Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-10-25, 11:26am

Default fading color

I do not live in the US and buy my supplies from the US. We have no local supplier so experimenting with variour brands is not so easy.
Some one may have asked this before but I cant find it so please can someone tell me what is their favourite glass that does not fade badly when pulled thin. I am trying to make flowers for encasement and flameworked items for encasement to make ppw. I am working in soft glass coe 104 . I am thinking opaque is better than transparent. What do you think?
Thanks
Franklin
Old 2012-10-25, 11:30am
J R Hooper

Cobalt blue will hold it's color really well when pulled thin, aquamarine, most of the greens, and ambers but that's about it for transparents, opaques I've found that Coral Orange and Sulphur Yellow are the only reds and yellows that will show their color on a tiny scale, most blues and greens are fine. I make miniature marbles, around 2mm, so answering this question this was a lifelong quest of mine lol.
Old 2012-10-25, 11:37am
Wonder-wench

Intense black holds the color pretty well when pulled thin (way better than Effetre black)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-10-25, 11:45am

Wow, this is a fantastic board. I got replies. Thank you all.
Can you also tell me the brand of glass you refer to , unless its for most of the 104 glass. Glad you understand. Imagine making a nice flower with tiny stamens and it just disapears when it cools down.
Franklin
Old 2012-10-25, 11:59am

Wait a minute JR, did you say 2mm. That is almost impossible. No wonder you need to get colors that dont fade. Your web site does not show the size easily. Good looking small marbles.
How about a brown and white.
What you think? impossible?
Franklin
Old 2012-10-25, 12:06pm

JR - Where can we see your mini marbles? That sounds very cool!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-10-25, 12:25pm
J R Hooper

I used to sell mostly on Ebay, but man oh man, that place is a hostile environment anymore. I've switched to mostly Etsy now but I still keep a few listings going on Ebay just to say I did it lol. My id on etsy is jrhooper and my id on ebay is miniaturemarbles.
Actually brown and white work pretty well, there's several shades of brown though, and I've found the lighter colors will fade a bit compared to the darker browns.
I think it has to do more with refraction or reflection on smaller scales, there just isn't enough red in red to show red if that makes any sense. I've found one red that holds up well and I have no idea where it came from but a friend of mine told me it looked like an opalino and my jaw dropped, I detest opalinos lol.
Old 2012-10-25, 12:30pm
J R Hooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsankar View Post
Wait a minute JR, did you say 2mm. That is almost impossible. No wonder you need to get colors that dont fade. Your web site does not show the size easily. Good looking small marbles.
How about a brown and white.
What you think? impossible?
Franklin
I used to do some reticellos, implosions, and florals in that size, but I just don't have the steady hands that I used to. Getting older, wiser, but older lol.
Old 2012-10-25, 3:13pm

J R - your marbles are incredible!

Georgia
Old 2012-10-25, 4:39pm
J R Hooper

Thank you! I really enjoy working on that tiny scale, it's tedious but the miniatures are pretty neat.
Old 2012-10-25, 5:45pm
Wonder-wench

Effetre/Moretti makes the Intense Black 066.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmorphousDesigns View Post
Intense black holds the color pretty well when pulled thin (way better than Effetre black)

Old 2012-10-25, 8:49pm
I speak Murrini!

Oh, cute itty-bitty marbles JR! Hope you find what you are looking for Franklin! I've had the same challenge working very small stamens. I've found encasing two strong colors, such a s a yellow encased in a red, can help to hold the color...

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2012-10-26, 3:46am
offically down under

My favorite stamen cane is effetre is red brown, encased in clear, stripes of opaque yellow, melted in and then encase in clear. I work small so I like to pull the cane fairy thin (about 3mm) I do not cut the cane. Sometimes I pull points and sometimes I just shove it in and then snip it with my cutters after the cane cools. Then I cap it with a dot of clear.
Attached Images

Old 2012-10-26, 8:06am
SCIENCE Teacher!

