Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-07-05, 7:03pm

Default Best 104 white?

Please tell what you like about your favorite 104 white. I want to stock up.

Thanks!
elyart
Old 2010-07-05, 7:18pm
one day at a time

I love the CiM white, but so far I just use it with other colors in the line just to be on the safe side as far as compatibility goes. Maybe other people use it with Effetre and Vetrofond but to me, it hasn't been around long enough for me to trust it with those two. I've made a few beads that I put away in a drawer and I'll check on them....in 2-3 years. I sell a lot of beads so I have to be extra careful.

I think the CiM white is more dense than the Italian glass, which I like.
Old 2010-07-05, 7:34pm

yeah, I'm looking for a dense white for flowers and maybe dots.

Aren't CIM and effrette, vetrofond compatible? I wasn't aware of an issue.

elyart
Old 2010-07-06, 5:17am

CIM white (Peace) is a tad stiffer than the Effetre or Vetrofond.
301-770-7666

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The #1 Lampworking Source for the Mid-Atlantic!
Old 2010-07-06, 5:27am
Queen Bee

I like CIM Peace. If you are looking for a brilliant white, Reichenbach Enamel white will fit the bill.

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2010-07-06, 5:53am

Great! Thanks!
elyart
Old 2010-07-06, 5:59am

I'm with Donna on the Reichenbach enamel white, i just love it.

The only drawback I find on it is that is it quite a bit stiffer than the moretti/effetre/vetrofond ones and when I use it in murrini the pull is quite affected by the difference in stiffness. It devits a little too if youre not careful, but is just lovely and dense and bright white if that is what you were going for.

I haven't tried the CIM white, but have heard that it is great from quite a few of the local lampy peeps down here in Oz,

Nat

Old 2010-07-06, 6:58am
one day at a time

I haven't read of any compatibility issues yet but like I said, I prefer to be safe because I'm putting a lot of beads out there.
Old 2010-07-06, 7:29am
Rose colored glasses…√

I like Peace, a lot, but...

Peace didn't like being encased with Aether. Didn't like it at all.

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2010-07-06, 9:17pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissij View Post
I like Peace, a lot, but...

Peace didn't like being encased with Aether. Didn't like it at all.
Ahh...I know if I had some of that I would have tried it with the Peace too. Good to know, thanks!
Old 2010-07-06, 11:36pm
Unmedicated since '62

i just bought some peace - isnt it pretty? shimmery kind of pearly white

must add, i havent used it yet, just admired the rods

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2010-07-07, 7:58am
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
i just bought some peace - isnt it pretty? shimmery kind of pearly white

must add, i havent used it yet, just admired the rods
I love that about it, so I don't have to worry about mixing them up with other whites! But I label my rods with painter's blue tape anyway.

It's a little more dense than the Italian glass, and that could be very nice with dots on black, I imagine. I haven't tried Tuxedo or Hades yet.
Old 2010-07-07, 10:33am
Glass & Parrots = Heaven

I just started using CIM Peace and imo it is far better than Effetre in that it is stiffer, better color density, it also doesn't cloud some of the colors the way Effetre does. I have found is that when I use it with CIM Tuxedo, it webs with a slight brown tint, kind of the way dense black works with ivory.

Best Bud Cosmo - Eclectus Parrot
Old 2011-03-16, 11:39am
Naysayer

Bumping an old thread, white question.

I normally buy CIM Peace, but there was a sale and figured I'd grab up some Moretti white just..well just because! (btw peace is compatible and one cool thing is the amazing reactions with some of the frits). It arrived and it looks really light blue ? and the ends actually look like murrini lol. Like clear and white/blue 'stars'. Is this normal? It's marked 204, I've just never seen it this hue or the ends like that. I'm sure usuable, just curious.
Attached Images

Old 2011-03-16, 12:08pm
Ellyloo-YAH!

If those were holes, that's nuts!!

Old 2011-03-16, 12:19pm

That doesn't look good at all for 204! I had heard that there was a shortage of white (204) right now, maybe they're using this to fill the void?

Still I'd try melting some to see if it does anything cool.

Old 2011-03-16, 12:32pm
Naysayer

It's not holes, it's clear it seems. It looks like holes but the ends are smooth. But weird patterns isn't it? Like starbursts. And isn't the hue odd also? I took it into different lighting and it looks blue in all.

I'll melt some later, sandman decided I wasn't worthy of a visit.
Labeled MP204, I had to double check, I have a few whites, cool white etc etc but I've never seen this.
Old 2011-03-16, 1:27pm

That's really not normal! It should look solid opaque white...

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-03-16, 1:53pm
Born Facing Left

There are a couple of those rods that you could almost cut into slices and use as murrine. Never seen anything like that....weird but kind of cool, too.

Old 2011-03-16, 2:18pm
one day at a time

I had some problems with CiM white turning translucent on me so I went back to my old favorite, Effetre. I was supposed to work with my batch of CiM some more and then get back to the company on what I found. I've been up to the neck in other things for quite a while now and I keep forgetting. I am glad this thread was brought up again and it reminded me!
Old 2011-03-16, 2:32pm
Will work for Glass

I bought in on the sale of the Moretti and although it looks strange and a little blue I have found it works pefectly well when fired.

