tested it yet though to see the difference to z-99.

Etsy Vintage shop
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Webpage ->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-06-04, 10:16am
Cat herder

Judith - Thanks. I was just playing, and I think I was working it like you would Raku. I bought it because it looked pretty hanging on Frantz's wall.

No fancy signature yet.
Old 2011-06-04, 10:34am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by afina View Post
Reichenbach doesn't sell COE 104 frit. The COE 104 is only available as rods or so called "Fritte" in German, but it is not frit in one size but as if you mixed chunks, frit and powders of different sizes.
Olympic Color Rods sells Reichenbach 104 frits by size: http://www.glasscolor.com/lampworkin...aque_cane.aspx

I have three or four colors.

Old 2011-06-04, 9:31pm
><>

Anybody gonna' splain where to get this glass?
I looked at Frantz and there was no such frit to be found.
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." Thomas Mann
Old 2011-06-04, 9:41pm
Cat herder

Call Frantz. I actually got it by walking into their store. I haven't seen it on their website.

No fancy signature yet.
Old 2011-06-04, 9:52pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

Yes - I got it also in their store.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2011-06-04, 9:58pm
MacGalver

The Reichenbach color is very pretty, but it looks to me like a pretty far cry from what Z-99 can do.....

Jo

Old 2011-06-05, 2:31am

Kalera and Lara, this is very interesting! Maybe they sieve it themselves? Because I tried to buy frit from the Reichenbach factory and they told me they didn't sell it in special sizes, just mixed.

Fritblends in COE 104:
Old 2011-06-05, 4:12am

Verena, I was told the same a few month ago.
Coe 94-96 frit in different sizes available, Coe 104 frit not available in selected sizes.

Kathrin
Old 2011-06-05, 6:53am
Lampworkaholic!

Does Frantz have the Zimmermann or Reichenbach Purple Rose? The labels have 99 in the number.

I bought some Purple Rose Powder from Frantz earlier this year. It was labeled Kugler on the website but I know Kugler does not make a Purple Rose. My invoice says "Purple Rose Special" but the powder itself is simply labeled "Purple."

It looks (and works) the same as the Zimmermann in my opinion. Would love to know for certain what it is ...

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox

Last edited by Elizabeth Beads; 2011-06-06 at 10:05am.
Old 2011-06-05, 7:05am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by afina View Post
Kalera and Lara, this is very interesting! Maybe they sieve it themselves? Because I tried to buy frit from the Reichenbach factory and they told me they didn't sell it in special sizes, just mixed.
OCR may size it themselves... I don't know.

Old 2011-06-05, 8:52am

I don't know either, sure is possible.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2011-06-06, 6:17pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEK3 View Post
I picked up some chunks of Purple Rose at Frantz several months back. Here it is over white (just stuck three chunks on a small bead) (sorry about the crappy cell phone pics) :

Surely that is the best signature of all...LMAO!!

leebeads.etsy.com, leebeads.artfire.com
Old 2011-06-14, 7:27pm
Lampworkaholic!

Looks promising ... now I have to see how it works up.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox

Last edited by Elizabeth Beads; 2011-06-15 at 4:19pm.
Old 2011-06-14, 11:26pm

Arggg..I have bought Z-99 from 6 or 8 diff people.I have 2 of those Frantz bottles that Joe and Judith are showing and I had a bag labeled Z-99 frit..same size..exact same color.I think Mikes is the real Z-99.I have a bottle of powder..same thing..from Frantz.I have a labeled bag of Z-99 powder from Europe..same color.I have chunks from a furnace rod..its 2 toned..just like the big frit.At this point..I am beginning to think..who cares? lol.Its a beautiful color but what makes that particular Zimmermann color the most elusive color that idiots like me keep looking for it when I have a bazillion other Zimmermann colors?I have even bought any Kuglar color to try to mix up something close to it.I'd never try to pass it off as Zimmermann but why am I on this silly mission when there are so many beautiful ones I can play with that aren't Z-99?Its just me..you super beadmakers have your reasons..its a lovely color. I am what I consider to be a newbie/consumer/collector and don't know the answers I am speaking for myself only..hope you all know that.
"

Old 2011-06-15, 6:35am
Lampworkaholic!

People (myself included) want whatever they can't have. It's human nature.

