Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-05-06, 9:50am
shy glass-a-holic

Default Beginner alert! Just starting out on a torch, seeking advice.

Hello everyone!

I'm very interested in getting better with torching glass.
I have maybe 3 hours on a torch so I am very very green, hehe.

Is there a good thing to make for the best practice? I keep hearing different sides so thought I'd ask on these forums.

My interest is mainly in boro... but I've had people tell me to start with making beads in soft glass... some say make stir/plant sticks in boro to get used to it... etc.

What is your advice?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-05-06, 10:13am
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

I would recommend Corrina Tettinger's book "Passing the Flame" for step by step, easy to understand instruction. Also, there are several really great books by Cindy Jenkins and one also really superb one by Kim Adams. You can get them on Amazon.com at reasonable prices. They should get you started on your way in fine fashion!!! Cheers! Joan

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!

Last edited by j2canoe; 2010-05-07 at 4:15am.
Old 2010-05-06, 10:15am
thecoralcat

Also the tutorials on both LE and WetCanvas.com (in the glass section) are great for different techniques once you have the basics down.....

NEW TUTORIAL!
Old 2010-05-06, 10:20am
shy glass-a-holic

Oooh thanks for the book list. I'll check 'em out.

I have the benefit of working at a glass school so I have access to torches and teachers... I'm really curious about what things are best starting out learning.

~
Old 2010-05-06, 10:56am
thecoralcat

You work at a glass school?!! You are so lucky!!!! I don't know - when I started out I started with just trying to get those d*** dimples in my beads - it was quite a challenge until someone enlightened me on the disc method. Second, I just spent a lot of time making organics and learning how the different glasses reacted with one another. Then it was on to encasement. I guess just pick something that interests you and keep trying it until you're happy with it and then move on to the next challenge that interests you. That's how I did it! I would certainly be picking the brains of all of those glass instructors you have at your disposal tho! They would be running screaming from the building every time they spotted me..........

NEW TUTORIAL!
Old 2010-05-06, 11:01am
shy glass-a-holic

Lol!
I'd like to work my way up to making marbles and heart pendants out of boro... they look so very awesome!
The torch teachers aren't always in so looking for something I can play around with on my own.

~
Old 2010-05-06, 11:11am
Live and Let Live

In my opinion, if your interest is in working in boro, then there's no point in using soft glass first because they work totally differently. There are lots of videos online and there's a 'room' here on LE dedicated to Boro (in the Tips Techniques and Questions category). Have fun learning!

Last edited by GlassGalore; 2010-05-06 at 8:14pm.
Old 2010-05-06, 12:04pm
Covered in glitter

I have to agree with Lisa. Boro and 104 are pretty different to work with and I don't see the benefit of learning 104 if you want to do boro.
www.talkglass/forum.com has a lot of great boro information as well.

Oops...right link is http://www.talkglass.com/forum/index.php

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2010-05-06, 3:42pm
Gentleman of Leisure

STOP trying to make beads or objects.....

Glass when molten is subject to centrifugal force and gravity..... IF you are working beads on mandrel its really apparent.... Like a raindrop in space that will tend to form a round ball, a gob of molten glass will do the same thing, this is fluid dynamics, EXCEPT it is subject centrifugal force and gravity........

Centrifugal force and gravity tend to pull the glass in two directions, gravity , downward, centrifugal force, outward.... So put a gob of glass on a mandrel and just cook the life out of it but observe what it does, what how gravity pulls it downward and how you can counteract gravity by rotating mandrel... Spin mandrel slowly and watch glass try to form a round ball, spin mandrel fast and watch it try to form a donut shape.... Tilt mandrel to one side watch what glass does, tilt the other way and watch what glass does.... The object here is not to make anything (but maybe a mess) but to learn how to manipulate the glass. To understand what the forces at work here are doing and how heat effects what you are trying to do, how cool glass react much slower than really hot glass....

Once you have played with the physics of how to move glass, then you will have better understanding on how to get the shapes you want....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2010-05-06 at 3:44pm.
Old 2010-05-08, 7:16am
Dangerous Woman

Well said Dale!

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2010-05-08, 7:32pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
STOP trying to make beads or objects.....

::edit::

Once you have played with the physics of how to move glass, then you will have better understanding on how to get the shapes you want....

Dale
Excellent advice! It really is important to just play with the glass. Don't get frustrated - glassmaking is amazing but it does have a long learning curve (at least for me).

Old 2010-05-08, 9:16pm
Sheila Davis Designs

You must be at one with the glass...wax on, wax off, wax on wax off..