No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2016-04-27, 11:55pm
Catnip Pusher

Default Color Saturated Glass

I have for many, many years seen pictures of glass beads with incredible, bright, super-saturated colors. Not silver glass, Double Helix or StrikingColor types of colors, but regular colors that simply have a greater intensity than any I've seen in the Effetre or CIM glasses I typically use.

Could they be 96 or 90coe glass? I've asked once or twice, but I think "soft glass" was the most I got. Then again, maybe the photos have been tinkered with?

Aimee
Old 2016-04-28, 12:08am
Phill

Lighting can make a world of difference.
Old 2016-04-28, 12:10am
Slogan Challenged...

Some pics would be good. I might suspect 96 or Czech glass also, but it is true that the type of photo counts.

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2016-04-28, 12:19am
Catnip Pusher

Frankly, I don't want to post pictures or links because I have a feeling it's all just lighting or the photos have been "adjusted". I'd hate to be accused of calling someone out!

Aimee
Old 2016-04-28, 12:59am

I love to play with saturation with my beads. Just for pictures. It's really obvious that I've saturated them to the Nth degree. I don't try to sell them using these saturated pics, I just post them on IG for fun. I just like the way they look. Yes, you are probably seeing some editing.

Old 2016-04-28, 8:02am

Hi Aimee - Corina recently did a wonderful write-up on using super saturated COE 96 colors. Very informative with some excellent pictures.

http://www.corinabeads.com/pages/purpleandpink.php
Old 2016-04-28, 8:35am
Fried Cat

It's my understanding that 96 is saturated. Hence why most Frits are 96. But some people do edit.

However....
I would have sworn sideways that Anouk (Troll Lover) used exceptionally nice lighting in her bead photography and tutorials. That is, until I saw her beads under normal lighting in a normal basement studio. That colors were true. Mouth dropping true, she's a genius at silver glass manipulation. So if they're super bright and you want to know why, ASK! Compliment their work and politely ask how they succeeded in getting their colors to pop because yours is slightly duller, etc., or whatever other experience you had. Ask if that's natural light or studio lighting.

Keep in mind, studio and natural lighting may not make a huge difference. Joy Munshower has the bead photography guy take all of her professional photos (Dave Baldwin I think) and they are bright, but again her colors are true on the sales floor. You see the same bead.

I discovered one of my favorite color combinations by asking the artist. It was R-mustard frit on R-Iris orange etched.

I have noticed, like Corina's pink purple write up, cores make a difference. Even when you think it's an opaque, it can make a subtle difference. The CIM moonstone translucents love a white heart. Encasing opaque with same tint transparent is also another method.

Last edited by SGA; 2016-04-28 at 8:48am.
Old 2016-04-28, 11:08am
Catnip Pusher

Thank you for your input!

Patty, that post by Corina is very interesting! I have a feeling the European beadmakers I have been seeing are using 96 glass! I've asked, but the one who answered just said she used soft glass. Probably because she mixed brands - since Corina shows it is possible!

Shardi, you are correct about core colors making a difference! But sometimes it goes way beyond that. More experimentation is obviously in order!

Aimee
Old 2016-04-28, 5:01pm

I was appalled when I got my first 96 transparents - bunch of super dark black looking rods! I don't really want to mix coe's, so I use them with other 96 colors to layer them. I really love the 96 color palette.
Old 2016-04-29, 6:39pm

I work mostly in 96 for the saturated colors and because it's a tiny bit stiffer.

Some days all I do is build blended rods of those 'black' colors into fabulous purples, blues, etc.
Old 2016-04-29, 6:50pm
Phill

I loved that link to Corina's page.

I think I found another hole in the universe for at least $1000 that I need to fill.
Old 2016-04-29, 8:57pm
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5betsy View Post
I work mostly in 96 for the saturated colors and because it's a tiny bit stiffer.
That's interesting. I find the 96 furnace color opaques to be much less still than 104, in fact, some are almost soupy and hard for me to control. (This is not true of System 96, that is a bit stiffer.)

I haven't worked a lot with the transparents because they are so dark, but they are great for blowing into shards that can be used on 104, following the 20% rule.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2016-04-30, 6:03am
Loving learning

And now I'm going to go pull out some of my 96, that I bought and have been eyeing from a distance, and make some white core cane with a couple of the transparents I actually bought with that in mind a while back!
Old 2016-04-30, 10:25am
Catnip Pusher

Well, the only 96 I have is frit - so I tried making cased cane by rolling a light colored rod in the frit. I got streaky cane! Not bad color, good for florals - but not the rich colors I was hoping for.

Back to the drawing board!

Aimee
Old 2016-04-30, 11:27am
Slogan Challenged...

Oh boo, I was going to try that too, Aimee. I might make murrine with the frit, though.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2016-04-30, 11:28am
Loving learning

Well I forgot why I went out & ended up making some BOC beads, LOL. Maybe I will try again tomorrow.
Old 2016-04-30, 11:45am
Catnip Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJohn View Post
Oh boo, I was going to try that too, Aimee. I might make murrine with the frit, though.
They don't look bad as flowers:

(Sorry - crappy phone pic!)

Aimee
Old 2016-04-30, 12:06pm
Phill

Nice Aimee.
Old 2016-04-30, 4:04pm
Catnip Pusher

Thanks Phill.

I do think the streakiness that results from using frit works well for the flower petals. I have leftover cane that I will continue to use for this, and I may try some other colors too.

Aimee
Old 2016-04-30, 7:10pm
Phill

I can see what seems like more saturation in the flower colors.

I may have to "invest" in some of the 96coe colors.

This may be the beginning of my path toward boro as I understand the color available in boro are a different thing altogether.
Old 2016-04-30, 7:54pm
Slogan Challenged...

That is a nice blue there, Aimee. I use the frit for flower canes too. That is why I have some. I got the tut for making murrine with frit, so I was thinking of that

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2016-04-30, 8:18pm
Catnip Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJohn View Post
I got the tut for making murrine with frit, so I was thinking of that
Who's tutorial is that? Is it complicated? It sounds interesting.

Aimee
Old 2016-05-01, 9:45am
Slogan Challenged...

Rachel Childers, ROCsdesigns. Here is the link for her shop. https://www.etsy.com/shop/ROCsDesign...hopheader-name

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2016-05-01, 10:50am
Catnip Pusher

Thanks!

Aimee
Old 2016-05-05, 1:51am

Ooooh, I will be buying some 96! Thanks for sharing the article, Patty. And great question, Aimee. I seriously thought they were just altered pics that you were talking about.

Old 2016-05-05, 3:58am

There is another thread here somewhere with some awesome pictures of 96 beads. It made me start my stash!

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=25079

Last edited by echeveria; 2016-05-05 at 4:02am.
Old 2016-05-05, 9:27am

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ghlight=Gaffer
Old 2016-05-07, 6:20am
I'm the 1000th poster!!

I made these many years ago using Reichenbach transparent over effetre white pulled into stringers, layered over white.

Old 2016-05-07, 10:44am
Catnip Pusher

Beautiful Debbie!

I am now convinced that most of the pictures I have seen with super-saturated colors must have been 96 glass. And when I can afford to, I am definitely going to invest in some!

Just what I need, another coe!

Aimee
Old 2016-05-07, 11:35am
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

A little goes a LONG way. You just about only need 1 rod of each color you like. You have to pull them in to stringers & they're still saturated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolychromeBeads View Post
Beautiful Debbie!

I am now convinced that most of the pictures I have seen with super-saturated colors must have been 96 glass. And when I can afford to, I am definitely going to invest in some!

Just what I need, another coe!

Aimee

Vivian

-