Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-07-14, 3:21pm
Steph

Default BHB's and aluminium tubing!

I was planning to make some bhb's for a market stall I hope to do, and I normally core my beads with the sterling silver tube from Ginkos!

However, I notice that there is also aluminium tube available and I was wondering if anyone had used it? How was it to work with? Does it shine up nicely like silver?

Generally how does it compare with silver, can you tell the difference! Does it act differently on a bracelet?

Thanks for your thoughts!
xx

My Etsy Shop and Inner Depth Tutorial:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Come like me at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-07-14, 3:44pm
Hobby Junkie

I used it to practice when I first started coring. It works ok. It shines up fine, but the shine doesn't last long. Within a month, it was gray. If the beads are put on leather or cord, the gray rubs off on it.

Old 2013-07-14, 7:13pm

I wonder if it would help to rub with renaissance wax on them.
Old 2013-07-14, 7:21pm
Steph

Thanks Cori and Pat, I don't think I will bother with it then, was looking for a cheaper version, maybe just stick to the copper and brass ones! I think the renaissance wax would just be a temporary fix, as it will eventually wear off!

Come like me at:
Old 2013-07-14, 7:54pm
Melody of Glass

I struggled with it. I found silver a lot easier to core with. I found the aluminum tended to split in the flare more.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2013-07-16, 10:58am
Artistically Absorbed

It is incredibly soft and easy to over do it, and it also doesn't have the shine of the silver.

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2013-07-16, 2:37pm
Steph

Thanks all, I'm so glad I asked before I wasted some money! Good for practice, but if it loses it's shine, then I'd rather use silver!

Come like me at:
Old 2013-07-20, 11:48am

I tried aluminum, but it always split too easily. I couldn't even really practice.

What is the best source for 3/32 sterling silver tubing these days?? Has anyone purchased any recently??

~
~
~
~
Old 2013-07-20, 3:20pm
Melody of Glass

This is where I buy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/ginkodesigns

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...