Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-06-05, 5:56am

Default OUTDOORS

Hey everyone! Is it possible to have a temporary outdoor lampworking area? I have a nice 1/2 covered back deck with the wood slats covering the bottom half. I wouldn't be moving ALL my supplies just the obvious and the glass I'd be using.

Duane

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-06-05, 7:19am
Bad Cat Glass

Why not? As long as you don't get too much wind, I don't see it as any different than working in my garage with the doors open. I do have some wind here, so I have a curtain that I can pull across the garage door side of my work space. It just breaks the wind and keeps the glare from the sun to a minimum. How about posting pics?
Old 2010-06-05, 7:20am
just another glass addict

My studio was outside for a couple years. I really liked how quiet it was without the exhaust fan. I put my glass in a metal locker to keep it clean and I put cement board on the floor. I put up curtains in the winter to keep the wind out, and I really enjoyed it.

"Confidence, like art, never comes from having all the answers; it comes from being open to all the questions."
-Earl Gray Stevens-

Old 2010-06-05, 9:05am
Salt Box Beads

I LUV torching outdoors but the breezes and the bright light makes it hard. Have to have a dark background/bench and a wind screen of some sort.
Old 2010-06-05, 9:21am
uncouthful cats

My "studio" is in my carport. I've even torched in rain, if there is no wind. Wind is definitely the deciding factor for firing up the torch or not.

Oh no! The cats forgot to vacuum AGAIN!
Old 2010-06-05, 9:59am
honorary bead lady

Duane there are a lot of people here who do it outside
Old 2010-06-05, 10:33am
Covered in glitter

I like to torch outside too. Build yourself a trifold frame with plexiglass in it to block the wind if you need. Worst problem is seeing the flame.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2010-06-05, 11:55am
one day at a time

Worked on my carport for a long time. I used a 6ft table and hooked up the torch on one end. About 3ft in front of the torch I had an industrial fan turned backwards, and wow, you talk about great ventilation! I even built some side baffles to channel it better.

I use my Bobcat and generator inside in a spare bedroom, but I'm thinking of hooking up my HH outdoors. As soon as I get the $$ for the 60lb tank of propylene, plus another table. I want to be able to work outdoors this summer as much as possible, because we still don't have a/c here. It's going to be another rough summer, but next summer won't be like this, thank God. For now it's just toughening me up some.
Old 2010-06-05, 6:02pm

Default I have torched outside

for three years. I am set up in a corner with two walls and behind me is a black shower curtain to block sun. We don't get huge amounts of wind, but the summer heat can be killer! I also torch in the rain as long as it is not lightening.

Check out this thread for a pic of my lampworking cart:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=163169

SRA #C88

Old 2010-06-05, 7:17pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by houptdavid View Post
Duane there are a lot of people here who do it outside
Yeah, but he's talking about LAMPWORKING.

Old 2010-06-05, 7:19pm
honorary bead lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROC View Post
Yeah, but he's talking about LAMPWORKING.
OH!
Old 2010-06-06, 3:09am
Unmedicated since '62

i'm working sort of outside at the moment - in the BBQ area, and its great, no need for ventilation, birdies for company.
the only problem is the wind and i've put up a plastic sheet to shield me from that

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2010-06-10, 8:52pm
Forever

Working outside is awesome. We have high winds so I needed a blockade (which my husband put up a plastic type shield). However, it was totally awesome. And, yes the birds were great company, and bunnies and squirrels.
Old 2010-06-13, 2:10pm

i used to take my hothead outside on a "computer cart" (the rolly-wheeled kind) & hook it up in the driveway--that was the only way I could torch for 3 years! I wore polarized-safety-rated sunglasses 'cause it was waaay too bright in the full sun to wear didy's--otherwise I couldn't see the torch flame @ all! (safety-eyewear-police need not weigh in @ this point--I've heard it & my eyewear was rated perfectly protective for the torch & glass I was using *and* I was in need of better protection from the uva/uvb/uvc from the SUN than from any tiny amount of IR the hothead/glass was producing anyway! I did the research & talked to my *own* doctors--I'm satisfied I did *no* damage.)

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2010-06-14, 6:40pm
The Andrea Half

Lisi and Clan Tabby, when you worked on your carport, di you bring all your tools and supplies outside for every torching session? If not, how did you prevent your tools from developing legs and walking off? I am pretty sure that if I left my torch, oxycon, and any brass or graphite tools outside overnight that they would disappear. Pieces of plywood and an old ladder seem to be okay, but gas cans, garden tools, and small portables seem to be popular items in my neighborhood, and I *know* someone would hike off with the propane and turn the brass into rent, drugs, or booze in a heartbeat.

Old 2010-06-15, 11:49am
Glass Attack

I'm glad i found this forum, as because i live in a house with 6 people, there is no room to set up a studio in the basement(the house is a work in progress)
also, they are concerned with me setting up on the deck because of the propane), so im going to be blowing in the driveway until something could be worked out.perhaps i'll get on craigslist and look for a used aluminum carport to set up an outdoor studio. just hope i can get a way to run power to an oxycon.