No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2007-06-01, 3:00pm
HourGlass Studio

Default What do you think of this fan ?

Just keeping my options open. Looking into 2 of these, one for each torch station I have. Also going to install plexiglass baffles on each side of each torch station to help with the fumes etc....

These fans come in different duct sizes from 6" and up...this is just an example of this fan.

what are the pros and cons of this type of fan????

http://www.onestophydroponics.com/ca...roducts_id=525

Thanks
Old 2007-06-01, 3:21pm
HourGlass Studio

For what its worth several shops in the city I live in highly reccomend this type of fan over a squirrel cage fan. When I asked why they said ( using all the same calculations that dale M has used here - which I thought was great ) that over time the SC fans burn out faster than these fans andthese fans have no static pressure. Meaning the same pressure thru the entire duct systen, where a SC fan will loose pressure and effect its CFM rating. Said a SC fan looses pressure evry foot down the duct and this type of fan doesnt.

Okay so I am NO expert but I would love to know if what they are telling me is true. The owner of the store said he has sold many of these to glass blowers ( larger CFM units ) and always has SC fans returned because they loose pull and these dont. Says hes been selling fans and setting up work stations for 14 years.

Could someone please have a look at this fan and tell me whats what.

thanks so much !!

laurie
Old 2007-06-01, 3:41pm
HourGlass Studio

Heres another picture...side view

http://www.grow-light.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?item=525
Old 2007-06-01, 3:49pm

First it looks like the fan blade system is plastic which is a worry. Second I would want to check and see what operating tempurature these are rated at. The motor is inline with the air stream, which isn't a problem for a nursery or pot room, but torch exhaust is going to be hot. Most of the inline fans I have seen are only rating for 120 degrees or so. This will mean they burn out very fast. It might be worth a shot at $35 for the Home Depot Duct Booster, but that one is $199! I would be scared to take the risk with something that expensive.

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2007-06-01, 4:32pm
HourGlass Studio

This was what I was wondering....I have heard these burn out easily...but everyone in the city says the squirrel cage fans burn out faster...they all carry both brands of fans.

Oh what to buy...what to buy.
Old 2007-06-01, 4:36pm
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie L View Post
Just keeping my options open. Looking into 2 of these, one for each torch station I have. Also going to install plexiglass baffles on each side of each torch station to help with the fumes etc....

These fans come in different duct sizes from 6" and up...this is just an example of this fan.

what are the pros and cons of this type of fan????

http://www.onestophydroponics.com/ca...roducts_id=525

Thanks

I figured it out... if I stake a post, no matter how fast Dale types... I'm ahead of him!

Then all I hav eto do is 'edit'! (the typos too)

Ok, now I'm off to type a answer...

DARN... I just read Paul's post and he said exactly the same thing... in 1/4 the words... I'm deleting my comments about hot motors and going to 'pressure'.

(deleted a lot of redundant words).

(deleletd all the other words too... everyone beat me to the answer!)
Me

Last edited by bhhco; 2007-06-01 at 5:43pm.
Old 2007-06-01, 5:05pm
Gentleman of Leisure

http://www.microspell.com

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2007-06-01, 5:09pm
HourGlass Studio

Thanks Bill

Thanks for the Micro spell Dale. Now what do you think of this fan ??? Pros/cons.
Old 2007-06-01, 5:21pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Its funny....... I can find the fan in a jillion hydrophonics sales sites....... Can not find the actuall manufacturers site to see what the specifications are....

Dale

ps... Spell check is for Bill who is having a problem spuling...

Old 2007-06-01, 5:27pm
HourGlass Studio

Yeah I couldnt find the manufacturers site either Dale....I have looked over and over for it.

Okay another thing. My kitchen range hood is 30" W X 19 " D. I want to keep the body only. I plan on putting plexi glass pannels on both sides of the fan to help with fume control and venting....looks like I need a 375 CFM fan - right ??? I will have 10' of ducting with only 1 slight curve maybe a 45 degree to vent thru my roof ( on the angle \ like so.)

Should I go for a squirrel cage fan I found today in my city...465 CFM. I want to work boro so I was hoping to get a higher CFM and every store I have called say that they carry the 465 CFM and the next jump up is over 1100 cfm. So I was looking into the inline hurricanes. The one I found with the 6" ducting is a 630 cfm and I thought it could handle boro better. I am using a Betta and 2 oxycons.

Also the guy who owns the store said that if I need to go from10" ducting down to 8" it reduces the CFM rating by 25 %. Is this accurate? This would apply to 6' down to 4' etc.... but I was just currious about this as I really find all this quite fascinating.

