TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Old 2008-11-22, 6:17pm
ManBearPig

Redesigning my web site (which is where the pics were hosted). Once I'm done they'll be back....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-11-24, 9:13am
Butterfly Rancher

I think I'm beginning to get the "how" of pulling points but I'm very unclear as to "why" and "when" someone would want to pull points. Can anyone explain under what circumstances someone would want to pull points?

May 2014 -- Good-bye Florida and Hello Colorado
Old 2008-11-26, 8:04am
SSDD... go ahead, ask me!

Holiday Ornaments, Inside out beads.... I know there's more but these two came to mide quickly.
Old 2008-11-26, 9:26am
Butterfly Rancher

I see "pulling points" in tutorials and I purchased the Ornament tutorial where Candice does an excellent job of explaining how to pull them. But I'm trying to figure out the underlying reason why. Does it come from the fact that larger diameter tubing needs to be made smaller at one end to be more effective in the blowing? So if I'm starting with small diameter tubing -- say 8mm -- would I even need to pull a point?

May 2014 -- Good-bye Florida and Hello Colorado
Old 2008-11-26, 10:36am
No Problem!

Usually not necessary with diameters that small.. When you get up past 15mm it really isn't as practical to work off of the end of the whole tube.
Smaller dia. handle(s) to turn with = better control and managability. The narrowed ends of a point also create a pre-necked configuration that allows you to more precicely shape the glass between the points. Eg. blowing a perfect sphere between point handles is ideal, where as doing it on the end or middle of large diameter tube is going to create several problems and limit the results.

In my world just about every blown piece starts with a pulled point. The only thing that comes to mind that doesn't is a coil-potted bead that gets coiled from the end of a 9-12mm tube.
In some situations like heavier blown pieces that may exceed the strength of a pulled point, it's applicable to attach smaller tube to a section of larger tube for use as a blowtube/handle.

(Beau & Shani)