Northern Mermaid Beads

Old 2011-03-16, 2:39pm
Glass-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenesque View Post
Bumping an old thread, white question.

I normally buy CIM Peace, but there was a sale and figured I'd grab up some Moretti white just..well just because! (btw peace is compatible and one cool thing is the amazing reactions with some of the frits). It arrived and it looks really light blue ? and the ends actually look like murrini lol. Like clear and white/blue 'stars'. Is this normal? It's marked 204, I've just never seen it this hue or the ends like that. I'm sure usuable, just curious.
The Vetro 204 "cool white" looks just like that! Frantz has a sale, and I bought a bunch! I love it. It does not look blue at all when melted, nor does it seem to bleed with clear. I think it is great, and for the sale price of 4.99 lb who cares! Seriously though, it always looks white in a bead.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2011-03-16, 2:58pm
geekitude on two wheels

I often use effetre white for bases and stuff, since it's plentiful, compatible and cheap, but I use peace for detail work always now. This seems to be my standard fall back more and more lately - Effetre for base glass, details with other stuff (especially CIM, but riechenbach more and more, and some Lauscha and other stuff too).
Old 2011-03-16, 4:37pm
Oinky Oink!

Is it just me or is CIM kind of on the stiff side compare to Effetre? I am a newbie so I am not sure if it's product difference or "user error"

-Christy
Old 2011-03-17, 2:45am
Naysayer

Pretty much all CIM is stiffer, but I like that.

Lisi weird, never have I had it go transparent o_O
Opposite since what I love about it is it's so white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
There are a couple of those rods that you could almost cut into slices and use as murrine. Never seen anything like that....weird but kind of cool, too.
I'm actually going to..when I get to the torch, only bad part is they're so skinny, but we'll see!

Ok so NorthernMermaid has 'blue' Moretti, Jaci has 'blue' Vetro 'cool white'. (my cool white isn't like this, it's white and white on the ends)
..are either of yours ends like this?
hmm, I went through this before last time I bought Italian white, it was huge bubbly and SUPER shocky, I was told by some it's Moretti, some Vetro lol!

Again, not a huge deal, I'm just super curious since I've never seen this before.
Old 2011-03-18, 4:43pm
one day at a time

The CiM Peace I used as a base with swirls of Canyon de Chellie (sp?) and silvered ivory. The turned out to be an organic and lovely taupe colored stone look. The second set I made with the same rod and stringer over the CiM Peace (from the same bundle) and the white turned translucent grey-white and the other colors looked like baby poop.

I was SO disappointed and I'm sure glad I didn't have those beads listed as one of my made to order sets! I haven't tried to make them again since.
Old 2011-03-19, 12:44pm
Glass-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenesque View Post
Pretty much all CIM is stiffer, but I like that.

Lisi weird, never have I had it go transparent o_O
Opposite since what I love about it is it's so white.

I'm actually going to..when I get to the torch, only bad part is they're so skinny, but we'll see!

Ok so NorthernMermaid has 'blue' Moretti, Jaci has 'blue' Vetro 'cool white'. (my cool white isn't like this, it's white and white on the ends)
..are either of yours ends like this?
hmm, I went through this before last time I bought Italian white, it was huge bubbly and SUPER shocky, I was told by some it's Moretti, some Vetro lol!

Again, not a huge deal, I'm just super curious since I've never seen this before.
My cool white (vetro) has an overall blue hue to it. the rods are a little rough (some of them) and yes the ends look like this too. Its almost like tooling at those super white light bulbs that almost seem blue-ish...

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2011-03-22, 3:47am
Naysayer

Ok i finally got to torch (sheesh!) and yeah it's white when worked, which i assumed.

Jaci, my cool white is smooth and when held up to the light actually has an amber-like hue to it, almost like it's translucent, weird yours is blue and rough like this.

Lisi, Chelly is like it has it's own mind sometimes, and I would suspect if you used it just with that (from what it sounds?) that it's the Chelly not Peace.
I just was trying again to finish a set and it's taken me many tries to get the same hue of Chelly so it matches lol. I pretty much know the striking ranges of it, but even still it turns different when cooled. I'd have given up but it's more like a game to me now. Sometimes purple, sometimes light brown. I love the stuff though!
Old 2011-03-22, 9:25am
one day at a time

Yep, I figured it to be one of those that has a mind of it's own. LOL!

I know now that anything I make with it will have to be an OOAK set, but with my luck, I know to make all the beads in one torching session and straight away! No pausing to turn off the torch every few beads or so, because any change in the flame chemistry could make the next few beads off from the previous...! Been there and done that with opal yellow. hehe

I really love the taupe color I got from the Chelly!
Old 2011-03-22, 8:29pm
Catnip Pusher

Does anyone actually make a "dense" white? Dense as in other colors don't show through when white is applied and melted over top of them? I always get some bleed.

Aimee