No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2007-07-16, 12:08pm
Abstract Stinker!

Red face It is hot in Houston

I am a newbie. I am trying not to ask questions that have already been asked and answered on this forum. For a newbie this forum is a gift. I don't know what I would do without you guys.

1. I live in Houston where it is extremely hot. Is there much danger of a propane tank blowing because of this heat. I know you keep BBQ tanks outside but my tank will be outside my window much closer than a bbq pit.

2.Do I need to buy something special to store the tank in outside that is safe from lighting storms and heat. I know I can't just sit a tank on the ground outside, it is very wet and humid. I have done some metalsmithing with disposable tanks inside. But now that I am more aware of the dangers because of this forum (thanks you again) I want to be safe. I care for my aging parents and they don't run very fast if ya know what I mean.

3. I have two empty 1 lb disposable mapp tanks, where and how do you dispose of them when they are empy. I have searched the net for Houston disposal and can't find anything.

I would really appreciate the help
Thanks
Carolyn
Old 2007-07-16, 3:22pm
What, Me Worry?

1. No the tank will not blow up from sun heat. The direct sun will significantly raise the tank pressure... potentially to 200-220 psig... but that is still less than 50% of the pressure needed before the safety pressure valve opens, and less than 10% of the pressure need to rupture a tank. You can't 'blow' the tanks safety pressure valve unless you build a bonfire under it ...and you can't rupture the tank because the safety pressure valve will release. A well known testing company went across the US collecting th oldest, rustiest, most beat up, hadn't been used in 50 years tanks and test the safety valves. They all worked within specified tolerance. No worries there.

2. You can cover it, and Dale has some great ideas about how to do that. It doesn't need to be fancy. Technically you don't have to 'protect it'... it's made for outside use, and it's probably one you exchange - and they clean, derust, and repaint them.

3. It's Texas. Add them to your trash can.

Now... since you mentioned disposables... I'm assuming you have a HH? If you are planning to use the HH with a bulk propane (20# BBQ tank)... and with the Texas heat... you will have some problems. Although the HH can be used at 'tank pressure'... it is quite finicky about what that pressure really is. The BBQ tank in Texas summer pressure will be far higher than anything you ever experienced with disposable canisters. That's not good. You made need to add a regulator. There is someone here who did and found it made a world of difference. Do a LE search with HH and regulator and it might pop up.

Me
Old 2007-07-17, 3:24pm
Abstract Stinker!

Thank you sooooo much for answering my questions. You were right I can just throw the disposables away after all it is Texas.LOL
My brother is flying in from Calif. and I will have him help me with this project.I read the trhead on tank pressure in hot weather. Thanks a million for that tip.
Like I said before I could not make it without you guys.

Carolyn