Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2015-08-20, 5:25pm
Christine

Default How do I make a similar bead, please?

Hi, every time I see beads like the one in the pic, I drool. I'm 3 months into bead making and I still get confused as to what silver glass is exactly and whether I can use it on a hot head. What do I purchase - is it actually called silver glass?
How would I make a similar bead, please?
Finally, I can mix CIM 104 with Effetre 104 without any concern, correct?

Old 2015-08-20, 6:05pm
Dynamic Duo

http://beeswaxrubberstamps.com/lampworkbeads.htm

The above link will take you to Amy's tutorial for this type of bead - storming technique

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-08-20, 6:18pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaming_fools View Post
http://beeswaxrubberstamps.com/lampworkbeads.htm

The above link will take you to Amy's tutorial for this type of bead - storming technique
Awesome tutorial, on my list of 'need to haves' but, is the glass in the above beads reduction? It looks like striking glass to me?

Couple good sources for silvered glass is Double Helix Glass, and Striking Color. I love them both! However, be careful how much you spend on striking glass if you are using a hothead only. Reduction glass is a better bet, as it can be done with propane. Striking glass, needs the oxygen rich flame to really bloom.... Personally, I would work on technique and shape, before getting into some of these glasses, or you may find yourself frustrated, fast!

I bought some test batches and clearance deals from double helix, to learn on, and build confidence before experimenting with glass that is $40 or more per pound!!
Old 2015-08-20, 6:24pm
Christine

Oh, thank you both so much!
I'm actually quite frustrated today working on the simple twisting of dots! I either don't get a good twist or I twist the round bead until it's not round anymore. Jeez! Thanks again!
Old 2015-08-20, 6:29pm
Loving learning

According to this thread, a hothead works
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ighlight=Storm
Old 2015-08-20, 7:27pm
Shelarious

That tutorial is worth the money ten times over. Highly highly highly recommend.

Old 2015-08-20, 7:27pm
flight risk

A hothead will work for storming, but certain colors are easier. Try Psyche or Triton (both Double Helix). And Effetre and CIM is generally compatible, there are a few temperamental colors though.

Old 2015-08-20, 7:40pm
Christine

I appreciate it, thank you all!
Old 2015-08-21, 6:27am
Phill

Aye and that twisting thing you are trying to do is all about heat control.

Shaping the bead round, with nice puckers at the mandrel requires getting the inside of the bead hot enough to flow for you.

Decorating the surface with twisted dots requires letting the inside cool enough to get solid ( but not so cool that it cracks when you put the thing back in the flame to work on the surface) and then reheating just the surface just enough to move when you twist it.

Learning the timing thing with heat control is going to be one of the many practice practice practice deals and doing it while not letting the fascination of the glass distract you from paying attention to how long a time the heat has had to soak in or come out of the core depending on what you are trying to do next is a major lesson in self control.

Get some of the "seconds" of the reactive glasses and the silver glasses.
Don't invest in more than a quarter of pound of each one if you can help it ( some is only sold in whole pounds) and just play with it on the end of the rod.
That way you can learn some of what it will do with the torch that you have now but you won't have worry about using it up until you can reliably get it to do what you want it to.
Then you can add it to your beads with some confidence.

Make sure you have your Name and address in the Random Acts Of Glass Kindness (RAOGK) list.
Often the Glass Fairies will bestow gifts of special things to folks knowing well what it was like to wish for glass that is just outside of our budget when we were just starting out.

There are lots of folks that can make magic happen with the same tools you have right now.

Amy's tutorial is worth your torch's weight in gold.
Buy tutorials before you buy the glass and they will teach you alot about how the glass behaves and that can lower your frustration level alot.
Old 2015-08-21, 11:42am
Marble Lover

Phill Speaketh da Truth.

-BEP
Old 2015-08-21, 1:17pm
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaleesi Dane View Post
Striking glass, needs the oxygen rich flame to really bloom....
Striking glass,such as Double Helix and StrikingColor, doesn't need an oxygen rich flame to strike, just a neutral flame. It's the heat that resets the glass. And yes, you can strike striking silver glass on a HotHead but it will take you a lot longer.

From Double Helix's website
http://www.doublehelixglassworks.com/FAQ.aspx#8
Quote:
Silver glass strikes due to silver crystal growth. When the glass is worked hot, the silver crystals dissolve, yielding a clear glass. When the glass is reheated, crystals form inside the glass. These crystal lengths grow to the same size as various wavelengths of light. The color sequence of lengthening crystals is as follows: clear, yellow, orange, red, red-purple, purple, blue, green. When glass is worked hot ("reset") the glass looks clear. Due to ambient heat within the glass, the first stages of striking usually occur automatically, yielding yellow-orange-red, which all blend together to read as "amber" or transparent dark brown. As the glass is cooled and reheated, purples, blues, and greens are developed.

|
|
|
|
Old 2015-08-21, 1:18pm
Christine

Default How do I make a similar bead, please?

@ Phill - 😘

Last edited by ccaronn; 2015-08-21 at 1:27pm.
Old 2015-08-21, 1:20pm
Christine

Thank you, Hayley and bepnewt!
Old 2015-08-24, 12:05am
Naysayer

As for the CIM, I mix all the time, just be very leery of mixing their "opal" or moonstone colors, like opaque effetre and opal CIM is iffy.
If you are unsure if it's an opal glass, check their page before you buy.
http://www.creationismessy.com/palettes.aspx
Old 2015-08-24, 5:59am

It looks like Ekho, which is a striking and reduction glass. One of my favs.
These dots are made with Ekho.

Last edited by truegem; 2015-08-24 at 6:06am.
Old 2015-08-24, 7:18pm
Christine

Fantastic, thank you both!
Old 2015-08-24, 8:58pm
Lifelong Student

I thought it had to me a reducing silver glass??
Old 2015-08-27, 3:56am

Are you replying to me? Not sure, but Ekho is a very unique glass that strikes and reduces. I don't know any other that does both, but I haven't been keeping up on the silver glass world lately. Don't worry about the striking, it kind of just does it without thinking. That's when the heat affects it. Reducing is when an oxygen depleted flame affects it. That's where you will need the practice. Don't get me wrong, striking can take practice, too. But with this glass, I just let it strike on it's own. That might not make sense if you've never worked with silver glass. But I hope it does. For these dots, just a quick reduction. About 2 seconds or less. =)

Old 2015-08-27, 4:47am

Quote:
Originally Posted by truegem View Post
It looks like Ekho, which is a striking and reduction glass. One of my favs.
These dots are made with Ekho.

Looks like either Calypso, Clio, or Ekho.
Old 2015-08-27, 5:06pm
Storm Queen

The beads in the first photo look like a striking glass (Terra maybe) with lightly stormed OR and then topped with clear.

Old 2015-08-27, 10:08pm

Hmmm, when I use Ekho, I get those mango colors when looking straight on at the dot and fucsia and purples when turned to the side. My pic just isn't as clear as the top one, but it looks exactly like that in person. But yes, does look stormed.
I haven't worked with Terra much but I was unable to get much from it. But if you can get those colors with it, awesome!

Old 2015-09-03, 9:28pm

I bought Amy's storming tut ages ago and I love it, I was on a hot head when I started and the technique worked form me. Lots of trial and error with silver glass. I still haven't mastered it. I would recommend starting with triton, psyce and Arke. I found those worked the best on a Hot head