You want to consider the COE 96 glass. There is huge color selection and some are very saturated as they were developed for glass blowers, who work very large compared to beads. You might be able to post int he garage sale forum and ask if someone would be able to sell you a selection to play with.
Old 2012-10-26, 8:31am

Thanks DeAnne and Tammy. I am hoping that I can use some of your small bead techniques. I use 104 as the nearest match to the clear I use for encasing. I get away with some stress because its a ppw. 96 is too far.
At this stage I am still lerarning what works with what so maybe I would have to switch later to 96.
Just to show you what I want to do I hope the pic is attached. I am trying to make the stamen a bit more realistic by replacing the dotted blob with fine stamens. Sorry not too good with the skill level. Need to practice much more.
Franklin
Attached Images

Last edited by fsankar; 2012-10-26 at 8:35am.
Old 2012-10-26, 9:57am

Nice work Franklin! Haven't seen you around for a while. I only work Boro in the torch so I won't be much help with this

Larry
Old 2012-10-26, 10:14am

Thanks Larry. I see you on facebook and it looks like you are on a roll with your nice wimsy marbles.
Working small is interesting. When its hot I see the thread thin glass but when it cools they all disapear. I am thinking about encasing white with the transparent color recommended in this thread.
This thread also caused me to think a bit wild. So here goes. I only have some effetre colors to play with and lots of Gabbert white as the base, then encase with Schott. Maybe not gabbert white.
Franklin

Last edited by fsankar; 2012-10-27 at 5:09am.
Old 2012-10-26, 11:34am

JR said Opalino fades so I assume the pastels does the same.
Which yellow and red has sulphur? Hard to tell from looking.
Tammy, did you find it better to have a red brown underlay rather than a clear underlay with the yellow on the outside??
Franklin

Last edited by fsankar; 2012-10-26 at 11:36am.
Old 2012-10-26, 2:55pm
offically down under

Quote:
JR said Opalino fades so I assume the pastels does the same.
Which yellow and red has sulphur? Hard to tell from looking.
Tammy, did you find it better to have a red brown underlay rather than a clear underlay with the yellow on the outside??
Franklin
I was looking at flowers for inspiration and realized that many of them had a dark center and yellow stamen. It's the clear encasement that makes them pop more.

Old 2012-10-26, 3:12pm
J R Hooper

Quote:
Thanks DeAnne and Tammy. I am hoping that I can use some of your small bead techniques. I use 104 as the nearest match to the clear I use for encasing. I get away with some stress because its a ppw. 96 is too far.
At this stage I am still lerarning what works with what so maybe I would have to switch later to 96.
Just to show you what I want to do I hope the pic is attached. I am trying to make the stamen a bit more realistic by replacing the dotted blob with fine stamens. Sorry not too good with the skill level. Need to practice much more.
Franklin
That's an awesome looking flower, I'm glad there's other 104 fans here
Old 2012-10-27, 5:07am

Foster fire ,I made a mistake. Schott is nearer to the effetre and spectrum 96 nearer to the FHC. Anyone remember what glass Paul Stankard uses?
Franklin
Old 2012-10-29, 3:33pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

JR, I just checked out your Etsy site. You... Are... INSANE!

I have no words to describe what I'm thinking about your marbles right now, but it certainly looks like you've lost a few upstairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesnbec73 View Post
I used to sell mostly on Ebay, but man oh man, that place is a hostile environment anymore. I've switched to mostly Etsy now but I still keep a few listings going on Ebay just to say I did it lol. My id on etsy is jrhooper and my id on ebay is miniaturemarbles.
Actually brown and white work pretty well, there's several shades of brown though, and I've found the lighter colors will fade a bit compared to the darker browns.
I think it has to do more with refraction or reflection on smaller scales, there just isn't enough red in red to show red if that makes any sense. I've found one red that holds up well and I have no idea where it came from but a friend of mine told me it looked like an opalino and my jaw dropped, I detest opalinos lol.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2012-11-01, 10:38am
J R Hooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyssa View Post
JR, I just checked out your Etsy site. You... Are... INSANE!

I have no words to describe what I'm thinking about your marbles right now, but it certainly looks like you've lost a few upstairs.
It's definately not hard to loose your marbles when they are 2mm lol. I spilled my jar once, doesn't sounds like a big deal, but finding 2000 miniature marbles in a shag carpet definately ages you. My friends keep trying to get me to contact Guiness World Records, we think I've made a couple million of them but I never kept any records to speak of so it would be hard to verify. Donno how I'm going to make them when I'm an old man, my hands aren't as steady as they used to be already, but I'm teaching the kids and hopefully one of them will carry on the minis. I just wish they sold better
Old 2012-11-01, 6:55pm
Naysayer

JR you really should put your links in your signature! Those are amazing!

Franklin I love that little flower! I don't work with canes really so I'm just here to creep and look at eye candy