LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2014-06-29, 3:26pm
Lifelong Student

Jamie, did you by any chance notice you posted a year to the day after the last post? Sorry, I notice patterns...lol
Old 2014-06-30, 4:44am
Molten Glass Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mina View Post
Jamie, did you by any chance notice you posted a year to the day after the last post? Sorry, I notice patterns...lol
No, I hadn't noticed that, lol. I took my beads out and two of them look amazing. But a few others just look yucky. I'll try to post pics after work tonight. I still have to clean these. They're soaking in water right now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
< me in my younger days

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
< me now days

< me after a pomegranate rum slushie

Old 2014-06-30, 4:53am
Molten Glass Addict

Plus, I want to say everyone's beads are amazing. I love to see everyone's work! xoxo

< me in my younger days

< me now days

Old 2014-07-05, 5:49am
Molten Glass Addict

Here are a few of my beads. The first larger one was the first one I made, I think I overheated it and wasn't really sure how to get the pretty colors. I hadn't marvered it. The two small ones were made without marvering (after I read this thread), I wanted them to be rounded and couldn't' seem to cool them enough to get more blue/green/purple. Not sure what I did wrong. Although I do like the colors.

These were made after reading this thread, in order. The first one was quick, one marvering. The colors are muted, I was hoping for more vibrant. The second turned out a lot better. Then I put clear lines and bumps over it. The third was overheated again, and I couldn't get any other colors then those. don't like it.

< me in my younger days

< me now days

Old 2016-07-26, 1:55pm

Dawn (Art Insomnia) - Your tut on Raku Secrets Revealed was written some time ago, but after trying and trying and failing and failing, I finally discovered it. THANK YOU SO MUCH!
I can now SEE colors out of the frit that claims to be 'raku'. You are a total 'Glass Goddess!'
Newbie, J.D.Leigh
Old 2016-07-26, 9:37pm
grama punky - class junky

thanks for the tips! I have sporadic success with raku and maybe this will guide me in more consistency.

Old 2018-01-06, 7:20am

Dawn, thanks for the great posts and pics. I am struggling with raku, magic and multi. I guess the browns I am getting are nice in an organic sort of way, but would really like to get the blues and purples, greens, etc. I've read so much conflicting info on the subject, I am more confused now than ever. I have tried heating the beads until they are drippy, but can't get the shape back after without serious distortion. I have turned up oxygen and I have turned up propane (I have a Carlisle mini cc). No matter what I try, I end up with brown. My question is am I supposed to be going heavy on oxygen or propane? Also, how many times do you reheat after the big heat up? Maybe I am not taking enough time? Any light you can shine is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 2018-01-06, 9:39am
Phill

If I remember correctly you can overcook raku and there is no getting it back once that has happened.

My only successes were playing with small beads and small quantities of raku frit trying to learn the heat / cooling routine to get the colors out of it consistently.

I had some limited success but then life will (of course) come along and pull me away from the torch long enough to forget everything I learned.

I've got fingers crossed for you.
Old 2018-01-19, 3:49am

Sorry to say this but you won't get any more info than what is described already within this thread. You' ll find all answers to all questions about Raku here. Even your own questions were asked multiple times and answered. My advice for you: open a blanc word file, start at page 1 of this topic, copy & paste just the essential info into your word file. At the end you' ll have a shrinked version of everything you need to know about Raku. The cheapest tutorial you can get. I know it will be quite some work but you' ll realise that this thread has 27 pages because people asking same questions over and over again instead of reading and filtering thru the info already given.

Elke

Advice from Dawn in her 1st post:

Edited to say....You really need to read through this entire thread. There's tons of beautiful photos and great advise from not only myself, but lots of other members as well. But if you want my most up-to-date explanation of Raku in a nutshell, go to post #405 on page number 14. As time has gone by, I'm starting to figure out how to better put into words what I need to say about Raku. Print it out....Read it...Have fun with it, and don't forget to post photos of your gorgeous beads!

Last edited by Locococo; 2018-01-19 at 5:38am.
Old 2018-01-19, 8:08pm

Dawn Scannell has an excellent tutorial including working with Raku, released 2017, which I recently purchased on Etsy for download. (Silver glass studio notes)

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1516923...op_home_feat_2

I thought I understood all the secrets of Raku, but she revealed more.... and did it very concisely and clearly.

Old 2018-01-31, 3:32pm

Thanks for this...have had mixed results with raku.. Will try your way..
Old 2019-03-06, 7:47pm
Naysayer

Boosting an oldie, anyone notice a major difference in "raku" the past couple years? I cannot get any colors, it's mostly a green or tan, I never had problems like this. Using 96 coe that I bought because I blamed it on 104. I've adjusted my kiln and tried so many things.

I bought a batch of frit that did nothing, contacted them and they said there was a bad batch and replaced mine, wondering if these rods (canes) are the same bad batch?
Old 2019-03-07, 8:17am

Hmm...I don't know how to compare, since I never had any of the old stuff. I certainly never got super bright colors out of raku, and I've only used 104. Here's a recent bead with newer 104 raku. There are some colors, but nothing vivid. There is green and tan, but also some in the purple range.

Name:  Raku.jpg
Views: 6057
Size:  25.5 KB
Old 2019-03-07, 3:12pm

The only really colorful raku I've had are the beads in my signature..beautiful browns and blues..some orange..but I made them around 13 years ago. The newer frit does not come out very colorful..At the time I made these beads Raku was "Hot!" and I was unable to find the frit but I bought Kugler rods and smashed them up and used them on an ivory base.
"

Old 2019-03-08, 12:09pm
Naysayer

yonil that set is too too cute!! I do see color in there. I get some color sometimes when using it like that as design, but not as beads.

Rarepipes "raku" is reichenbach, unless there's another color I need to know about? But, agreed, not the same colors as before sadly.

So far I haven't found a replacement, such as a Dh because the ones that might be, like Terra, have those annoying white spots throughout. I've had customers think they are flaws (I have to agree).

Last edited by Ravenesque; 2019-03-08 at 2:50pm.
Old 2019-04-01, 3:25am

I can' t get any colour out of the COE 104 stuff.
Whereas no problem with the COE 96.
I bought about 10 lbs. in 2009 (COE 96) and if someone is in need I'm willing to part with.

Elke
Old 2020-11-29, 1:03pm

I love raku. Thanks for reposting this post. Glad I saw it.
Old 2021-04-21, 10:55pm

Good Morning (German time)!

After some time of abscence from glass I read through this rakuthread and thought "so many success thanks to Dawn's instruction - perhaps I can manage it now!"
But I got these - the only colour I got are the DH Skylla dots...

Worked on a Mini CC with brandnew 10 lpm oxicon and Raku coe 96 from the year 2007 (roundabout).

I won't give up!!

Gesendet von meinem BLA-L29 mit Tapatalk
Old 2021-04-22, 6:19am
Loving learning

You and me both! Sometimes I can get it, and sometimes not. I'm still working on it too! (But you do have color, just not the color you hoped to get! )
Old 2021-07-17, 7:26pm

Thank you! This is the best tutorial I’ve read about working with raku frit.
Old 2022-02-20, 1:18am
Michelle

Brilliant work! Love the look of raku
Old 2022-02-20, 1:20am
Michelle

Brilliant work! I love the look of raku