Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-08-06, 9:20am

Default Annealing Keys

My DH has a windchime he bought years ago made from keys that have been annealed in some way. They "tinkle" instead of clunk together. I have lots of old keys...mostly brass and would like to try this. Does anyone know how these keys were "annealed"? Can't seem to find anything on the internet.

Thanks all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All my children have paws
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Proud Member of "YOU PEOPLE" 9.13.11
Old 2011-08-06, 5:56pm
honorary bead lady

Are they strung thru holes drilled in the keys, or are they strung thru the bow?

With tubing there is a formula as to where to string them to get a tone instead of a clunk
Old 2011-08-06, 10:27pm

They are strung through the hole in the key..like where you would attach it to your keyring with regular fishing line. They are dull as if they have been heated and since they are outside, they now have some oxidation, but still have a high tinkle.

Old 2011-08-07, 5:41am
hi ho hi ho its off to ..

With metal (steel and iron) annealing is done to soften the metal to make it easier to work with this would not result in a bright sound from the keys.This is done in much the same way as glass with a high heat hold and a slow cool down.
I suspect what has been done is a form of "tempering" where the metal has been heated to a dull red heat and then immediatly plunged into cold water this hardens the metal and would result in the brighter sound you are getting.
This all depends on the metal you are using some metals are softened by heating to red and quenching (silver) and other are the opposite. frankly with keys you may never know exactly what the metal is you will have to fool around a little to find out what works for you.

People who call me weird think I should take it personally. if you really want to upset me you should call me normal !!!

on

Old 2011-08-07, 3:54pm

Thank you Mark. I'll try heating a few up in the torch and plunging....will let you know.