Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2013-07-26, 11:58am
Chief Creative Goddess

Default Exposing myself....!

Hey all, I want to expose my.....ignorance! I have 2 parts to my story!
Part 1:
I have a Minor. I think it needs service--I've never done anything to it but run the cleaning tool in the holes....but the tool can go allllll the way into all the holes. And my top mounted marver gets stinkin' hot!
Expert opinions please---
1. Do Minors need servicing?
2. Should I send it in for service?
3. Who/where do I send it to?
4. Estimated expected Costs?
5. Time it should take to service?
6. Is it cheaper to just buy another Minor than to send it in for the service?

Part 2:
I have a Red Max I've never set up, since I don't have a tank, just a 10 lpm oxycon. It also has a foot pedal, and I have the regs and hoses for it.
My questions are:
1. Can I use it on an oxycon?
2. How do I block the hoses to the bottom torch and just use the Minor top mount torch?
3. What else do I need to know to make this work so I can send in the Minor??!!!

Thanks so much to all who know and can help!! I just don't want to be without a torch for toooooooo long.....

I put this question in the Torch Questions section, but want to hear from anyone who can help also--thanks!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-07-26, 12:25pm

just rock the minor on top, no need to block any hoses. so long as your valves on the lower redmax burners are off, you're fine.

with your problem torch....do the candles look different then they did when it was new? have you been using a very low, soft flame a lot? tiny flames get torches really hot.
Old 2013-07-29, 3:08am
Unmedicated since '62

I haven't had my minor serviced ever, I clean out the holes when the flame gets dodgy, I also turn the flame up high oxy then tap it with my tweezers till no more carbon sparks come out - end of service

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2013-07-29, 5:51am

have you been running a smaller flame then usual lately? that will cause the torch/marver to get wicked hot.
Old 2013-07-29, 6:16am

if you are still concerned call Nortel mfg. or info@nortelmfg.com

I had a question and was able to speak with Peter who talked me through an adjustment.

Right now they may be at Rochester ISGB show?

Laurie

Tags
nortel minor, red max, service