Last edited by Laurie L; 2007-06-01 at 5:31pm.
Old 2007-06-01, 5:54pm
HourGlass Studio

grotek.com...Dale and Bill.
Old 2007-06-01, 5:58pm
HourGlass Studio

Elicent has metal blades....
Old 2007-06-01, 6:56pm

I have a Vortex PowerFan, 747 CFM, 8" hooked up to my hood with a 6 square foot opening. Works fantastic! I got it at www.bghydro.com. It does have steel blades and a steel housing.

-Diane

Last edited by Diane (clarus); 2007-06-01 at 7:28pm.
Old 2007-06-01, 7:21pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie L View Post
grotek.com...Dale and Bill.
Been there ... Done that....... Skipped getting "t" shirt...

Site seems to be more involved in feed for cows....

Dale

Last edited by Dale M.; 2007-06-01 at 7:24pm.
Old 2007-06-01, 8:51pm
HourGlass Studio

Hmmmm - okie dokie. I never actually checked the site, we went out for diner. I will have to call them back and find out the fans homepage addy.

Here is the Elicent model with metal blades.

http://www.gchydro.com/Elicent+Inline+Fan.html

Last edited by Laurie L; 2007-06-01 at 8:55pm.
Old 2007-06-02, 2:06pm
HourGlass Studio

I managed to find an inline fan with a 390 cfm rating. The metal blades and an enclosed metal frame around the motor. It is ment to work with 6" ducting. I bought it to use with the 1 torch station that will do soft glass only. I only need a 375 cfm fan for each station....still looking into my options for my boro setup. I have to use at least 1 inline fan due to the size and area I have....the other area I have some flexibilty.

Whats so odd around this area I live in is that they do not reccomend squirrel cage fans at all. They all say they have bad luck with them. I spoke to several lampworkers who use these inline fans for their boro torch set ups and to cool the area where their monster kilns are, all with one fan and 10 " ducting and they claim these are amazing fans. The fan I bought today is made Europe. I will have to go look at the box for the name. Will give it a try and see what happens.
Old 2007-06-04, 8:39am

Im framiliar with these.

I have 6 of these mounted in my attic. 5 have only been there for about 2 yrs and ones been with me for almost 5. I know ive been told that they are no good in the past(by several members here) but ill swear by them. They are all metal, ive never measured the airstream temp, however 2 yrs later and everything is still working great! I work a phantom under one, a mirage under another, and a CC+ under a third, the rest have bobcats. All are 10".

These fans are IMO easier to install and seem to suck better than a SC fan of the same CFM.
Old 2007-06-04, 9:02am
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boroburner View Post
Im framiliar with these.

I have 6 of these mounted in my attic. 5 have only been there for about 2 yrs and ones been with me for almost 5. I know ive been told that they are no good in the past(by several members here) but ill swear by them. They are all metal, ive never measured the airstream temp, however 2 yrs later and everything is still working great! I work a phantom under one, a mirage under another, and a CC+ under a third, the rest have bobcats. All are 10".

These fans are IMO easier to install and seem to suck better than a SC fan of the same CFM.
Good info. These would be much easier to install.

Could you tell me the brand and model#? If only brand is known, then the CFM and I'll research it. And duct diameter - if different from 10" fan diameter?

With attic installation it sounds like the ducting is a straight shot from hood to roof. Right?

Me

Last edited by bhhco; 2007-06-04 at 9:07am.
Old 2007-06-04, 3:00pm

It very well could be a straight shot yeah, mine are not due to building/shop design. I was told before somewhere that they even like to run with a little back pressure. If its true or not i dont know.

There are several mfgr of this type of fan. Mine are Groteck(5) and Elicent(1)
http://www.elicent.it/inglese/axcmet.html
Elicent I know makes their own, i think groteck's are made by someone and just relabeled(theyre cheaper by about 100$, so far they run fine!)

Sorry i cant get into the attic w/o a huge hassle, i think the cfm is in the 900 range for a 10", ive seen from 4"-12".

I remember when i researched it that the groteck had greater over all CFM.

Hope this helps
B
Attached Images

Last edited by boroburner; 2007-06-04 at 3:11pm. Reason: add photo
Old 2007-06-04, 4:18pm
What, Me Worry?

Thank you very much, the data and the photo tells me worlds of information.

I have isolated the manufacturer to Continental Fans Manufacturing for the Elicent, and perhaps the the Grotek also.

If I work really fast... I'll beat Dale ...

Me