No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2022-01-10, 2:37pm

Default OxyCon Suggestions

Greetings Everyone!

I know that this has been discussed many times over as I have read through countless threads involving anything I can about oxycons but there is always the fact that a lot of these were written years ago and well things change. Plus, I still have questions.

I am finishing up my studio and have most everything in place so I went to get an Oxygen tank on rent from the one supplier within 2 hours of our remote location and come to find out they are no longer renting tanks. His price for the tanks (as he wants to sell them all) is more than I can get one shipped here new, and quite frankly, I have no desire to be lifting oxygen tanks as I have injuries that come into play. So my hand has been forced into looking at spending even more money before I can get up and running.

This is a long way to say: What oxycons are worth getting these days and who to get one through as I have read enough horror stories of people buying worthless junk that I want to steer clear of the "be cheap to pay later" scenario.

Right now I have a Lynx and expect to graduate to a Scorpion at some point....and hopefully that will be as big as I need to go for my glassy dreams to become reality and I would like to not have to do this again just to change over.

I plan to be working about 4-6 hour days probably 4-5 days a week max....and would like to fully power these torches (not at the same time) rather than only be running at 50-60% as I plan to put them to work with Boro as well as soft....

Now....What I have been looking at as far as GTT's fuel and oxy usage charts say that these two are pretty similar in their needs. Maybe that is not the reality and I would love to know.

My budget is tight as I have just put a lot into the set-up and I need to get to work to pay for it all....so under $2k (as far under as I can get it) is my thought there.

The best candidate I have found from the book knowledge I have is a Airsep Intensity 10lpm 22psi....but I would love to hear if there is something better to consider....or a reason to steer clear....

So any thoughts would be appreciated on what model(s) would work best, good people to buy from and without getting into mudslinging, places to avoid purchasing from.

One last thing is what do I need to think about as far as hooking up from my b-fittings to the oxycon so I can plan that as well.....

Thanks in advance and hope you are all well and enjoying the day!
Old 2022-01-11, 8:32am

That GTT chart info for the Scorpion is with a Bobcat (or possibly Cricket) centerfire. If you will be upgrading to the Scorpion/Lynx model (highly suggested) it would need more like 13.5lpm at 15psi.
Regardless, that Airsep unit is a good choice and will more than maximize both torches. A new unit would be best but it might be just over-budget and require a prescription. The refurb units start around $1300 and come with their own risk.
Devilbiss 1025 is another good choice (10lpm @ 22psi) in the same price range.

I bought a 5lpm Elite from oxygenplusconcentrators and have been satisfied. Good price, good shipping/packing, and it runs well. Doesn't have the starting beep of the alarm which concerns me a bit.

Good luck!
Old 2022-01-11, 9:35am

Thanks rcktscientist....

I had not seen the Devilbiss 1025 yet so I will check it out as well....Hopefully I can find something new as I am weary of the rebuilt stuff (unless someone has a real good reputation for doing things right). I guess longevity is another question and would love to hear if there are differences in that department as well....

If I recall...the Extreme Oxygen set ups are one that I read people having problems with in the past but I have read so much that it is all starting to blurr together. I ask because I came across the EX-20 and Mega-20 at ABR.....Anyone have thoughts / experience with these?

I also appreciate the clarification on the Lynx/Scorpion vs. The Bobcat/Scorpion as well...

Thank you!
Old 2022-01-12, 12:50pm

I have been in discussion with the folks at OxygenPlus Concentrators about the Airsep Intensity and first I must say what a pleasure it was to deal with them. Very patient and took the time to answer all my questions etc....So I just put one on order with them and look forward to getting it hooked up.

Thanks again rcktscientist....I appreciate the support!
Old 2022-01-12, 1:26pm

Anytime. Please let me know how you like the oxycon when you get it. I've thought of purchasing the same one through them and would like a review.

Happy melting!!!