I only use them occasionally, like for special shapes. 87 32.58%
I don't use presses at all. 30 11.24%
I prefer other specialty tools, like the bicone marver. 7 2.62%
I use something else entirely! 10 3.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 267. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2006-05-22, 9:25am
Carpe Beadum

Default To Press, or not to Press

I'm sure this has probably been discussed before. But I'm curious....

I know a lot of people use presses. I love how they make very consistant sizes and make a more uniform look. And I realize it still takes practice, just like anything else.

I can't manage to use a press without mucking up my bead release and wrecking the bead LOL So I make a lot of nice shapes without them, using only my paddle and stumpshaper. But I can't get multiple beads to be identical in shape that way. (except spacers, but this is more about focals)

Anyways, my question to you guys is, FOR SETS -

1 - do you think that buyers look down upon beads that aren't exactly identical in size, even if they match well in coloring and general shape?

2 - do you think most people are willing to overlook small variations, as long as they like the colors?

OH! and you can vote for more than one answer, mostly because of the bottom two options LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"In dreams we pass into the deeper and more universal truth." Carl Jung

Last edited by DreamMuse; 2006-05-22 at 10:05am.
Old 2006-05-22, 9:28am
Professional Pyromaniac

I make my sets without one matching pair on purpose. The only two beads that look the same are usually plain spacers. I find this goes over well. Course there are not many beads they can use for earrings. I think having a variety in a set, with a general sense of matching colors are my favorite sets to make and sell! But just my two cents!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jodi Hesting
Old 2006-05-22, 9:38am
ManBearPig

I don't own and won't use presses for any reason.

Old 2006-05-22, 9:50am
Carpe Beadum

I love your beads, Jodi *smiles*

I think I wasn't specific enough to say that I'm having trouble making a set of bicones be the exact same size and shape. *Smiles* I can get some close to others, but they vary slightly from bead to bead, and my perfectionist daemon is rearing it's ugly head LOL

They match beautifully in color, and actually look nice strung together. But no two match exactly. *sighs* does that matter?

Old 2006-05-22, 9:51am
Carpe Beadum

Cosmo - you don't need to use presses LOL Love your work too!

Old 2006-05-22, 9:56am

Personally, I think all bead buyers are very different and like different things.
I have a wonderful customer who buys what she wants when she wants it whether they are uniform or not...
On the other hand, I have buyers who insist on PERFECTLY even beads.
I just make what I want, throw them up, and if someone wants them, they will buy them!

Joanna
Old 2006-05-22, 9:58am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamMuse
Cosmo - you don't need to use presses LOL Love your work too!
Thanks. I don't do sets, so to me it doesn't matter if what I make isn't all the exact same size. In fact, I tried to make a pair of beads for a pair of earrings last Christmas. I made 14 beads before I came up with two of roughly the same size and shape...

I force myself to make one set of beads per year. That time hasn't come this year yet...

Old 2006-05-22, 10:02am
Carpe Beadum

Joanna, I can totally see what you mean *smiles* I tend to forget that there isn't a golden answer LOL

btw - your "watermelon coolers" are so fun!! very summery!

Old 2006-05-22, 10:04am
Carpe Beadum

Cosmo, the only way I've found to make earring beads is to make them both on the same mandrel. It'll never happen otherwise (for me anyways).

I tend to want to make focals, because I really do focus on each bead separately. But this new stuff I'm working on is crying out to be a set, and I'm hoping it'll be worth all this heartache LOL

Old 2006-05-22, 10:25am

I like to use the presses because I tend to get hooked on a shape--right now it's the nuggets. I also like to do more organic-swirly style beads and I like how they turn out more when pressed then when left round...it's like the press lends a whole new level of excitement, because you're not quite sure how the press wll add to or smush the design...

But I force myself to make round beads, and hand-shaped beads just to keep practicing and improve those skills as well...I tend to be fickle, so I;m sure I will go on a bi-cone binge someday!

I think that people who are looking for artist-made beads welcome small variations. It's what makes them unique...People who use more of the global lampwork would probably be more concerned with exact replicas...I think that's one of the things that appeal to those who use them. Of course, I could be totally wrong!

I think one beneficial use of presses is you have to learn how to eyeball the amount of glass in order to make beads that are good...this has helped me learn to eyeball glass better when making round beads and encasing...but that's just me!

Old 2006-05-22, 11:21am
Carpe Beadum

Rachel, I totally hear you - all the press shapes are so amazing that it makes me want to get presses just to make those shapes!

Wow, it's really interesting that soooo many more respondants to my poll use presses than don't. From the poll, three times as many people use presses. Interesting!

