Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-05-05, 2:59pm
HotFlash Designs

Question Does lampworking vary in regions?

I have noticed that a lot of glass workers over seas (I am in the U.S.) seem to make very colorful beads.

I'll have to note which countries they are, but I used to say to myself "Whats in the water over there?" because I want some!

Do you notice differing styles by region? or is it just these talented folks really stand out to me because I like their style? I am just in AWE of so many artists. the detail the colors, the stringer work, the cold working.

Some of you coax the best reactions out of the silver glass I wouldn't know where to begin. I have numerous tutorials, but seem to fall short.

I think we could use a good discussion anyway. I'll post links to some of their listings. (I don't think they'd be upset, because it's because I love their work. I'm not looking for ways to duplicate it.)

Thoughts?

Be Curious. Not judgmental.
Old 2014-05-05, 3:18pm
JennyD

That is an interesting observation...I don't think I have ever noticed it till you pointed it out. I am going to have to pay more attention lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...I'd rather be beading!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-05-05, 5:19pm
Disconnected

I thought so at first, especially about Germany and the influence of Ana and Melanie, but now that I look again, I see many, many different styles everywhere. Some artists have more exposure than others, and that is what influences our overview.

Old 2014-05-05, 7:56pm
HotFlash Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flonche View Post
I thought so at first, especially about Germany and the influence of Ana and Melanie, but now that I look again, I see many, many different styles everywhere. Some artists have more exposure than others, and that is what influences our overview.
Good point. Melanie is one of those "catch my lower jaw please" that made me think about it.

Germany, Netherlands, Israel. But I'm sure it's just that those artists are the ones who catch my eye. There are SO many talented artists all over the world. I think I just love the color!!

Be Curious. Not judgmental.
Old 2014-05-05, 9:01pm
one day at a time

Yes, I think it does. It's something I have observed for years.

Having been a lampworker for a long time, I think it's because few of the foreign (meaning non-US) lampworkers spend time hanging out on glass forums and places like eBay and Etsy to look at what everybody else is making, so they have developed a style that is truly their own. I must admit that I admire that a lot.

Sooo...no "cookie cutter beads", or '"must follow the trends", or "must buy the tutorial so I can make that". Now don't get me wrong, there is absolutely nothing wrong with getting inspiration from other artists, but I think they have chosen not to do so.

(jmho, so don't flame me)
Old 2014-05-05, 9:28pm
Slogan Challenged...

It might be a choice of materials, too. For example, I've noticed many of the Asian lampworkers don't tend to use silver glass, or a lot of silver foil. There is only one I can think of that does any kind of organic bead at all. But I don't think he uses silver glass, it might be too expensive to bring in?

Bright colors might go with cultural preferences, but those are popular all over the place, so they sell well. I think a lot of it has to do with the market you are going after, or who ends up successful in making a niche for their style.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2014-05-05, 9:47pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJohn View Post
It might be a choice of materials, too. For example, I've noticed many of the Asian lampworkers don't tend to use silver glass, or a lot of silver foil. There is only one I can think of that does any kind of organic bead at all. But I don't think he uses silver glass, it might be too expensive to bring in?

Bright colors might go with cultural preferences, but those are popular all over the place, so they sell well. I think a lot of it has to do with the market you are going after, or who ends up successful in making a niche for their style.
I agree. I don't see very many of them using silver glass or foil, or even frit. It's just amazing what they can do with just Effetre alone. It takes me back to my beginning days when that was all I had to work with, along with my imagination.
Old 2014-05-05, 11:21pm
Slogan Challenged...

My wallet would be happier if I made do

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2014-05-06, 4:39am

I think there was some regional variation from shops or comercial beads.
A few years back at a festival one of the vendors a refugee sold charm beads from their village in rural Himalayas, they were well made and had a similar look, though the pallet was a lot more limited to maybe 20 colors.

Exposure to new designs, other artist, and access to different materials changes things quite a lot.
Independent shops and artists also add a lot of varity but designs are often stolen and knocked off in bulk if a comercial shop can get ahold of them.
Copyright does not always work well in Pakistan, India, and China.
Allibaba, etsy, and eBay are prime examples.

Old 2014-05-09, 2:01pm
Super Duper

The only style I can consistently identify are Japanese beads. Both their glass and torches are very different from what we use (no oxygen) and many of their nicest techniques just don't work with our glass.

The language barrier has also made the transition of techniques slow.