Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2011-10-08, 7:24am
hi ho hi ho its off to ..

Lightbulb Creating a coil in tubing?

I would like to make some straws for a "cocktail" theme party using some 8mm boro tube.

part of my design calls for a helical coil in the middle of the straw I read somewhere (and forgot to bookmark it) about a tape that could be used over a mandrel that was heat and flame proof and would give the cushion that the glass needed when cooling as not to contract and be permanently part of the mandrel or crack.

anybody have any idea what it is called and where to get it or have a better way to create the coil

open to any ideas here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
People who call me weird think I should take it personally. if you really want to upset me you should call me normal !!!

on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-10-08, 9:10am
boro color bender

Ali would be the one to answer this...

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2011-10-08, 9:57am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Maybe try wrapping the hot tube around a brass rod and slip it off before it cools/contracts enough to break?
Old 2011-10-08, 9:39pm
senior citizen lampworker

a ribbon burner would come in handy here. I have a neon ribbon burner that works great for this. You heat up a section of it at a time. Usually one loop of the coil at a time. and make it as long as you like. Using a "mandrel" on this type of work just doesn't work, unless you have a lath.
try drawing the dia. on a graphite plate or better yet some refractory paper. heat up small sections of tubing at a time and lay it down on the drawing to guide you. the flat surface will also help in keeping the glass from drooping while you do it.
Let us know how it comes out.
Mike

A YouTube video I made:
Old 2011-10-09, 2:43am
Boro Bum

graphite tape used mostly on lathe's Abr or mountain I believe sell it

acidfly

Old 2011-10-09, 5:41am
hi ho hi ho its off to ..

graphite tape.... THATS IT thank you ... will order some today ... in the mean time I will try Glassdog's method and see how that works for me ... no ribbon burner yet but its on my list if I ever see a used one going for a price I can afford.

People who call me weird think I should take it personally. if you really want to upset me you should call me normal !!!

on