Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-01-12, 5:37pm

Default Oxygen Concentrator Questions?

My concentrator just bit the dust. On the inlet filter there is a date (08-2003) and the hours (13550) on the machine when I bought it. It now has close to 25000 hours. I can hear the motor when I turn it on but no air pressure. My question is, is it worth sending it out to be fixed or should I just buy a new one?
Thanks in advance.
Stef
Old 2012-01-13, 5:46am
hi ho hi ho its off to ..

I just went through this very problem... I looked at the price of shipping two ways + the costs of rebuilding the compressor and it came to more than 50% of the price of a "new" one, decided to upgrade to an M20 and ordered a "new' oxy-con.

after years of working with various machinery I look at the costs of repair (after the warranty period) and if it comes to 30% or more of the cost of replacement it gets replaced and striped for useful parts for its replacement.

it just depends on how much it will cost you to get the m/c back and forth to the repair center and the costs of a rebuilt compressor ( they seem to range from $65 to $125 + the cost of instalation) for me being in Canada shipping to a repair center would cost $140 each way ... so it becomes cheaper very quickly just to replace.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
People who call me weird think I should take it personally. if you really want to upset me you should call me normal !!!

on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-01-13, 10:04am

Thanks Mark for your input! I'm the same way with repair and replacement. I did get good use out of this one! If I can't find a local place to fix mine I'll be shopping for a new one.
Old 2012-01-14, 8:08pm

what kind of machine is it?

Old 2012-01-15, 12:04pm

It's a Devilbiss 5 liter.

Stef
Old 2012-01-16, 8:17pm

if its a 505 or 515 they have mufflers/filters that screw onto the compressor itself. They tend to get cracks in them over time that can cause the problem you have. If you remove the back cover (on the back of the machine there are 2 screws in the top handle, 2 recessed into the bottom of the cover, and one per side. Use a flat head screw driver or T25 Torx) you can see the muffler. It looks like this:

http://www.oxygenplusmedical.com/dev...compressor.htm

Look for cracks. Maybe even spray some soapy water all over the filter and turn the machine on. You'll see suds forming if there is a big enough leak.

Let me know if you find anything

Old 2012-01-17, 10:17pm

Justin,
It's a 505. I opened it up and took some pictures of the inside. Doesn't seem like anything it moving through the filter. I ran out of time today to mess with it. I will do the water thing tomorrow. Thanks so much for walking me through this!
Stef
Old 2012-01-18, 10:10pm

OK.

Does the machine alarm eventually?

Another place to check...there is a short fat aluminum cylinder up near the circuit board, and underneath the hour meter. Towards the back of the cylinder is a small T fitting with a very small, and a slightly larger hose attached to it. See if that is possibly broken too.

-Justin

Old 2012-01-19, 12:05am
Alaska Boro

Give some of these troubleshooting tips a try. See attachment.
Attached Images

Last edited by Alaska; 2012-01-19 at 12:08am.
Old 2012-01-21, 12:57pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin L View Post
OK.

Does the machine alarm eventually?

Another place to check...there is a short fat aluminum cylinder up near the circuit board, and underneath the hour meter. Towards the back of the cylinder is a small T fitting with a very small, and a slightly larger hose attached to it. See if that is possibly broken too.

-Justin
Thanks for all of your help Justin. It doesn't look like anything is broken up around that cylinder.

and yes, the alarm does turn on within a few minutes running. Maintenance light stays on too.

I'm going to go get my old oxygen tank filled so I can get back to work for now. I will contact you soon to see what I need to do next for this machine or a new one.

Again, thank you!
Stef