TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2018-10-09, 6:56pm

Default HELP!! Beads are Darker than glass rods.

Hello,

I posted in another room but dont think it was the correct place. I am looking for some help. I am doing some glass beads with Devardi Glass COE 90 and they are just all real dark. Light blue looks almost black. I have used other glass and did not have this issue. Is it the glass? Of am i doing something wrong now. I am using the same rig Propane and oxy. and a blanket and batch fire with a kiln.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks !

Sean
Old 2018-10-09, 8:14pm
Slogan Challenged...

I don't know about Devardi 90, but a lot of 96 is quite dark and needs to be mixed with clear or used over a lighter base. I assume yu are talking about transparents?

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Last edited by KJohn; 2018-10-10 at 2:18am.
Old 2018-10-09, 8:37pm
dances with ideas...

I don’t know devardi but If you have similar colors, does the same thing happen? Light transparents turning super dark?

Old 2018-10-09, 9:14pm
Loving learning

I didn't know they even made 90, thought it was all 104.
Are you working the same place in the flame as usual, working in a neutral flame, etc?
Can you show us a photo of the rods and the beads?
Old 2018-10-10, 8:49am

Thank you for responding

Yea. This is the first time I have used this glass. I tried lastnight trying to strike it at different flame mixtures and got some color back but still very grey and dark. What glass is the best for color on the rod is the color you get ? This is relly frustrating when you spend time and it looks so dark. Can anyone recommend good glass that you dont have to strike every time. I really can't see the advantage of using this glass.

Thank you !

Sean

Last edited by SeanSammon; 2018-10-10 at 11:03am.
Old 2018-10-10, 11:44am
Slogan Challenged...

What kind of torch are you using. It actually sounds like you may be burning or sooting it. In which case, you will get the dark & grey with any type of glass. It needs to be away from the torch head, and a neutral flame.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2018-10-10, 2:01pm

I have some pictures of some quick sample beads. The one that is really dark was a light grey and black. I have been using the same torch for a year or so. I may be doing something different. or wrong for that matter. I tried to do a sample bead away from the torch head and still got a off color bead.

I have uploaded some samples of my tourch and some quick sample beads.

Thanks for the help!

Sean
Attached Images

Last edited by SeanSammon; 2018-10-10 at 2:13pm.
Old 2018-10-10, 2:39pm

Wait a minute. You said something that made me think. I have been using my secondary torch to make the beads as before I was using the main torch head. I just went and made a couple beads and it looks much better with the big torch. Why would that be? Thanks for the input. I think you are correct about the soot. That is wierd. I am going to make a few more test beads and see how they look.
Old 2018-10-10, 4:59pm

You may need to clean the ports on the top torch. Do the candles look normal, or are you seeing extra propane on that torch? You may have an issue with oxygen delivery if your flame is reducing.
Old 2018-10-10, 8:05pm
Phill

Also if I get too excited I tend to pull the bead in too close to the torch face where the fuel has not burned up yet and I get soot on the glass.

Took me a some months to break that habit ( and I still have trouble with sometimes).

Someone told me Anise White was really good at showing soot so I had thought I would use it to check for a neutral mix of fuel and oxygen.
Then I could tweak the mix one way or the other to get an oxidizing or reducing flame..
I have not gotten any yet to play with but it's an idea.

Devardi is known to be a less expensive glass and you may well find that the batch of any one color you have right now could behave very different from the next batch you get, so that could be adding to your troubles too.
Old 2018-10-11, 8:19pm
dances with ideas...

I could be missing something, but I don’t think of blue or green glasses as striking. The ones I am aware of that strike are in the red, orange, yellow zone or silver glasses such as some that DH makes. Just throwing this thought out there in case there is a buried clue...