Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-07-03, 5:33am
SSDD... go ahead, ask me!

Default Making your own Thermocouple

I have an AIM 84BD Kiln - years old. My Thermocouple has been out for over 3 years and was misplaced until recently.

I've gone online to see them at AIM for $43 and then went to Paragon (which is right down the road here) for $55.

So I did some more web searching. Found alot of information on them and I'm wondering if it is possible, and if anyone has made their own. I'm thinking if I go to an electric supply store they could help me out but I'd like to hear from ya'll first.
Old 2013-07-03, 6:37am
Gentleman of Leisure

There has to be 100 sources for thermocouples..... Some probably really inexpensive .... Kiln probably uses a "K" type (most popular for kiln heat range we use).... The actual construction of it takes two different wire types and you have to be able to verify the voltage produced by "new" thermal couple is consistent with your controller or meter...

http://www.omega.com/temperature/Z/zsection.asp
http://www.nanmac.com/
http://www.pelicanwire.com/wire-cata...mocouple-wire/
http://www.joppaglass.com/

Maybe these sites will help...

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2013-07-03, 9:27am
Curmudgeon Engineering

I tried it. Sort of worked. Hard to find the right kinds of heavy guage wire to use especially when you only want a couple inches. Readings were off by a fair amount.

What is included in the quoted price? If you are looking for just the probe part of the thermocouple I have seen them at Clay Art Center in Tacoma, WA for about $5. If you add in a couple of feet of the proper hookup wire then a couple bucks more. Add in the connection blocks and you might be up to $15 or so. From there it can get expensive.

PJH
Old 2013-07-03, 11:22am

Thank you Dale. Omega is where I got my information from. I am hoping that an electrical supply store will have the supplies I need as far as the 2 metals for the probe and the wires to connect to the Bartlett 3-key controller I have.

At the junction where the probe and the wires to the controller meet is a small heavy (for it's size) ceramic (?) thing that has numbers on it for gauge and temp and some other things. I need to take a closer look at them to see if I can match them up with the Omega site.

I'm thinking & hoping I can replicate the thermocouple for alot less than it would be to buy one already made.

PJH the quoted price was for the probe and the small ceramic junction where the probe screwes into as well as where the kiln wires also screw into. Yes, it is the probe that is not working. I asked Paragon to test it for me.

I am assuming since I have the original item it may not be so difficult to replicate the correct readings with one I build. Thank you for your input.

Last edited by Elegance_1; 2013-07-03 at 11:49am.
Old 2013-07-03, 1:35pm
Alaska Boro

Have been buying the Skutt 8 Gauge Thermocouple (K type) locally for about $14. Phone Clay Art Center in Tacoma and see what they have available.
Old 2013-07-03, 1:42pm

Thanks Alaska! I didn't see one for $14 but there are a few and also parts to build your own. I'll check to see what type I have as compared to what Clay Art Center is selling. Are these phone numbers correct: 1-800-952-8030 or 1-253-922-5342

There is so much information you need to cull through to get the right one for YOUR controller! It's no wonder they cost so much. Maybe I'm in the wrong business....

Last edited by Elegance_1; 2013-07-03 at 1:46pm.
Old 2013-07-04, 7:43am
Now part of the Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elegance_1 View Post
Thanks Alaska! I didn't see one for $14 but there are a few and also parts to build your own. I'll check to see what type I have as compared to what Clay Art Center is selling. Are these phone numbers correct: 1-800-952-8030 or 1-253-922-5342

There is so much information you need to cull through to get the right one for YOUR controller! It's no wonder they cost so much. Maybe I'm in the wrong business....
A type k thermocouple is a type k thermocouple. The only significant difference is the wire guage, and the insulating material. When you hook the new one up if the temperature is negative switch the wires at the controller.
Old 2013-07-04, 10:01am

I did found out it is a Type K, Thank you Roy for that reminder! And there is always a red coated wire on both the thermocoupler and the controller so connecting it is not going to be a problem. But... there are certain wires to use in the probe assembly that allow it to do the job you need without burning out so fast.

I did find out that a probe cover helps extend the life of the thermocouple. My old one is ceramic, has 2 holes - one for each type of wire and then twisted at the end that comes out and into the kiln. Here's the numbers on the wire connection box:

EL-CO - 3326 (each is left & right side of the block face)
500V (centered between 2 holes)
10mm - T230 (each is left & right side of the block face)

In that order.

It's the 4th and family is coming over. I won't be back to this thread for a while. If you have something to add or an experience to add, I'd love to hear it! There are alot of lookers so I'm thinking this thread is interesting to alot of people.

Last edited by Elegance_1; 2013-07-04 at 10:08am.
Old 2013-07-05, 7:47am
KILN BUILDIN FOOL

20 bucks and I will send you one, with lead wire. we make our own.

Mike

When you tell lie's about someone, well you get what you get.
Old 2013-07-05, 11:00am
MacGalver

Mike is the bomdiggety - if I needed a thermocouple, this what I would do!

Jo

Old 2013-07-05, 8:18pm

Sending you a PM. Thank you!