That said, Z-99 is gorgeous. I make simple sets with Z-99 and Opal Yellow or Z-99 with Raku and other color-shifting frits over Opal Yellow or Silver Pink. Those sets sell really well.

Old 2011-06-15, 7:27am

Lol..Erose..I know you are right..and it's a beautiful color.So..I guess that means wanting what we can't have..Johhny Depp won't be stopping by my house anytime soon?
"

Old 2011-06-15, 10:33am
Lampworkaholic!

Not unless Johnny stops by my house first.

Old 2011-06-15, 10:36am

Ha! Alphabetically D comes before E..lol
"

Old 2011-06-15, 12:06pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rareripes View Post
Arggg..I have bought Z-99 from 6 or 8 diff people.I have 2 of those Frantz bottles that Joe and Judith are showing and I had a bag labeled Z-99 frit..same size..exact same color.I think Mikes is the real Z-99.I have a bottle of powder..same thing..from Frantz.I have a labeled bag of Z-99 powder from Europe..same color.I have chunks from a furnace rod..its 2 toned..just like the big frit.At this point..I am beginning to think..who cares? lol.Its a beautiful color but what makes that particular Zimmermann color the most elusive color that idiots like me keep looking for it when I have a bazillion other Zimmermann colors?I have even bought any Kuglar color to try to mix up something close to it.I'd never try to pass it off as Zimmermann but why am I on this silly mission when there are so many beautiful ones I can play with that aren't Z-99?Its just me..you super beadmakers have your reasons..its a lovely color. I am what I consider to be a newbie/consumer/collector and don't know the answers I am speaking for myself only..hope you all know that.
I have been using Z-99 for years and years, and it has a fairly unique look/reaction that makes it indispensable for many of my designs... and since I live off my bead sales, that's a big deal! Once it's gone, it's gone, and the bead designs that need it will be gone too.

Old 2011-06-15, 4:35pm
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Ha! Alphabetically D comes before E..lol
I'm changing my name to Arose!

Old 2011-06-15, 6:04pm

Kalera..I totally love your beads and understand.I am hoping for a Zimmermann orange yellow movement..but that probably won't be happening
Hmm..Arose..well I guess you win Beth..lol..I will have to hope for Harrison ford then..lol...
"

Old 2011-06-16, 11:11am

Very pretty.

Minor
Old 2011-06-16, 12:02pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Kalera..I totally love your beads and understand.I am hoping for a Zimmermann orange yellow movement..but that probably won't be happening
Hmm..Arose..well I guess you win Beth..lol..I will have to hope for Harrison ford then..lol...
I adore orange... is the Zimmerman orange/yellow very nice? Not that I need more frit! But if it's that awesome creamy texture I could work it into organics nicely.

Old 2011-06-17, 4:52am

Kalera..I love the yellow orange! It is totally vibrant!Actually..I didn't get the frit.I bought the cane.Do not go by the website as far as what they have..call Mark or Lexie directly.You'd be surprised at what they have more or less than what the site says.There are no more orange or yellow rods..I didn't ask about the frit..but all the Z's just melt wonderfully! Good luck!
"

Old 2011-07-06, 7:40pm

I wrote a blog post about Z99 vs R733.

http://lutrick.blogspot.com/2011/07/...-rose-new.html

Photo below with Z99 on the Left and R733 on the left.
Attached Images

Old 2011-07-06, 10:11pm
I'm a lilac!

Definitely different... but the R733 looks like potentially a good close substitute.

Old 2011-07-07, 5:18am

Very pretty,Lara! I love the press too.Yes..a bit different..not a lot off.I have tried matching with Kugler colors but have not been able to exactly.I think for me..z-99 is a beautiful color and to have some really close substitute is great but also the fact that having a glass that will never be made again makes me want to just hold onto my z-99 as long as possible.I am hesitant to use even a little sprinkle of it..lol..probably silly..right?I do have lots of other Zimmermann that I do and will use but that z-99 is totally special.
"

Old 2011-07-07, 2:25pm
Triumphantly Knit!

Great beads Lara. I got some r733 and then first thing I did was use my peace sign press so I laughed when I saw yours. I haven't perfected the press so I didn't get the whole p-sign but I did get the deeper darker purple colour.
I loved the meltiness of the r733. I used it for a bead and it did devit. I just ordered some more because of the gorgeous deep purple colour.

It's not the same as z99 but it is good

namaste

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
Old 2011-07-07, 6:04pm

Thanks guys!