Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-03-29, 4:59pm
Just Me

Default please, tell me I'm not a total loser for buying this . . .

Is it or isn't it? Please, please can someone tell me if it is . . . do I have an ounce of luck in my life?

~Barb

Old 2006-03-29, 5:02pm

hmmm. Hard to tell. First pic looks like a yes, but the second one is a bit iffy. Is any of it labelled? Where did you get it? Have you tried melting the end of a rod yet?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-03-29, 5:05pm
Just Me

Hi Kandice, nope, haven't tried melting it. Found this at my local hobby shop (I just got home). None was labeled. Will try and get a better pic of the ends.

Thanks, Barb
Old 2006-03-29, 5:20pm
Just Me

~ Barb
Old 2006-03-29, 5:40pm
I'm a lilac!

It's oblong... looks like it might be THE REAL THING!

Old 2006-03-29, 5:43pm
Satake Woman!

ooo ooo!!! Melt an end and tell us. Then go back and buy the rest!!

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2006-03-29, 5:47pm
Just Me

It's all definitely oblong Kalera, thanks!!. Oh Jo, I already bought it all!! (Big Grin!~) They had 14 rods. It was all dusty and dirty and after I cleaned it up, man, I just started shaking . . . maybe I AM lucky after all. You guys won't believe what I paid . . . .

How (or what) am I looking for after melting? (stupid question I guess)

~Barb

Last edited by barbarajoy; 2006-03-29 at 5:55pm.
Old 2006-03-29, 5:56pm
Satake Woman!

Did you pay $9 a pound? If I guess right do I get half of it?

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2006-03-29, 6:01pm
Just Me

You goofy girl! A buck a rod. Can you say ~ such a deal! Man, I'm afraid to melt this, I'd never be able to do it justice (yet).
Old 2006-03-29, 6:08pm
Cheerfully Profane

You hit the mother lode if that's the real thing! Good for you!

I'm doin' the happy dance that someone got a deal on streaky pink.

Rebekah
Old 2006-03-29, 6:10pm

Well not to be a party pooper but it looks an awful lot lie some dark pink I have. Not the streaky pink but if you strike it good it is still a delicious pink color. It's an older version of pink that I bought at $9 a pound quite a few years ago. It seems like ALL the pinks have gone WAY up since it is such a popular color. All my streaky pink has a very distinctive dark, dark pink spot (the line that runs down the side is pretty dark) on the end of the rods. Either way I think you got a good deal!

Tracey

Listen to your inner voice. It knows what's it's talking about.
Old 2006-03-29, 6:27pm
Just Me

Thanks Rebekah ~ still have my fingers crossed

Tracey, my streak is dark and the end (dot) is med. dark - it's not a real dark dark pink. So I guess I won't get my hopes up too high here. You're right though, it's a real pretty pink, for the price. My older dark pink has rings so I couldn't judge it for myself. Oh, and those rods are round. Thanks.

Kandice, Kandice please, would love your thoughts (if you can tell from the pic). Thanks

~Barb
Old 2006-03-29, 10:05pm
Glassy Lady

It sure looks like it might be. If you send me a inch of it, I'll take a look at it and then send it back and let you know what I think. I've had a lot of it and can tell it at a glance, but pictures can be deceiving.

BHB/PANDORA EXCHANGE IN THE PATIO
Old 2006-03-29, 11:01pm
Just Me

Oh thanks Alex!~ I PM'ed you. ~Barb
Old 2006-03-30, 6:05am

Wowie zowie. Any pretty pink for $1 a rod is cool. The real deal will be really exciting.

Would now be a good time for someone to discuss their striking secrets? Or maybe I should start a new thread.

I'm not going to offer mine because I only strike things well about 1/2 the time.
Old 2006-03-30, 8:01am

Judging from a pic is hard, because Soft Pink 260 also has a light pinkish brown stripe, and is much much lighter. So I hate to try and decide based on a pic. It looks like it might be the real thing but I can't tell you for sure based on that.

When you melt the end, pull a small stringer, and then let the stringer and the end of the rod cool quickly. If it blushes a nice bubblegum pink, you most likley have the real thing. The stringer will be a light bubblegum color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarajoy
Thanks Rebekah ~ still have my fingers crossed

Tracey, my streak is dark and the end (dot) is med. dark - it's not a real dark dark pink. So I guess I won't get my hopes up too high here. You're right though, it's a real pretty pink, for the price. My older dark pink has rings so I couldn't judge it for myself. Oh, and those rods are round. Thanks.

Kandice, Kandice please, would love your thoughts (if you can tell from the pic). Thanks

~Barb

Old 2006-03-30, 8:43am
Button Queen

How do you get the "full bubblegum pink" color when making a bead? Does it just happen, or do you have to strike it, or what?