Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Beads of Courage > Beads of Courage

Beads of Courage -- Discussion for all things Beads of Courage; the only not-for-profit, arts-in-medicine program putting to use the talents of glass beadmakers to uplift children dealing with life threatening illnesses, their families and the people who care for them. Families, clinicians and artists alike are welcome to join in! (Thank you to Lampwork Etc. for supporting Beads of Courage and helping to foster communication!) PHOTOS OF INDIVIDUALS OR CHILDREN ONLY ALLOWED WITH THEIR SPECIFIC CONSENT.

Old 2011-11-06, 7:24am

Default Questions for first donation please

Hi,

I have read the "how to" and am going to fill out the bead donation form but I have a couple of questions please.

I am cleaning out my studio and have been holding onto pounds and pounds of beads for a long time. I make alot of hearts for a jewelry designer on the East Coast so there are LOTS of hearts that I have been holding onto because they don't meet the specs as far as size and shape. I would like to do something "useful" with them and have been wanting to donate to Beads of Courage for quite awhile. I am going across the border this week to pick up some supplies and ship out a couple of orders so I can ship the package from Michigan.

Do I really have to count them? (There is ALOT and at this time of year I am REALLY short on time)

Is there a weight limit on flat rate shipping packages?

Do I have to "string" them on something? (again a time issue)

I don't need a "receipt of donation" (other than knowing you get them) as I cannot claim a "donation" to a USA charity.

Thanks
Cheryl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-11-06, 7:38am
Lampworkaholic!

Weight restrictions for domestic U.S. Express Mail and Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelopes and Boxes are 70 pounds.

You can estimate the number of beads for BOC. Why not weigh a representative 8 oz. or so and then multiply by the number of lbs. you have (x2 obviously if you use 8 oz.).

Alternatively, you can send a note saying no receipt needed and don't bother to count the beads at all.

You do not have to string them. I put mine in bubble wrap bags inside the flat rate box. If there is some breakage the beads were probably not suitable for the kids anyway.

I will individually wrap nice beads with raised details as BOC will use the beads that aren't right for the kids in other ways, fundraisers and parent activities for instance.

Hope this helps.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-11-06, 8:04am

Thanks erose!

Old 2011-11-07, 5:02pm

Also they prefer 3/32 mandrel holes (slightly smaller are ok). Beads should be properly annealed and cleaned with no sharp edges and no exposed silver glass. I probably should be more specific but I can't recall ALL the guidelines from the top of my head right now-- I guess I'm not perfect this evening
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Also, BOC head quarters will send you a receipt that you can use for tax deductions.

Duane

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2011-11-07, 5:42pm

For all of the details check the Bead Donations Guidelines sticky at the upper part of the page.
Thanks for all you do for Beads of Courage!

Robert
Old 2011-11-08, 9:59pm

Default First Donation

Thanks for the info Duane. I've read all the appropriate pages and I think I've got it all down.

Unfortunately, I cannot use a "donation" tax receipt because I am in Canada and BOC is a USA charity ... but it's not about me ... it's about the kids
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ok, I'm ready ... waiting for the "hoarder tv crew" to show up on my doorstep - I can't believe I have held onto all these beads LOL

Curiosity got the better of me so I did a rough count. Tried to take out all the metal and silver glass beads (I guess they'll go in the flower pots) and this is what I've got.

At least 320 hearts and at least 800 miscellaneous beads for a total of over 1,120 beads including a few "jewelry projects" like a "charm bracelet" and "earrings". I know there is a few more hearts mixed in the "miscellaneous bag". According to my scale ... it is 12 LBS

Here's some pics of what's coming ... REALLY hope you can make use of them.

Cheryl

Last edited by Dreamscapes Studio; 2011-11-09 at 5:11am.
Old 2011-11-09, 6:05am
Loving learning

Wow, that's wonderful! Very nice addition to the cause (and whatever they can't use for the kids, if anything, they can use in other ways to benefit the kids & program)
Old 2011-11-09, 6:17am

"If Anything" ???

Old 2011-11-09, 6:26am
Lampworkaholic!

BOC can use silver glass beads in fundraisers and adult programs, just send them in a separate bag with a label that they are silver glass. I know this because I asked a while back.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-11-09, 6:46am

That is a fantastic donation! It will make a lot of kids and families very happy.
Thank you for thinking of us.

Robert
Old 2011-11-12, 6:20am

These beads have been shipped.

Robert - I sent you a PM with the tracking #

I'm glad I made this promise when I did ... I was showing a shop owner friend the beads before I shipped them and she REALLY wanted them to sell in her store ... LOL

Thanks for the helpful info everyone!

Cheryl

Old 2012-01-30, 8:48pm

Hello Cheryl,
My name is Victoria Plouffe and I serve as the Executive Director of Beads of Courage Canada. I wanted to let you know we are thrilled that the first Canadian Beads of Courage sites officially launched in January 2012. We are excited to bring this innovative arts-in-medicine program to our Canadian children.

Donatiions for Canadian children can be mailed to:
Beads of Courage Canada
3119-35th Avenue SW
Calgary, Alberta
T3E 0Z8

With gratitude,
Victoria and BOC Canada
Old 2012-02-02, 12:31pm
Eight Miles Wide

Cheryl, that is so awesome!

Old 2012-02-07, 4:50pm

Thank you Melissa
... it sure did my "heart" good

Cheryl

Old 2012-02-13, 7:23pm

Quote:
Hello Cheryl,
My name is Victoria Plouffe and I serve as the Executive Director of Beads of Courage Canada. I wanted to let you know we are thrilled that the first Canadian Beads of Courage sites officially launched in January 2012. We are excited to bring this innovative arts-in-medicine program to our Canadian children.

Donatiions for Canadian children can be mailed to:
Beads of Courage Canada
3119-35th Avenue SW
Calgary, Alberta
T3E 0Z8

With gratitude,
Victoria and BOC Canada
This is awesome! Is there a web site to learn more about the Canadian BOC?

Sue

Old 2012-02-14, 6:38am

Quote:
This is awesome! Is there a web site to learn more about the Canadian BOC?

Sue
Go to the main BoC site for hospitals:

The programs in Canada are on the right at the lower end of the page under International Hospitals.

Robert
Old 2012-02-14, 4:14pm

Thank you!