LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-11-17, 9:05pm
too many rods in the fire

Default Anyone on here do stamping on sterling.

I want a small sterling silver pendant with a quote. I didn't see anything I liked on Etsy, and I know lots of folks here do multiple mediums...

I want the pendant to say "Fall down seven times, get up eight"

Any suggestions on who does this kind of stuff here?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-11-17, 10:13pm
Uh Oh....

How big? That's quite a few letters and they would have to be fairly small stamps to get the saying to fit. Another way to go is engraving or even etching it into silver so it could be small and still readable.

Silver can be etched with ferric nitrate and the only difference between etching copper and silver is the acid and the resist (lettering) works best with PnP paper for the resist. This way you'll get crisp letters.

Or engraving which I'd probably get it done professionally.

Old 2013-11-18, 6:21am
Glass-aholic

I had a larger quote done for me by a gal on etsy. I think it was darkchocolatentulips. I didn't get silver, but she worked with me for exactly what I wanted and it was fast too. She is in Hawaii and I'm in CT, and still it was fast.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2013-11-18, 7:42am

I wanted to stamp this bracelet, but it was a "buggar." So I had it engraved locally....shortened the saying as well....

~
~
~
~
Old 2013-11-18, 8:22pm
Glass-aholic

Nice!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2013-11-18, 8:38pm
Uh Oh....

Julie - Your bracelet turned out awesome. I know some people that can stamp well but it's difficult with so many letters. I was thinking of a local engraving shop would be the best bet for Rene too.

Old 2013-11-19, 2:15pm

I had the same problem--wanting a lot of information stamped on a small bead cap. A fellow LE member offered to etch the bead caps for me. She has since written a fabulous tutorial on metal etching.

I don't know how to link to the tutorial, but you can find it in the tutorials section:
My First Tutorial...Metal Etching including BEADCAPS
Old 2013-11-19, 4:22pm
Melody of Glass

Bought it. Love it! I've made my first two beadcaps and etched the metal for the next bunch. Fun!!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2013-11-19, 6:44pm
too many rods in the fire

Thanks for the replies, ladies. So it sounds like engraving is probably the best way to go. There is a local place (I hope they are still there!) that does engraving, so I will check with them once I get past this horrible flu/fibro flare I am dealing with at the moment. It's really got me laid out.

Old 2013-11-19, 10:31pm

Just chiming in here...I wrote the tutorial and metal etching would work really well for what you want done. But if you only are interested in only the one item, engraving may be the way to go. With etching you can add design elements like we did with Julie's bead caps, different fonts etc. Pm me if you are interested in learning more.

Old 2013-11-19, 10:36pm

Caliente...so glad that you are using the tutorial and enjoying it would love to see some photos of your bead caps.