Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2015-01-17, 1:14pm
Melody of Glass

Angry Bead Release Containers

What do you keep your bead release in?

I have kept in in the original container, the original container with tape around the rim, the original container in a plastic bag, and now a plastic container with a locking lid. All of these have not worked well for me as they always end up with release around the rim and a bad seal. It loses some water and I have to dilute. It also leaks out while I'm shaking.

I dip my mandrels from this original container too.

Do you have better solutions for this? Do you dip your mandrels in the original container? If your bead release does not drive you crazy, I want to know how!!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-01-17, 2:03pm
specializing in obnoxious

I keep mine in the original container unless it gets too low to dip. It does dry out some because I torch so infrequently so I just add filtered water. I also stir instead of shaking.

__Go Big, or Go Home!__

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-01-17, 2:48pm

Can't help you with the lid issues, but I keep mine in a tall olive jar so that I can dip my mandrel deep or shallow.

Barbara
Old 2015-01-17, 2:52pm

Smile

I keep my bead release in it's original container and I store it upside down. I do shake it and from time to time I add distilled water. Also, I dip my mandrels from the container. I use Frantz bead release and have , so far, never had a problem with leakage.

Did you check the threads on your jar and the metal lid? Sometimes the release drips while I'm dipping and the I need to wipe the jar threads with a wet cloth. If you have bead release in those grooves, it could prevent a good seal.

Lydia
Old 2015-01-17, 2:55pm
Slogan Challenged...

I use the original bottle. I clean off the rim and lid every once in a while. The lid accumulates a lot of gunk that it's easy to miss. Nature of the beast, IMO. Maybe something with a snap on lid would work better?

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2015-01-17, 6:04pm

Go to your friendly pharmacy and ask for a tall prescription bottle with a snap on lid. Bead release is corrosive to metal and will eventually kill a metal lid. Store it in plastic or glass with a plastic lid.
There really isn't anything to do about the evaporation that won't contaminate the release, unless you use packing tape around the lid to seal it between uses. Just add a couple of klunker beads to the mix and add distilled water as necessary to thin it out.
Old 2015-01-18, 1:03pm

I was looking for an olive jar to pour into (so that I could get a longer dip) and didn't have anything suitable, so I used a relatively narrow Walkerswood Jerk sauce jar. I love it, I cleaned it carefully, but it still smells like jerk!

I don't have a solution for the crusty buildup, I'm having the same problem, I just scrape it off and rehydrate.

Old 2015-01-18, 1:08pm
da General

When I taught at The Glass Shoppe in Ottawa, Grace keeps hers in Ensure bottles. The slim shape works well for dipping even when the release gets low and the lid screws on really tight.

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-01-18 at 12.07.23 PM.png
Views: 605
Size:  37.6 KB

I just reuse my Foster Fire tall bottle for my other releases (Sludge) too.

|
|
|
|
Old 2015-01-20, 7:54am
SCIENCE Teacher!

Plastic lids need to have a foam liner inside or else they leak. All bead release has to be diluted sooner or later. There are a lot of variables. I just clean off the threads every once in a while. If you like I can send you an empty bead release jar with a few extra lids? Just send me a PM if you're interested.

Last edited by FosterFire; 2015-01-20 at 8:20am.
Old 2015-01-20, 5:40pm

I keep mine in a tall glass swing-top bottle. It still settles, and I still have to occaisionally add water, but it doesn't dry out anywhere near as fast as any of the other containers I've tried - the stopper forms a pretty air-tight seal, and it's easier to keep the connection clean than on a threaded lid or a cork. (And it's tall enough to dip mandrels for all but the most ridiculously long beads...)
Old 2015-01-20, 6:55pm
Glass-aholic

I have a grappa jump bottle for my tall dippings

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2015-01-20, 7:01pm

I have mine in a peanut butter jar with an added rubber gasket.
I usually run it through the thumbler as needed.

I dip a lot of mandrel at a time and leave them dry untill needed.
Wiping the threads when finished dipping with a cloth to keep the seal.

Old 2015-01-20, 7:08pm
I fart diamonds

I keep the main stash in the original bottle, but I fill a baby bottle and use that for day to day. I like a deep dip, .

Old 2015-01-20, 8:51pm
Melody of Glass

Thanks for the tips, guys. It seems like it's a necessary evil. I will try to find a container with a sealing lid that is unthreaded - I like that idea as it is easier to keep clean and thus tight. My current one is a locking tupperware type but that's not really cutting it either.

Thank you so much for the offer, Robin! I will try a few alternatives first. If I don't find a good solution, I may take you up on it (with a bead release order!)

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2015-01-20, 10:11pm

I use Foster Fire and store it in the original jar, but upside down, in a small plastic container that I use to pour in the bead release because I 'dip' the middle of ths mandrel. I have a small plastic spatula that I stand in the container next to the bead release. This is to scrape the release back into the original jar. I sometimes have to add distilled water and clean the jar threads.

Old 2015-01-21, 12:14pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

Y'all are making me think I should offer empty containers and lids for sale (cheap)?
Old 2015-01-21, 12:59pm

I keep mine in the original bottle, upside down, and inside a big ziplock bag to help "slow" the evaporation.

I went to the pharmacy and bought a 2 oz travel bottle (refillable) for toilets in carry-ons ... it's probably 1" wide (mouth) by 5" tall. I refill this as necessary and use it as my "dipping" bottle. Allows me to get a long or short dip as I desire and works all the way down to the end of the big, original bottle of release.