Old 2006-05-22, 11:53am
Button Queen

I have some stuff at a small art gallery in town. She REALLY likes the pressed beads, so I have forced myself to perfect the technique... well, TRY to perfect it anyway. I figure the more I know how to do, the better off I am.
Old 2006-05-22, 12:24pm
Ad astra per aspera

I've been quietly resistant to presses since they first appeared...until this past February, anyway. Now I'm hooked!

I've also rarely made sets in the past, mainly because of the consistency issue. I'm my worst critic, and I never felt very satisfied with what I could achieve, freehand. I'm also a jewelry designer, so I've looked at my beads/sets with a doubly critical eye.

I'm happily hooked on presses, now. (Hell, I have a current wishlist of about 10 more presses!) I like being able to make my base beads in a consistent size, and I'm totally enjoying the challenge of applying my favorite freehand techniques to pressed beads (I had my first encased dichro success on Saturday!). Presses are giving me many more design options.

I've also recently made the mental transition from producing necklace-useful focals to nice beads for bracelets, and I think this is an area where some of the flatter-profiled pressed shapes really shine....puffy pillows, lentils and similar shapes just lay so nicely on a wrist, better than rounds or donuts, and I just don't make small bicones as a rule.

I'm NOT giving up on freehand focals at all, in fact I'm learning to translate some of my press discoveries back to freehand beads. It's ALL fun and all good.

Oh, what bead release are you using? I have occasional cracking issues, mostly when I don't line the mandrel up correctly. Otherwise, my blend of FPI and Fosterfire holds beautifully. I use a 50/50 mix.

Old 2006-05-22, 12:25pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamMuse
Anyways, my question to you guys is, FOR SETS -

1 - do you think that buyers look down upon beads that aren't exactly identical in size, even if they match well in coloring and general shape?

2 - do you think most people are willing to overlook small variations, as long as they like the colors?

I voted for the top two options because at almost every sitting I make both pressed beads and freehand beads. I love both ways. I have always been addicted to pressed beads since I was a kid. I love when the press lines show (I know, I am weird!). When I started making beads I would check eBay for vintage bead presses all the time (because at that time there was no such thing as "Cattwalk" and "Zooziis") so I was gosh darn thrilled when people started making and selling presses.

To answer your questions...
1. Not at all...I don't think buyers look down on variations at all. My buyers love mismatched beads and I get the biggest bucks on things that are "wonky". I don't mean a wonky bicone, but a shape that isn't symmetrical in any way...a weird shape.

2. Yes definitely.

Old 2006-05-22, 12:53pm
Glass-A-Holic ^..^

Hi Disa ,

As a bead purchaser I do not mind if the beads are not all exactly the same. In most of my jewelry it really doesn't show if they are each off a few millimeters, some other people are just super anal. I do like them similar when I have a particular design in mind, which is not very often, so I will buy a matching set for this.

I guess I am not much help here ! It boils down to whatever appeals to me at that particular time and if I have the money.

Matching spacers are always a cool addition to a focal though!

I actually had someone tell me what color/type of glass they used on a focal I bought in Tuscon just so I could make spacers to match (I had a necklace in mind)! I thought it was the coolest thing since she only makes focals .

Alaina

Old 2006-05-22, 1:05pm
Lady Firebird

Who said that earring beads had to be identical, anyway? Back in March, when I was up at the Campbell Folk School, Kimberley Adams had a number of pairs of earrings for sale in their Craft Shop. For each pair, the bead colors were the same, and the designs went together, but the shape for each earring bead was usually TOTALLY different!!

GTT Scorpion torch & Regalia oxycon

Old 2006-05-22, 1:29pm
Covered in glitter

As a jewelry designer more than a beadmaker, I like things fairly close in size but the design can be different on each bead as long as the colors are the same. I like a few of the presses but not all of them. I like the lentil, the--don't know what to call it--square with the diagonal hole..and a few others. I don't like the flower, the spiral, those kinds of things. I also like just plain old round with good ends! If there were two sets with the same colors that I liked and one was round and one was lentil, I would probably go for the round first every time. I am getting into lentils lately though. It's nice to have a couple of smaller matching beads for necklaces, too. Different sizes in one set are OK as long as there are two of most of them.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2006-05-22, 1:51pm
Still makin' flowers...

I just bought a Zoozi Kalera press.
Its huge and uses so much glass and I love it!
I think I'll buy a lentil next, and maybe a smaller kalera to go with my gi-hugic one...

--NEW and Updated Beading Tutorials for all levels
!
Old 2006-05-22, 1:54pm
Mary Lockwood

I only own one press, and maybe once a month I'll make a set of beads with it. I just can't get all that excited about them.

I did purchase a kalera press because I liked the shape of it so much and I wanted to use that as a base for raised florals. I used it a few weeks and got bored with it so I traded it for a new hand held graphite marver. LOL

Never really caught press fever I guess. I don't think there is anything wrong with using them, I just didn't get addicted like some people do.

