No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-07-01, 8:47pm
And silence is golden

Default Mason jar COE

Quick question. Anybody know the coe of a mason jar? Had an accident with one tonight, and thought it would be interesting to see what the glass looks like melted. It made a very clear, non bubbly rod.
Old 2011-07-01, 10:45pm
Cat herder

I think bottles and jars are made of a very low COE glass, so they don't have to be annealed (cheaper that way). I've seen lots of people complain that it takes a long time to melt bottle glass.

No fancy signature yet.
Old 2011-07-02, 1:26am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

I treat those as COE 90-96, and use a soft glass annealing schedule.
Haven't had one of those beads break yet. Just don't ever mix the glass
with another bottle of unverified COE.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-07-02, 6:26am
one day at a time

The Ball mason jars in a pale aqua color with aluminum lids that had been in my family for over 100 years cracked in the house fire. I would like to make some beads with them. We recovered two out of the 11 that were not cracked. It was heartbreaking, but oh well, I can make beads with them and it will mean something.
Old 2011-07-02, 9:30am
hi ho hi ho its off to ..

my father used to work for Dominion Glass they made beer bottles,mason jars,baby food botles and for a long time the fancy bottles that Avon used for their "collector" bottles

I aked him a whule ago about the coe of the glass they used and he said that it depended on the "batch" but that in most cases it ran from 85 to 100 depending on the addatives that they put in to get the colours the more colour the softer the glass in most cases

I would not count on the glass being compatable with any other than its self and a conservative 104 annealing schedule seems to work well for bottle glass

as for bottles not being annealed thats just incorrect ALL bottles that are manufactured for use by the public have to be annealed ... I was in the Dominion factory several times and the annealing kilns ran 24/7 the hot bottles going in on a conveyor at one end and cycling though to the other end in about 90 minutes they were still about 400 degres when they came out the "cold" end .... the kiln was in an s shape and about 1000 feet long all gas fired.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
People who call me weird think I should take it personally. if you really want to upset me you should call me normal !!!

on

Old 2011-07-02, 6:44pm
And silence is golden

Thank you all for your replies. My son decided to make some marbles with the glass. The ones that he used bits of Bullseye coe90 in, all cracked. The one that he didn't add any other glass to it, is still in one piece and not cracked.....yet.