It helps that 98% of the time I make focals and I've never been concerned with making two of the same thing alike.

~~Mary

Old 2006-05-22, 2:03pm

Since I make a lot of bracelets and I really like the way lots of the pressed beads feel in jewelry, I tend to press a lot of my beads. That's not saying I'm great at it, but I still do it. heh heh I also can't seem to break free from symmetry.....so I like "matchy-matchy."

Old 2006-05-22, 2:04pm
Fire Monkey

Personally, I like a bit of variety of shape and size in my beads. To me, it adds "life" and the hand of the artist is better seen.
That said...I have no problem with the use of bead presses.
Whatever floats your boat

Hols

Old 2006-05-22, 6:06pm

I love the presses but try not to be bound by them - for instance its a real pain itb to make a lentil without a press (and not that easy with for that matter) so a press does make a consistent shape and size possible for a series of beads. I don't think I'd make a lentil without one!

I'm always lusting after another shape - and recently added up how much I had spent on bead presses (even though I try to snag most in the garage sale and think of myself as careful) ... it's frightening! I've wanted one shape for ages but the cost of it is imho way too much.

Now ... what is this nugget shape everyone is talking about (I can find the Kalera nugget - is that the one?), Lol .... (though I seriously want to know)

Sadie

Old 2006-05-22, 6:27pm

yes the kalera nugget is the one that's quite popular at the moment. It is sort of similar to the Catt Puffy Pillow but different enough to warrant having both

Old 2006-05-22, 6:39pm

I have never used a press and have been having the same thoughts on the subject as you...I do say in my listings that my beads are handformed and no two will be alike...but I love the way a set looks when they are all one size so I have just ordered a Catwalk button press...it will be my first and I cant wait to try it out...I hear you need to get use to using them so I probably will be practising for awhile...but I look forward to it...
Denise
Old 2006-05-22, 6:58pm

When I first saw people using presses to make beads, I thought of it as kind of like "cheating". What was the difference between them and a mass producer using presses? But as I've learned more and seen how artists using presses still can put a lot of individuality into it....I've changed my thinking a bit.
I used a press for the first time last month, the lentil. Presses are "ok" and they serve a purpose but not my favorite tool. 99% of my beads are shaped "by hand" but I like the option of having a press for when I want matching shapes/sizes with minimal waste of time and glass. Maybe once I'm off the hothead and on a hotter torch, the time involved in shaping my beads "by hand" won't be such an issue.

Tracy

Old 2006-05-22, 8:24pm
Ad astra per aspera

Quote:
Originally Posted by whispering beads
I have never used a press and have been having the same thoughts on the subject as you...I do say in my listings that my beads are handformed and no two will be alike...but I love the way a set looks when they are all one size so I have just ordered a Catwalk button press...it will be my first and I cant wait to try it out...I hear you need to get use to using them so I probably will be practising for awhile...but I look forward to it...
Denise
Denise, honey, take it from me...hide your credit cards, forget your paypal password, and delete Catt and Zoozii from your bookmarks, because once you've pressed, you'll never be the same again.

(Says she who's waiting impatiently for a few PP payments to score her next hit o'brass. )

Old 2006-05-22, 9:57pm

I agree...presses are addictive, but I figure there are much worse things that one could be addicted too!!

I love the consistance of beads I can make as I mainly do sets...I have never been a focal kind of girl...more into the smaller beads. My anal German heritage dictates that all beads in a set must be the same thus the need for a press (or should I say many presses).

I will never stop using presses, eventhough I make my own to sell on my website, I still continue to buy the great new shapes out there...just love the crystal I got this week.

Old 2006-05-23, 4:37am
The Grand Foobah

One of my highest priced sets ever on ebay was done free form, no presses used, just good 'ol gravity and my marver. If it's a good set of beads, then it's a good set of beads, pressed or not. I have seen some sets on ebay using a press that make me wonder about the artist and then I have seen some free form that I would take over pressed anyday. I think it's a personal preference and a comfort zone. Whatever works for you!

Foofaraw is a style. An attitude. A fresh glimmer of fun. Foofaraw is unique.
Old 2006-05-23, 7:35am

I am probably the weird one but I love beads that aren't all the same exact size and shape... A "perfect" bead can be a beautiful thing too but I like "art" and art isn't perfect.
Old 2006-05-23, 8:24am
Carpe Beadum

Thanks for the replies, everyone *smiles* I guess I need to squelch that perfectionist daemon from bitching and just let the beads speak for themselves *chuckles* Once I complete the set, I'll post them in Show and Tell and let them do just that.

Thanks again!

PS - Jenn - gorgeous beads!!!